Height: 6'5
Weight: 232lbs
Position: Center
Drafted: 2013, round 3, #83 overall
13/14 - KHL: 33gp 7+5=12, 2PIM, +1
13/14 - MHL: 5gp 4+2=6, 0PIM, +2
13/14 - U20: 7gp 1+1=2, 4PIM, +2

eliteprospects.com:
Yakimov is a large center with a terrific set of hands. Owns great playmaking ability and vision. Is very hard to knock off the puck.

hockeysfuture.com:
At 6’4 and 201 pounds, Yakimov is a monster on the ice. He has a strong hockey sense and good positional play, which makes up for his sub-par skating skills. He has impressive hands and good offensive skills considering his lack of foot speed. His size makes him a menace in his own end and hard to knock off of the puck in the offensive zone, but it is unclear whether or not he will have the top level skill to earn him a top-six spot at the NHL level.

Yakimov will need more time to develop and will hope to make the jump to the KHL, which will be a step up from his current second-tier squad. His skills are strong in both ends and his offensive numbers are respectable at this point, but it still remains to be seen as to how he will measure up at the higher level.

futureconsiderations.ca:
Yakimov is a big, tough center who thrives in the face-off circle where he uses his size and strength to over power opponents… He’s solid at both ends of the ice and gets most of his goals and points by getting his nose dirty around the net.

thescoutingreport.org:
Yakimov is a physical monster who is still finding out exactly what he can, and can't do with his frame... Pretty effective skater for his size and does a good job of getting where he needs to go... Has a good skill level but fails to really accomplish much at times... More of a swing-for-the-fence type of pick as a meddling compete level limits his ability to play a Bottom 6 role.

hockeyprospectus.com
Yakimov had a decent season playing in the second-tier Russian pro league, and he was a final cut from the Russian World Junior squad. He is a big center, measuring in at about 6'5". He may not have the top-end tools of a typical top Russian prospect, but he is talented and he plays a good power game. His hands are above average, and while he can certainly make some moves and carry the puck into the opposing zone, he is not an overly creative forward. He also has pretty good hockey sense, as he makes quick decisions, sees the ice well, and positions himself effectively. As mentioned, he is a big body player, but he could use some more muscle to fill out and make the most of his frame. Still, he is effective when protecting the puck on the boards, and he will drive the net, making use of his physical assets. His main issue is his skating, as it is below average. His top speed and his first few steps are subpar, and while has shown some improvement, he must continue to progress in that area.

As it is already confirmed that Yakimov will join the Oklahoma City Barons in 14/15, I figured to create a thread for my favourite Oilers prospect. Like you see from the scouting reports, Yakimov isn't your prototypical Russian player. He has a lot of offensive talent, but Yakimov's biggest strength is his defensive game. He's monster at faceoffs, he has great positioning and he is able to steal the puck away from opponents with his long reach. Also, when he gets the puck, it's nearly impossible to take it away from him. His puck protecting is ridiculously good and he's able to make great passes after having the puck for a long time in the offensive zone. He has received a lot of flack because of his below average skating, but he looked surprisingly fast in the U20 WJC's.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he made his NHL debut next season.

If he busts, you can blame me because of the title. :sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
If he were great in the KHL it wouldn't be worth much over here... being mediocre in the KHL ain't worth jack squat. He might be big but has he ever been exposed to the rough game on small ice at all? Big doesn't mean tough.

I don't think he has it in him to put in the hard work in NA that it'd take to make the NHL. I think he'll play 2 years in the AHL before becoming impatient and returning to Europe. My faith in Russian kids is at an all time low right now, it's too easy for them to cut a living in the KHL where they're comfortable, relative to what it takes to make the NHL. Which is all the more reason I think Yakapov deserves some credit despite his shortcomings.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
He could turn out to be Hanzel type with better offence . My favorite prospect as well was hoping they chose him with 2nd round pick. Very happy they got him with 3rd. He also had better stats then Nichuskin in the Mhl at same age.

Last edited:

SchultzSquared*

Think he could be our Anisimov... would be nice to develop the first center in house since... oh... Stoll/Brodziak like eleven years ago

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Could develop into a good 3c, or anisimov type center. He is the exact prospect we need.

Hopefully he works on skating a lot in the off season. But his game seems better suited from NA.

I can't comment on his attitude, but the fact he came to NA for the draft, was planning on coming to TC(but couldn't due to Visa issues) despite being under contract in the KHL one more year, proves he's motivated to play in North America. I think he plays a full year in the AHL then cracks the squad the year after.

I really, really hope this guy is developed properly

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Meh. Even if he works out, we r talking about 3 seasons from now. Sure, the pipeline is important, but right now, all I care about is next year.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Could develop into a good 3c, or anisimov type center. He is the exact prospect we need.

Hopefully he works on skating a lot in the off season. But his game seems better suited from NA.

I can't comment on his attitude, but the fact he came to NA for the draft, was planning on coming to TC(but couldn't due to Visa issues) despite being under contract in the KHL one more year, proves he's motivated to play in North America. I think he plays a full year in the AHL then cracks the squad the year after.

I really, really hope this guy is developed properly

Just kind of a note, it was Slepyshev that had visa problems. Yakimov was here for rookie camp, but wasn't at main camp because the KHL season had already started.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Got to be some sort of a downside here. Seems to be exactly what we need. Drafted in 3rd round last year #83 overall.

reasons why he fell

1) Was ranked as a first rounder--but has made it clear he is happy in the KHL
2) Seen him play twice and he seemed to be lost when away from the play and not able to read the flow of the play too well
3) Because of his size I think he hides his skating ability abit. Has trouble skating backwards sometimes

those are the three reasons that jump to mind

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I look forward to seeing him in OKC next year if/when he signs his ELC. It'll be nice to see some size with some skill on the farm for once. Yakimov, Moroz and Khaira will add some much needed size to our system.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I look forward to seeing him in OKC next year if/when he signs his ELC. It'll be nice to see some size with some skill on the farm for once. Yakimov, Moroz and Khaira will add some much needed size to our system.

I hope khaira gets sent to junior for #1c time.

Have center depth of lander-yakimov-ewaynk -xxx next year

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
btw

Flame away

But I have been told one or both russians we draft will be at rookie camp this september--but will head back to the KHL for the season--have not had this confirmed by a guy I know who works for the KHL

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
btw

Flame away

But I have been told one or both russians we draft will be at rookie camp this september--but will head back to the KHL for the season--have not had this confirmed by a guy I know who works for the KHL
We have 3 (4 with Yak)

Zharkov/slepyshev are under KHL contract. Yakimov said he's coming to okc (might have signed a contract already)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
btw

Flame away

Well Slepyshev can't play in the AHL next season anyway. It would be nice if Yakimov did though. If not, he'd still be very young and so another year or two in the KHL wouldn't be the worst thing.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We have 3 (4 with Yak)

Zharkov/slepyshev are under KHL contract. Yakimov said he's coming to okc (might have signed a contract already)

Whoa, how many people do you know in the KHL? :sarcasm:

I was talking about the two Russians we drafted last draft

because of a job I have in the real world that allows me to mingle with European hockey types--I some times come across information that is useful. The job I do mostly has to do with the British Elite League and SHL in dealing with marketing and sales. The job is part of my MBA studies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad