Boeser, Hughes, Miller, Horvat, ASSETS!

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Only two of those named could be considered core players in 4 years, if the team has 30 years old players as core again then the team is already in a retooling stage.

Why Boeser - He has really improved his game but; he is still slow, numerous injuries and his next contract.
He is a 60 point guy and his next qualifying offer is around 8 million a year, that is too much. Still he would have a really good return in picks, players or prospects.
Why Hughes - He is an entertainer for the regular season, he skates great and has an offensive flair but he is devastating defensively for the amount of ice time he needs to put up his numbers, small, he rarely wins any board battles and he has started to shy away for contact. He still has a reputation and is dynamic, for the regular season.
Why Miller - Well who said he even wants to be here? He took a home town discount to stay in Tampa and then was traded as far away from his family as possible and had his salary chopped by 20% with additional taxes and expenses. His performance here combined with his decent contract has added to a return.
Why Horvat - C'mon, the guy has been a trooper. He has suffered through 7 years of failure, he deserves a chance somewhere else, a new address, he would get a very superior return.

This is what will have to happen to build a championship team, young players close to the same age

Boeser, Horvat and Miller should be on a team that is a contender now, this is their window, the next 3 years, they have already wasted 3 years.

The next 3 years of the draft will be deep again, this year maybe not so much but better to have a firm plan in place.

Besides a really good GM might be able to turn those 4 into 6 to 8 top line players that are 4 years younger and still be making the show after one year.

Just look at Ottawa, hated owner, ridiculed but with a firm plan and now, well under the cap with cap control for the next 6 years, a very young exciting team that has already far surpassed the Canucks in only 3 years from the blow up.

This is similar to what Colorado had to do.

I forgot to add Schmidt, another who didn't ask to be here and took a 20% pay cut.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Benning can’t be the one who trades Horvat. Guaranteed it will be like when Buffalo traded O’Reilly.
Any of those players could be great on another team, they are good now.
But this team is just not, organized for another word, just not enough star level players of the same age.
The window in the new NHL for players is 21 to 28 unless they are at the highest levels, sure they will still contribute but not carry the load so much or drive the team.
At first any deal will look not great for the Canucks because like Toffoli, they are already peaking and are now "vets"

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
All 4 are very good players, I'm sure that the Oilers would have interest in a right shooting sniper like Boeser. IMO Hughes and Horvat are guys that you should keep and build around.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
Once boesers contract is up the tv deal will kick in and the cap will go up plus loui, luo, rousell and beagles contracts will all be off the books. You might not like paying the 7.5 mill but he would get that on any team so why not us when we are pretty much guaranteed 30 goals from him. Hes still only 23 atm

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
The only one that I could see leaving is Miller. And there would be a decent chance of that as well.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Why Miller - Well who said he even wants to be here? He took a home town discount to stay in Tampa and then was traded as far away from his family as possible and had his salary chopped by 20% with additional taxes and expenses. His performance here combined with his decent contract has added to a return.

I forgot to add Schmidt, another who didn't ask to be here and took a 20% pay cut.

BINGO! You win a cookie. Players don't want to play here. Some players play like they don't want to be here. Then there's Green and Benning. It's a mess.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Hughes still proved himself to be one of the league's better offensive defensemen at his young age. Evidently his defensive game needs a lot of work but talks of trading him are ridiculously premature. Boeser and Horvat are still plenty young and nowhere near declining, no reason to trade them unless we're cap screwed. Even if Boeser gets paid 8M you aren't going to find his production anywhere in UFA. You only move him if guys like Hoglander and Podzkolzin prove their mettle and need to be accommodated under the cap.

Miller might walk considering his circumstances, but again - players like him don't grow on trees. If you can retain him for fair market value, you do.

There's no point in blowing the team up. Despite Benning pissing away years of competitiveness, after next season there will still enough youthful talent to make runs for 3-4 years.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Once boesers contract is up the tv deal will kick in and the cap will go up plus loui, luo, rousell and beagles contracts will all be off the books. You might not like paying the 7.5 mill but he would get that on any team so why not us when we are pretty much guaranteed 30 goals from him. Hes still only 23 atm
TV deal won't matter, 7.5 or 8 million is too much for a 60 point guy and he will be 25 next July.
Media has been going on about the "young core" but nobody is actually looking, in 2 years Horvat is 28

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
TV deal won't matter, 7.5 or 8 million is too much for a 60 point guy and he will be 25 next July.
Media has been going on about the "young core" but nobody is actually looking, in 2 years Horvat is 28
Except its not. Who do you expect to take his spot?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Besides a really good GM might be able to turn those 4 into 6 to 8 top line players that are 4 years younger and still be making the show after one year.

There's a lot I think wrong with the general post but this part here is really fantasy land. When you make a trade like this it's because the team needs a reset or you're about to lose the player, and it's more likely that the deal backfires than you come out well ahead.

The Colorado Duchene trade always gets referenced but that was a huge outlier. They got two pieces for Duchene, a 1st round pick from a team that expected to be in the playoffs but ended up being a 4th overall, and Kyle Turris who they flipped to Nashville for prospect Dman Samuel Girard a recent 2nd round pick starting his first pro year who then had a massive breakout.

This is like a once a decade exceptional trade a team can make. And using Colorado here is also blindly overlooking the Ryan O'Reilly trade where the pieces received (Zadorov, Grigorenko, Compher, 2nd who never made it) 6 years later still don't and never will be equal to the value of Ryan O'Reilly. And that was actually a massive haul at the time and a reasonably good return for them.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Not sure I'd be on board with this. Getting rid of 23 and under players, signals a perpetual rebuild.

Ottawa looks promising at the moment, but they haven't accomplished anything aside from that.

New management is the top priority, well before blowing it up and emulating a young basement-dweller.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I look at it like this considering who to trade:

1. Miller
2. Horvat
3. Boeser

Miller is obvious. It’s clear as shit he doesn’t want to be here. Away from his family, COVID issues at the start of the season, shit hockey team, terrible coach and incompetent management. The team will be shit again next year due to no bottom 6 and a terrible d core. Need to trade him while he still has high value.

Horvat is second mainly because of value and him being a UFA in 2 years. Team should really go to him now on an extension but management clearly doesn’t operate past the current day. If Horvat does not have a current appetite to extend, you hold onto him till a clear picture of EPs health is known. If EP is fully healthy, have to consider trading him next year with his comments around not wanting to be part of a rebuild.

Boeser is 3rd because his value is over the map, still an RFA after his deal and he can score goals. Personally I’d trade him if the return was there but the potential return could be anything.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Wasnt there a rumor at the 2019 draft that the Nucks were looking at trading Horvat to the Avalanche for their 4th (Byram) and 16th (Newhook)? Might have been more to it, but something along those lines..? At the time i would have done it...still probably would.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Wasnt there a rumor at the 2019 draft that the Nucks were looking at trading Horvat to the Avalanche for their 4th (Byram) and 16th (Newhook)? Might have been more to it, but something along those lines..? At the time i would have done it...still probably would.

I think the Avs would have to add a roster player as well (Compher, Jost), but otherwise this is a deal you take an run with.

That’s coming from a huge Horvat fan too!

Horvat would help the Avs contend for a cup, while those two help us build for the future.

Having Horvat as 2C is a premium, and is almost a waste due to the weak areas for the rest of the treat.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I didn't hear that one. The only rumour I heard was our pick (10th) for Barrie.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I think any of them could be traded under the right circumstances. Some more likely than others.

Miller. Easily the top choice, as his value remains high after another strong year production wise. There’d be many teams that would add. He’s done admirably to fill in as a centre, but he wouldn’t be a long term option if we were to say move Horvat.

Boeser. If Hoggy and Pod turn out better than expected (ie legit 1st liners) and we a acquire a quality winger in FA (like a Toffoli) you’d have to consider it if you could get a phenomenal haul for him. Think a Duchene type haul, or a top dman in the same age bracket.

Horvat- ditto. At a more valuable position to boot. Horvat is held in high regard, and will be valued appropriately. Horvat often looks like he can become a 70pt 2C, but hasn’t got there yet. I think it would come down to how the new brass (hopefully) see his upside, AND when they feel our window is. If they think we can contend in the next 2-3 years we keep him, but if its 4-5years maybe not.

Hughes- this year has been a difficult one, how he responds in kind next year will be telling. The knock on him including in his draft year, was his defensive play. With his skating and IQ there is no reason Hughes couldn’t become better in his own end (think Niedermayer/Leetch like), but is a matter of his commitment to improving this aspect of his game. As it stands his upside is more like a Phil Housley ceiling with a Tyson Barrie floor.

If you could get an incredible haul, you’d have to think about it. It would have to be incredible with another stud D prospect coming back the other way with additional pieces.

I don’t know how many teams would have the assets, maybe LAK. NJD possibly, they pay a premium to link up the Hughes brothers though (Ty Smith + 1st minimum).

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
I'm game for trading these guys along with Schmidt and Myers. Would trade now for 2022 and 2023 1sts as their are projected franchise changing players available.

I think it's important to pick who you trade with very carefully.

Would trade with PIT, WAS, WIN, and CGY as they seem ready for a decline but may be trying to extend their window.

A lot of teams need to reload their rebuild and I think it's wiser to do that then lock into what I think will be an also ran type situation.

May want to resign Hughes and Petey before trading Boeser.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Not all the assets need be traded for picks. Although it could be wise to go for 2022 or 2023 1rst's.
Particular players could be targeted like, but not necessarily, Sergachev, Dahlin, Cernak, Chyrchun, Eichel, players from teams that are capped out or are going to lose decent players to expansion.
Boeser's qualifying offer is 7.8 mil or he walks.
Hughes is an entertainer, a fan draw during the regular season. But unreliable defensively, currently 63% ozone starts, shielded.
Horvat is just because he should be rewarded for being a good soldier
Miller - explained
Schmidt - ditto, same as above
Miller and Schmidt are not examples of FA's not wanting to come here, neither was a FA and both had deals that didn't include Canadian taxes or added living expenses. Both were also unwanted by their teams and were traded so those teams could improve on them. They were just too expensive, dollar/point

I would not bat an eyelash at a blockbuster with Buffalo

Miller, Boeser and Hughes for Dahlin and Eichel, maybe with added pieces thrown in

Tampa needs to clear 12 mil in cap space. Juloevi for ?

Vegas has a 3rd line center that could be 2nd line here easily Just saying there are lots of opportunities for these assets value.

Should the team continue as it is being set up they will have a 3 year window for a CHANCE to play in a cup final, but 4 or 5 years down the road. MAYBE

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Lol wtf? Blow up the core? The problem of the team is not the core. It is the piss poor depth and support cast due the awful signings from Benning. This season alone we have a ton of cap tied to: Sutter, Myers, Baerstchi, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, Eriksson, Ferland...... that is a hilarious list of players that have 0 impact on team success. All those guys could be out of the lineup and it would not change a single thing for the team. Imagine those 8 trash players became 5-6 USEFUL players. The team would be completely different. These guys are not awful by hindsight either. They were awful signings the minute it happened.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Horvat and Miller absolutely need to be traded. I would consider shopping Boeser too, though I don't think it's critical that we trade him. If we are offered an excellent futures package for him then he's gone. But Horvat and Miller are too old to be part of that future core. As sad as that is given their age. That's the impact of sticking with a bad GM for as long as we have.

I would also target 2023 1st round picks heavily, from teams that are older today and trying to squeeze out one final win. Looking at Pittsburgh, Washington, and even St. Louis. We could luck into a similar situation that Ottawa found themselves in last year with San Jose's pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad