OT: Bombers 2021 Season - Elk Meat = Delicious. 6-1. Hunting Big Game next v Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So I guess tying players to the city with business deals is the way to go.
Bighill took a big pay cut to stay.
That’s part of it but I also think part of it is the culture the team has managed to build (from Wade Miller down).

I remember years ago when Obby Khan left the Bombers for Calgary he said everything about the Stampeder culture was better and Winnipeg was cheap. This was during the Mack and Buchko years. When Miller took over he set out to change that.

I’ve been critical of O’Shea in the past but there’s been countless stories of players taking less to play for him. Free agents want to sign here because we’re now a top notch organization in the CFL.

I really have to applaud Miller, Walters, and O’Shea for changing the perception of the Bombers and making them a team that guys want to play for.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That’s part of it but I also think part of it is the culture the team has managed to build (from Wade Miller down).

I remember years ago when Obby Khan left the Bombers for Calgary he said everything about the Stampeder culture was better and Winnipeg was cheap. This was during the Mack and Buchko years. When Miller took over he set out to change that.

I’ve been critical of O’Shea in the past but there’s been countless stories of players taking less to play for him. Free agents want to sign here because we’re now a top notch organization in the CFL.

I really have to applaud Miller, Walters, and O’Shea for changing the perception of the Bombers and making them a team that guys want to play for.

There was a time, long ago when I thought the Bombers would be better off if they were owned by True North.

giphy.gif

Reactions: snowkiddin

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Matt Nichols released by the Argos and picked up by Ottawa in the same day.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Arbuckle released by Ottawa, must be because he wouldn’t restructure deal?
I think that was the case for both of them. If Toronto didn't cut Nichols they had to pay him a bonus of more than 200k tomorrow.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Man it’s tough playing in a league with no guaranteed contracts
Even the NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts for everyone. Football seems to be the roughest of all the major North American sports on the business side. Even injured players in the NFL aren't safe, teams often cut injured players and only have to pay out part of their remaining salary for that season.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Everyone is giving Bighill credit for taking a pay cut, like he had a legitimate choice. He was ok at best last year, is he really going to get a big contract or even much more than his reduced salary? Do you think he can keep his side deal as money manager, or whatever the job that was handed to him by the Bombers if he isn’t in Winnipeg?

I question if Bighill will be a starter half way through the season. He didn’t take that cut because of culture or anything other than he took the best deal he could get.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Honestly Edmonton Football Club might be the best option. They can have informal nicknames like the "Green and Gold" that broadcasters can call them.

Reactions: Flair Hay

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Honestly Edmonton Football Club might be the best option. They can have informal nicknames like the "Green and Gold" that broadcasters can call them.
They want something that starts with E so they can keep the EE logo they have been using for a long time. If you call it the Edmonton football club then the EE doesn't really work anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad