Boeser, Hughes, Miller, Horvat, ASSETS!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Lol wtf? Blow up the core? The problem of the team is not the core. It is the piss poor depth and support cast due the awful signings from Benning. This season alone we have a ton of cap tied to: Sutter, Myers, Baerstchi, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, Eriksson, Ferland...... that is a hilarious list of players that have 0 impact on team success. All those guys could be out of the lineup and it would not change a single thing for the team. Imagine those 8 trash players became 5-6 USEFUL players. The team would be completely different. These guys are not awful by hindsight either. They were awful signings the minute it happened.

Agreed, this is highly premature.

First off it remains to be seen what the market will be this summer. Things should start getting back to normal next fall, but there's still some uncertainty, the cap is still flat, and we just got off a season with no gate receipts. Guys like Schmidt were going for 3rd rounders last summer, and it likely isn't going to be any different in a few months.

Second, at the core of these current rumour from ownership about Francisco and Benning and a complete shakeup is a concern about the 'brand'. The current Canucks core does not have a branding problem, quite the opposite in that it's actually quite strong. Rather the problem is the mess of a team Benning built around them that drags that combined plays losing hockey. I'd say the first order of business for the hopefully imminent new management team is to work some Mike Gillis-like magic and turn things around. The caveat here is that while the attempt is likely to be expected ownership has to realize it may not be possible, and if not at the end of next season then you can start looking at trading some guys.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
The window with this core should open the year after next, but that will only ring true if we’re smart with signings / trades.

What’s somewhat disappointing about this team is the defense is severely lagging behind the forward group in terms of quality. We really need a legit RHD who can play big minutes, and we really need to assess what we have in Rathbone and Juolevi to determine if they’re good long term solutions.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Miller and Schmidt are the best options to move, would return the best assets, and neither are ages to contribute to this teams contention window.

Unless new management this summer has a super smart quick retool plan, then the case can be made to keep one (miller) or both.

Reactions: rypper

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Our core has not even reached it's peak yet and we want to break it up? Nonsense. We all know that nothing is going to move this team forward until the cap is freed up. Now is not the time to panic. Both coaching and management will have to cycle before we consider changing the core. 2~ 3 years minimum.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I think the best way to approach building a contender is giving this core 1-2 more years for a new GM to try to build a contender (like Holland's arrival in Edmonton). If they can't cut it, build around Pettersson/Hughes/Demko/Boeser and trade any combination of Miller, Schmidt, or Horvat for younger players/prospects/picks to address areas of weakness. Let's see what our new GM can do with a bit of cap space in 2022 before making any massive trades.

Reactions: Get North

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think the best way to approach building a contender is giving this core 1-2 more years for a new GM to try to build a contender (like Holland's arrival in Edmonton). If they can't cut it, build around Pettersson/Hughes/Demko/Boeser and trade any combination of Miller, Schmidt, or Horvat for younger players/prospects/picks to address areas of weakness. Let's see what our new GM can do with a bit of cap space in 2022 before making any massive trades.

This is basically how I see the basic template going into next season, using cap friendly to put a quick roster together without worrying about too much details

Buyout: Eriksson, Holtby, Virtanen
LTIR: Ferland, Beagle (if Beagle gets healthy there will likely be someone to replace him
Big RFA resignings: Petterson 8x3, Hughes 6x3
Minor RFA/UFA resignings: Podzolkin, Graovic, Juolevi (about $3M total)

23 man lineup (strong 3C configuration | strong top 2 lines):
Podzkolzin-Petterson-Boeser | Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Hoglander-Horvat-Pearson | Hoglander-Horvat-Podzkolzin
Roussel-Miller-Highmore | Roussell-Graovac-Pearson
Motte-Graovac-McEwan | Motte-Highmore-McEwan
Gadjovich, Lockwood

Hughes-Myers
Juolevi-Schmidt
Rathbone-Woo
Bowey

Demko
DiPietro

Cap Hit: $73,025,212
Cap Space: $8,474,788 (calculated by Cap friendly with all the buyouts and everything)

So not amazing outright but the key here is there's enough cap space there that a shrewd GM could turn this team around. The key is to find a quality replacement for Highmore|Graovac in the lineup, an appropriate partner for Hughes bumping Myers down and Woo/Bowey out, then the simple task of getting an appropriate backup.

Going by last season for example, if we could add a Tyler Toffoli and an Artem Zub, then combine that with quality coaching, and you're not going to be competing with the top contenders but the team could rise to 2nd tier status and make it to the second round, much like the 08-09 Canucks.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
LOL

you trade Hughes and Boeser.

do you want to know what that gets you?
That gets you Pettersson asking for a trade GUARANTEED.

15 year Buffalo Sabre rebuild 2.0
Yeah, there was already a minor rebellion in this core for losing Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli. In some ways, this group is great, but there is a definite attitude in the room which would not accept the team stepping back into a rebuild.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Miller feels like he's already one foot out the door, unless something changes next year with the team and it's success.

Schmidt feels like an obvious trade if the team isn't going anywhere next year or beyond given his age. Depends on the direction they go.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
One thing that might have escaped most folks notice it time.

Trading for these players entering their prime adds substantially to any trade.
For some teams like Buffalo, desperate to soothe their superstar Eichel Boeser might look really good as a past teammate (US) and be worth a lot to them. I would go after Dahlin, for them it eliminates a time element of waiting for a player like him to develop. There could be a couple of players to exchange that help both teams, Buffalo needs to be successful now after two rebuilds, they need this one. Hall cost 8 mil, Brock leaves them with 3 extra and trade possibilities.

Hughes would add entertainment and excitement in the regular season for any team needing to help put bums in the seats. Arizona, in a self imposed cap crunch, so Chyrchun and OEL for QH and OJ? They want cap relief and entertainment.

Horvat is a leader, would Detroit not want him? Or Hughes? Columbus might even offer up Laine

An added bonus for any team is time, so they might be inclined to trade top prospects or picks. Vancouver fans know this team needs way more players to be competitive and the next two years are doing nothing until the cap situation is resolved

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
After the retention of Benning and his statement this might become....less fantasy?

I still believe Boeser should be shopped for a top STUD DEFENCE man, not a rover who can't play in his own zone.
Boeser first because his contract will encumber the cap and Benning is still here so he could be looking at a 12 a year deal, who knows, it certainly has never looked like Benning was thinking beyond "we will see what tomorrow brings".
Dig Dahlin out of Buffalo, just look at the playoffs now, DEFENCE and defence depth.
Boeser might score 30 a year for the next 5 years, but Dahlin could be a true Norris candidate for a decade or longer.
AND all hockey people will tell you how hard it is to find a player that can play that good both ways.
Show me ANY Norris trophy winner that couldn't play in his own zone or had minus numbers or was under 5'10" As I posted before, Hughes is for regular season entertainment, he isn't going to grow into his body, his is full man size now and has been for 3 years.
This team needs large, over 6'2" players back on defence.

Oh something I read, several teams are enquiring about Tryamkin, their team players that played him before were ...... impressed, impacted, made them turn their heads to see who was on the ice.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Only two of those named could be considered core players in 4 years, if the team has 30 years old players as core again then the team is already in a retooling stage.

Fundamentally there's nothing wrong with a retool if your core players are still in their prime. The Penguins retooled with Crosby and Malkin. It all depends on how effective those 30 year olds are and the supporting players. When we almost win the Cup in 2011 the Sedins were 30, which is the same age Horvat would be.

If your team is led by 30+ year olds with nobody in their early to mid 20s playing in the top 6 or playing in the top 4, have an aging goaltender, and you're not Cup contenders then yes you're in trouble. But simply having Horvat and say even Miller (if he is extended) being over 30 doesn't meant that the team can't compete. If the Canucks don't add any further core players over the next 4 years then yes we're looking at another retool. But if Pods or Hoglander etc. have emerged as core pieces while our other core players have managed to maintain their level of effectiveness then it's fine.

It's hard to predict the future. It makes a big difference to the fortunes of the team when you have a star player emerge. Heck, look at the impact Miller had in his first season here. Even with a team like Boston managed to retool on the strength of Marchand development and the addition of Pastrnak.

Takumi3000

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Even if you guys were right in the fact that we need to ship some of these guys away in favor of a proper rebuild, it ain't happening. Why? Well this management group has never committed to a proper rebuild. They are literally allergic to gaining any draft picks throughout their time here. Most of our high picks were due to unintentional tanking. Their actions have shown us that all they care about is making the playoffs for revenue. The Stanley Cup is not in the cards. But the irony is that this shortcut approach is actually hurting them long term and making them look like fools.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Even if you guys were right in the fact that we need to ship some of these guys away in favor of a proper rebuild, it ain't happening. Why? Well this management group has never committed to a proper rebuild. They are literally allergic to gaining any draft picks throughout their time here. Most of our high picks were due to unintentional tanking. Their actions have shown us that all they care about is making the playoffs for revenue. The Stanley Cup is not in the cards. But the irony is that this shortcut approach is actually hurting them long term and making them look like fools.

Aqua just wants the revenue and Jim just wants to add to his resume. They are in agreement with this

Jim wants to show the league that he can put together a playoff caliber team, he wants to show that he took a team from basically nothing and gave them playoff experiences mainly by using a rich owners pocket book and the UFA/Trade market . This is perfect for him as most of the league is trying to win and make the playoffs year in and year out as they already have the rest of their young core and onward put together, so when Jim get's fired he knows he will have better chances to find important work elsewhere. Jim was never here to build a sustainably successful team, he is here to spend mega $$$ to try and build a veteran team that can enter the playoffs, even if it means an inevitable early round exit(anything can happen.....F off) Jim is here to make aqua happy and earn himself brownie points around the league, showing he can sign and target the proper Veterans via FA an trade(It has failed)

Aqua get's the revenue and JB get's to add to his resume. That's the extent of this teams "plan"

That's my theory, anyways. Why else would you squander so many picks and young assets and spend so much ****ing money on nothingness?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I feel like Hughes is the type of player you trade and then immediately realize you need another one of him. The others should all be fair game. Miller ain't making it with this group I think and Horvat's right on the edge. If someone wants to overpay for Boeser, go for it.

The guys we are going to be consistent playoff threats likely haven't even been drafted yet.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This ownership/management is not trading any of these guys unless the player himself asks for it so these are all just fantasy GM scenarios.

I’ll play along for the fun of it though. I’d trade Miller and Schmidt, even taking on a short term cap dump in return to maximize the return. I’d try to attach an asset to Myers to dump him onto some dinosaur GM. Bo makes sense to trade but I just don’t think it would sit well with Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser and Demko so I’d be hesitant to do unless I could sit them all down and sell them on a short term pain, long term gain plan.

I’d just take the hit on the current bad deals with no buyouts other than Virtanen and wait for them to run out(outside of Myers). Pearson could eventually be moved, I’d maybe even look at moving him for a cap dump on similar or shorter term and get a pick or prospect as a sweetener for doing so. I’d also call all GM’s in cap hell during the next 12 months and let them that I’m open for business when it comes to taking on short term cap dumps as long as I can fit it under my cap. Also look at the UFA market to sign guys to one year deals and potentially flip at the TDL.

The plan would be to absorb the speed bump during these next 2 seasons and then hopefully start to push for the playoffs with a healthy cap situation and added picks/prospects from the trades mentioned above to either use to develop or used as assets in the trade market to bolster the roster.

Reactions: AppleHoneySauce

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Trade these guys and there's no making the playoffs in 2 years. By the time we do, EP and Hughes will be the same age as the players we offload, Demko will be Markstroms age... Back to the same problem.

Eventually we need to retain good players. BB, Bo and JT all have a lot of great years left. Chances are EP and Hughes are our top guys, the rest of the team doesn't need to be their age. Make some good draft picks, hope for Rath, Hog and Pod to work out, get rid of trash players.

Most importantly, get a real coaching staff. Amazing what that can accomplish.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Have you been made aware the Canucks extended the current coach last week?

I ignored the beginning of your post because it doesn’t make sense to close your eyes, cross your fingers and hope if the most important thing is for sure not happening for at least a year.

Edit* to those above saying it’s about revenue. That doesn’t make sense. I don’t think they need cash. They just set low goals to continue to be in power and dunk on the haters who question thr low bar. It’s about power, ego, and “getting into the dance”.

Last edited:
Reactions: rypper

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Just to tell you Canucks fans that i realy like your team i tough at the start of the season you will fight with Toronto for the 1st place of the division can't realy understand what happen but if i was the Canucks GM i won't trade anyone you got a hell of a club and in a regular season without covid i'm pretty sure Vacouver will win a lot of games . Buy the Way do you see JT Miller more at LW or center ???

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Trade these guys and there's no making the playoffs in 2 years. By the time we do, EP and Hughes will be the same age as the players we offload, Demko will be Markstroms age... Back to the same problem.

Eventually we need to retain good players. BB, Bo and JT all have a lot of great years left. Chances are EP and Hughes are our top guys, the rest of the team doesn't need to be their age. Make some good draft picks, hope for Rath, Hog and Pod to work out, get rid of trash players.

We are not making the playoffs with them

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
I don’t think anyone on this team is “untouchable”. If the right deal comes along, you take it. The core is great but it’s surrounded by...crap! When those crap players get off the books, the core maybe a year older but still in their primes. Saying that, it’s a bit premature to blow it up.

the problem is management has not traded any assets at the deadline to gather more prospects or picks in JB regime. Why the hell they don’t sell at the deadline is beyond belief!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad