Boner Appreciation Thread

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Bonino is the answer to the question of "how important is hockey IQ vs physical attributes?"

Definitions: 1) I use hockey sense to mostly describe positioning. As in being in the right place to make a play. I also call this having "it." 2) Vision is about doing the right thing with the puck. It normally has more to do with passing to the right person, but I'm using it a little more generally here.

Bonino has great hockey sense and vision. The problem was that he was atrocious at the physical attributes. You could tell, even in his first tryouts at the NHL level, that he had very good instincts. He was always going to the right place. The problem was that he was too slow to get to the puck, and the few times he did get the puck he was muscled off of the puck too easily. I knew he had "it," but didn't have much faith in him improving his skating and strength enough to be an NHL player. Last year he really improved his speed, and this offseason he improved his strength. So now he is a useful player.

What's the one thing in common with many all of our prospects who have exceeded expectations? Having "it." Kunitz had "it," McDonald too. Penner did along the boards. Getzlaf and Perry certainly did. Sexton did not, he was always skating warp speed to the puck, but too late because he was reacting and not predicting. Having "it" does not necessarily lead to points, but I think it's a good sign of an effective player. Ryan sometimes has "it" but I think it's not always there.

And then there's vision, which I think more directly correlates to points. Sbisa has pretty bad vision, which is holding him back some. Cogliano has no vision and no shooting instincts.

So yeah, I can certainly appreciate Bonino's positioning and instincts. If you excel in the mental parts of the game it can often help hide other deficiencies.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Had to activate this again ;) I'm just a fan of him. Bonino is a type of player you need to go deep in the playoffs. So freaking smart.

Btw. what do you think about his next contract. Right now he is on a bargain but how will the next one look like? I would not mind to give him a 5year 10-12.5 mil contract.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Boner was sensational last night, best player on the ice. Win draws, scores, set up teammates, defensively he's just fine, he does it all. He's playing GREAT! :handclap:

Suddenly7

Jun 15, 2012
Anaheim
I might not be in a majority but when the game is on the line I want Bonino on the ice. He knows how to make something happen.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He may not be as good offensively but I think he's a better all around player than Perreault when you factor in his defensive work and special teams ability. He's the perfect 3C on a contending team.

As for his next contract it depends entirely on what numbers he puts up. Right now something in the 3 year range at around $2M - 2.5M per year would be about right but that could all change depending on his production over an 82 game season.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Bonino has defenitely proved me wrong the last couple of years, and he just keeps growing on me. Like snark said, he's not fast or physical, but theres just something about him. For me that "it" is character, Bonino helps your team win games.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Bonino has defenitely proved me wrong the last couple of years, and he just keeps growing on me. Like snark said, he's not fast or physical, but theres just something about him. For me that "it" is character, Bonino helps your team win games.

[rant=]Oddly enough, too many people seem to miss the fact that this is the objective. With all the *****ing and whining that goes on here about player x or player y it seems a lot of people are more concerned with a given individual's success rather than what is best for the team.[/end rant]

Here's to 22 more Boninos! :thumbu:

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
GP: 12
G: 4
A: 4
Pts: 8
P/m: -1

Let's look at his stats now...

GP: 13
G: 4
A: 4
Pts: 8
P/m: +5

I like it...

I-Like-It-A-Lot-Jim-Carrey-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
is this guy on your top powerplay now??

Varies, but you should expect him to see opportunities on it, yes. He's great at digging out loose pucks, and making a lot of good little plays out there. He's very effective.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm the biggest Boner supporter but yesterday... Maybe the worst game he's played, ever. He couldn't control the puck at all, which is his best attribute.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Yeah, but that was a fun game to be at. Especially because it ended early in overtime. I got a ride to the game from my brother, and he wouldn't have lasted more than one OT. Would have sucked to leave that game before Boner's goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad