Boeser Hatty and Pettersson 5 points (so far)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I think Petterson's one of those "above and beyond" special players. The way he's taking the league by storm reminds me of the early days of Erik Karlsson, where the doubters kept waiting for him to slow down, but instead he just kept proving there was a bigger and bigger gap between himself and his peers.

I'm not even a Canuck fan, but I find myself watching them just to see if Petterson's going to wow me. I doubt I'm alone in that, and I don't think people do that for just "good" players. His skillset is something I haven't seen in a while.
He’s the only one I have seen that when people mention the great one with similarities I don’t completely laugh.

He’s not gonna put up his points or anything crazy like that, but his hockey IQ So ahead of its time it’s not even funny.

He’s just a special player

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Probably because Barzel is from the Vancouver area and Boeser is an american

Yeah as a Canucks fan I know the parents and kids who played with Barzal growing up.

We always knew he was head and shoulders above everyone else and were cheering on his rookie season, even if it meant Brock couldn’t win the Calder.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
All the great young players of this new generation play and think the game so differently, not only from their peers, but from the many greats who have come before

Playstyle personality has been sorely lacking through much of the 2000s (with a couple of exceptions). Looked for a while like NHL players were inevitably being morphed into this gigantic, boring homogenous blog, dictated entirely by deeply ingrained systems and the whims of the coaches

It's now getting to the point where we have an embarrassment of riches in this deperatment. Pettersson is another great addition to the NHL; not only an immensely talented player, but an immensely unique and interesting one to boot.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Ok where's Edmonton's Quinn Hughes? Bo Horvat?
The team isn't just Pettersson and Boeser. That's exactly how you get the Edmonton Oilers. I think we are 1 more top pick away from probably being overkill up front but need another top 6 winger.
You are really overrating Vancouvers depth.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He’s the only one I have seen that when people mention the great one with similarities I don’t completely laugh.

He’s not gonna put up his points or anything crazy like that, but his hockey IQ So ahead of its time it’s not even funny.

He’s just a special player

I think anybody who's watched him more than a handful of times "gets it." Nobody's saying he's as good as Gretzky. It's more like, "There's no way he should be getting away with the things he gets away with, and the last time I saw somebody do that was Gretzky." Even moreso than Datsyuk, because Dats was about 5'11 and fairly strong for his size, or at least strong on his skates, whereas Petterson looks downright frail on the ice, but it doesn't seem to matter most of the time. And yeah, over and over, he just does things he's not supposed to get away with.

And I think that's all the Gretzky comparison is. Nobody's saying he's going dominate the league, or even win a scoring championship. Although, the more I see him, the more I think the latter is a real possibility.

Reactions: E40 and Canucks LB

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I think anybody who's watched him more than a handful of times "gets it." Nobody's saying he's as good as Gretzky. It's more like, "There's no way he should be getting away with the things he gets away with, and the last time I saw somebody do that was Gretzky." Even moreso than Datsyuk, because Dats was about 5'11 and fairly strong for his size, or at least strong on his skates, whereas Petterson looks downright frail on the ice, but it doesn't seem to matter most of the time. And yeah, over and over, he just does things he's not supposed to get away with.

And I think that's all the Gretzky comparison is. Nobody's saying he's going dominate the league, or even win a scoring championship. Although, the more I see him, the more I think the latter is a real possibility.
Just a great post. well said

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Or your undervaluing it for the sake of hating on Benning. Realize where we are in a rebuild.
When have I ever even mentioned Bennings name before this? Go ahead check my posting history. And NO comparing Vancouvers situation to the situation that Edmonton(granted I do not expect Vancouver to be rebuilding for the next decade) is in is not hating on Benning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad