OT: Bombers Thread: Bombers down Sask. Next West Final @CGY Nov 18

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lol. This is a molehill not a mountain. This doesn't matter, dont let angry rider fans let you think otherwise. Lapolice will be fine, bombers will be fine. Zero chance this wasn't discussed with lapolice. I'm not not buying what lalji is selling. Likely just still sour Lions didn't get Bighill like he promised.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Lol. This is a molehill not a mountain. This doesn't matter, dont let angry rider fans let you think otherwise. Lapolice will be fine, bombers will be fine. Zero chance this wasn't discussed with lapolice. I'm not not buying what lalji is selling. Likely just still sour Lions didn't get Bighill like he promised.

So your position is that a reporter is trying to sow discord in the Bombers because he was wrong in his prediction that a player would sign in BC?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Jones bails and the Riders want to poach a coach 3 weeks out of free agency and the Bombers should say sure interview our oc and take your time

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Jones bails and the Riders want to poach a coach 3 weeks out of free agency and the Bombers should say sure interview our oc and take your time
honestly? i would if i were the Bombers.
let a guy get his promotion. speaks highly of your club.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So your position is that a reporter is trying to sow discord in the Bombers because he was wrong in his prediction that a player would sign in BC?

A throwaway tongue in cheek line is your takeaway. Nice way to illustrate at least part of my point. Things get distorted when going through 3-4 layers (reportedly lapo to a source to lalji to twitter). We dont know what was actually said, how it was said, what the rest of the conversation was, hell dont even know if this was just someone eavesdropping not understanding fully the conversation.

Even IF lapo is actually upset hes a pro who will do his job. O'shea has been a guy many people are quoted to have said they want to work with. One bad incident doesn't change that. Based on how this management staff has been run for past 5 years as a trustworthy and loyal team that does everything it can for its members to me it's a big leap for me to suddenly think they've turned strict to the letter and frustrated a key member without talking to him or working out some agreement.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Saskatchewan is at a disadvantage. Winnipeg isn't. If LaPolice gets hired, now Winnipeg is at a disadvantage. Walters made the right decision.
Imagine the uproar if LaPolice were to leave and the Bombers score 10 points in their season opener.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He's a Lions fan.

So he puts fandom ahead of his job? Still doesn't make much sense.

A throwaway tongue in cheek line is your takeaway. Nice way to illustrate at least part of my point. Things get distorted when going through 3-4 layers (reportedly lapo to a source to lalji to twitter). We dont know what was actually said, how it was said, what the rest of the conversation was, hell dont even know if this was just someone eavesdropping not understanding fully the conversation.

Even IF lapo is actually upset hes a pro who will do his job. O'shea has been a guy many people are quoted to have said they want to work with. One bad incident doesn't change that. Based on how this management staff has been run for past 5 years as a trustworthy and loyal team that does everything it can for its members to me it's a big leap for me to suddenly think they've turned strict to the letter and frustrated a key member without talking to him or working out some agreement.

It was my takeaway because it stood out. I understand it was a bit tongue in cheek but I know how you post about this team so I can believe that you at least half meant it.

The reason I thought LaPo was the source is because of his history on the TSN panel, and the CFL guys there would have direct access to him.

I can believe that they denied it, and I can believe that LaPo believes that he should be allowed to interview. I don't think they denied him because it's the Riders, but because it's late January. Still, who is right in the situation is less impiimpor than the effect it has on his relationship with management. I think he'll do his job in the game, but it's going to have SOME level of effect. Hopefully it's minimal.

Looks like another of your Tier 1 players has re-signed in Jeffcoat.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So he puts fandom ahead of his job? Still doesn't make much sense.

It was my takeaway because it stood out. I understand it was a bit tongue in cheek but I know how you post about this team so I can believe that you at least half meant it.

The reason I thought LaPo was the source is because of his history on the TSN panel, and the CFL guys there would have direct access to him.

I can believe that they denied it, and I can believe that LaPo believes that he should be allowed to interview. I don't think they denied him because it's the Riders, but because it's late January. Still, who is right in the situation is less impiimpor than the effect it has on his relationship with management. I think he'll do his job in the game, but it's going to have SOME level of effect. Hopefully it's minimal.

Looks like another of your Tier 1 players has re-signed in Jeffcoat.

I have no idea what you are talking with the first paragraph. But ok.

Lapo was not the source. Lalji admits that.

I seriously doubt it has any impact at all. Lapo stepped away from other head coach opportunities this year. Maybe he was annoyed for a minute by what he saw as an overreach but it's more than likely he didn't even want the job. So yeah he was maybe irked for a sec about the principle of it that's it. Let's not forget all teams are doing the same. Not just the Bombers. So yeah this at best a non-story that people are building up in their heads.

Jeffcoat is good news. Jeffcoat and Roh are good DEs to have. Rookie international DEs are easy to find, I'm guessing they go that route to save money rather than bring back okpalaugo for rotational purposes but well see.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
At this point in Chris Jones' career I think teams need to realize that the guy is a flight risk when things don't go his way, and he's very willing to put teams into a bad position and bail out.

The LaPolice stuff is overblown I think. The Riders can't seriously expect a team to willingly let someone go this close to when rosters start becoming clear, especially considering that there's now a salary cap for the coaching staff.

I'm also not worried about a lame duck season if people think LaPo will be spiteful. Coaching is all about what the coach has done lately, if the offense struggles his coaching prospects will suffer.
I'd be more worried that LaPolice is going to persuade players to leave with him when he does get another head coaching opportunity for next season. I think it's inevitable and I'd hate to lose a player like Streveler because LaPo's promised him an opportunity to start elsewhere.

Reactions: snowkiddin

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I heard on TSN --that Bomber's management has refused to let LaPolice interview for the head coaching job, in Saskatchewan. If that's true, I guess the bombers have that right, by way of his contract obligations ??

Even if the Bombers have that right -- I still don't think it's the right thing to do, and it will come back to haunt the Bombers. These guys all have families to support, and do their jobs for money -- so why refuse a man the right to better his life situation, unless your willing to match the salary he would have received as a head coach in Sask ??

What's going to happen is there will be hard feelings, and La Police will half heartedly do his job, and won't be really into giving 100 %. In the end, you'll end up losing the guy after his contract runs out anyways because of this.

I say -- let him go an interview --if he get's the job--"good for him" --then hire another offensive coordinator. The offensive coordinator should work under the coaches direction anyways. This is always done in the NFL-- I just don't understand this small minded thinking, and I think it's wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
At this point in Chris Jones' career I think teams need to realize that the guy is a flight risk when things don't go his way, and he's very willing to put teams into a bad position and bail out.

The LaPolice stuff is overblown I think. The Riders can't seriously expect a team to willingly let someone go this close to when rosters start becoming clear, especially considering that there's now a salary cap for the coaching staff.

I'm also not worried about a lame duck season if people think LaPo will be spiteful. Coaching is all about what the coach has done lately, if the offense struggles his coaching prospects will suffer.
I'd be more worried that LaPolice is going to persuade players to leave with him when he does get another head coaching opportunity for next season. I think it's inevitable and I'd hate to lose a player like Streveler because LaPo's promised him an opportunity to start elsewhere.

When the Bombers hired LaPo away from the Riders, they interviewed late January and announced in early February. Yes, the season starts a bit earlier now but I don't think enough to make a significant difference. This is just the Bombers being classless.

Streveler will try the NFL next year. If that doesn't work out, he would be crazy to come back to the Bombers when there is a glaring opportunity for a starting position with the Riders, regardless of whether LaPo is there next season or not. At least by then, Old Man Nichols will have his walker to help him fend off the pass rush. :sarcasm:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I have no idea what you are talking with the first paragraph. But ok.

Lapo was not the source. Lalji admits that.

I seriously doubt it has any impact at all. Lapo stepped away from other head coach opportunities this year. Maybe he was annoyed for a minute by what he saw as an overreach but it's more than likely he didn't even want the job. So yeah he was maybe irked for a sec about the principle of it that's it. Let's not forget all teams are doing the same. Not just the Bombers. So yeah this at best a non-story that people are building up in their heads.

Jeffcoat is good news. Jeffcoat and Roh are good DEs to have. Rookie international DEs are easy to find, I'm guessing they go that route to save money rather than bring back okpalaugo for rotational purposes but well see.

You said "that's your takeaway?", and I said it was because your comment that a reporter would put that out there because a player didn't go to his local team is not something you normally read.

Even if LaPolice was his source, Lalji is not going to say he was.

I don't think it will have any on field impact. Just maybe down the road in a managerial impact, if true. Might make it more difficult to bring in a coach if the org is seen as blocking advancement opportunities.

I do like the string of re-signings as it seems that the dark days of management are behind the org.

None

Feb 22, 2012
When the Bombers hired LaPo away from the Riders, they interviewed late January and announced in early February. Yes, the season starts a bit earlier now but I don't think enough to make a significant difference. This is just the Bombers being classless.

Because Mike Kelly was fired after getting arrested in December 2009 under the most dysfunctional management the team has had in its entire history.
The Bombers would've been asking for permission at the start of December back when they hired LaPo as HC; not 2 weeks into January where a lot of decisions have already been made regarding personnel as free agency approaches.
The difference between the situation in 2009 is that the Bombers likely gave the Riders 6-8 weeks to start looking for a replacement before free agency, not the 1-3 weeks the Riders would be giving the Bombers for the 2019 season.

At the end of the day the Bombers should be doing what's best for the Bombers. The only classless people in this situation are Chris Jones for screwing the Riders so late, and O'Day for throwing Ottawa and Winnipeg under the bus in the media.

Reactions: Flair Hay

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
At the end of the day the Bombers should be doing what's best for the Bombers. The only classless people in this situation are Chris Jones for screwing the Riders so late, and O'Day for throwing Ottawa and Winnipeg under the bus in the media.

Chris Jones did what anybody else would--and that's look out for # 1. His contract had an obligation to the Riders, but had a clause in it, that released him of all contract obligations if an NFL opportunity came up. He was not classless -- he was just looking out for himself, and was written quite clearly in his contract, agreed to by both him and the Riders, This is business, and all about money. Jones did what most people would do, with a better opportunity offer -- "take it and run."

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
This might be a function of the new salary cap. Jones' departure has left the Riders in a bit of a jam, and allowing them to hire Lapo would let them out of a jam.

There's also the problem of the bombers having to replace lapos contract under more difficult conditions now.

Everyones a lot more cautious with the cap in place.

Reactions: None

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I have my suspicions that one of the reasons the Bombers said no to Lapo is that he is our “plan b”. If O’Shea s**t* the bed again this season I bet Lapo becomes HC.

At least I am hoping!!!

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Most of the same people complaining that the Bombers didn’t let LaPolice interview in SSK are the same guys calling Jones a dirtbag for leaving Saskatchewan so close to the season. So why would the Bombers want to lose LaPolice just to help the Riders out of their pickle?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Most of the same people complaining that the Bombers didn’t let LaPolice interview in SSK are the same guys calling Jones a dirtbag for leaving Saskatchewan so close to the season. So why would the Bombers want to lose LaPolice just to help the Riders out of their pickle?
And why would Lapo be flattered by this as well?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
And why would Lapo be flattered by this as well?

Never said he would. I thought they were grooming Pierce to be OC anyway, so they probably should’ve let LaPo interview for SSK. I’m just trying to put things into perspective.

He wouldn’t take the job anyway because he wouldn’t be able to pick his staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad