Bobrovsky signs: 2 years, 11.25 million, (post 854)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Some seem to be suggesting that Mason sucked because he got paid early. Mason sucked here because he sucked here, not because he got paid. Entitlement was an issue, but that apparently started long before he got his extension.

Understand your point, we got screwed because we screwed ourselves.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Actually almost 3 mill too much. Schneider just got 3 years 12 million a season ago. Contracts like Price and now Smith have screwed up the goalie market.

overall, yes...I'd prefer him down around 3m...but like you said, the market is screwed up...i guess we should be happy its done before Rask signs...

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline now
#CBJ G Sergei Bobrovsky deal: 2 years, 11.25 million. AAV $5.625M.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Actually almost 3 mill too much. Schneider just got 3 years 12 million a season ago. Contracts like Price and now Smith have screwed up the goalie market.

I don't think Schneider is a comparable. The Vezina win changed everything. Rightly or wrongly it put Bob into the same stratosphere as Quick and Mike Smith. Once Smith signed that deal, I knew that Bob would be in the same range. Imagine now what it will be like to re-sign him in two years if he continues the caliber of goaltending we saw last season? 7.5 to 8?

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
I don't think Schneider is a comparable. The Vezina win changed everything. Rightly or wrongly it put Bob into the same stratosphere as Quick and Mike Smith. Once Smith signed that deal, I knew that Bob would be in the same range. Imagine now what it will be like to re-sign him in two years if he continues the caliber of goaltending we saw last season? 7.5 to 8?

If he continues that caliber of goaltending then we have a goalie that has played at a Vezina level for three seasons. Bummer.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
With this signing, the Jackets now have 9,591,191 in cap space. They could easily spend 7.5M of this. Trade Umberger and this increases the amount available. I had to keep banging on Umby, but I'm not sure his contract makes any sense here anymore.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Would have been nice if they kept it closer to $4.75-5.25MM per, but it's not going to kill their cap or anything.

Currently the 10th highest cap hit for a goalie in the league, soon to be 11th after Rask gets paid. Will be closer to 15th after next offseason (Lundqvist, Hiller, Miller, Halak, Dubnyk will be UFA).

Hopefully for CBJ he can perform like a top 10 goalie for the next two seasons.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I am all for cap management..

But I also have seen what playing with Sergei is like as opposed to playing without Sergei. The goalie is the most important guy on the ice without question.

I like our defense, I even like Vinny Prospal but if we pay him any more than 1M it is too much. Some of these teams are feeling the cap crunch, I heard them talk about it repeatedly in Tampa - be patient Jarmo.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

If he continues to play like he did and you adjust for his crappy start, his stats would probably be around a 940 save pct and sub2 gaa. With stats like that the team will win, attendance will jump, the cap will rise and we'll all be happier than a pig in mud that he's ours.

To me the dollars are not that significant. He wasn't going to sign for less than 5 in any case. So an extra 750k a year probably isn't going to screw up future signings. If it looks likeit could bye bye Umbie. The term was important. that cap hit for 5 or 6 years would be problematic if he doesn't perform.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline now
#CBJ G Sergei Bobrovsky deal: 2 years, 11.25 million. AAV $5.625M.

Best spend the next 2 years readying his replacement so that we aren't forced to pay him even more.

For a "budget" team that is a huge number and it really does limit what we can do this summer in free agency. This is why the Preds were best when they were cycling through goalies.

If Umberger doesn't improve, a compliance buyout should be considered next summer to make some room.

I'd hate to hear what Bob's agent thought he was worth if this is what they settled on. Clearly was north of $6 million.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Best spend the next 2 years readying his replacement so that we aren't forced to pay him even more.

For a "budget" team that is a huge number and it really does limit what we can do this summer in free agency. This is why the Preds were best when they were cycling through goalies.

If Umberger doesn't improve, a compliance buyout should be considered next summer to make some room.

I'd hate to hear what Bob's agent thought he was worth if this is what they settled on. Clearly was north of $6 million.

:facepalm: The cap is only going to go up. We have plenty of room and are not a budget team.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Kind of pricey, but like that its 2 years. If he performs at top level, i'm fine with paying him top level, but wouldnt have wanted to give him 4+ years off of 1 year sample.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
To high by about 1.5m per year in my opinion, but w/e, we got our Vezina goalie back, now to see if he can maintain a .920 or better save percentage to earn that money.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
:facepalm: The cap is only going to go up. We have plenty of room and are not a budget team.

I disagree. We've always been a budget team. Only in the past two seasons has this team sniffed the cap. If the cap goes to 70-75M, there is no way this club spends to the cap. The revenues don't support the expenditures. I agree that the club will have to explore options.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Columbus IS a budget team. The team continues to lose money annually and 2011/2012 was a killer with the Carter/Nash "no show". I know they have worked out some of the details (lease, arena support, etc.) but this team isn't a cap team. Fans want it to be but it simply isn't realistic to expect.

I'm with you we need to ice a winner and in some cases that will cost money but build the depth so you aren't held to overpaying because you HAVE to. We may get away with Bob's contract for the next two years but unless we dump a contract, I simply don't see a "$5MM wing" coming to Columbus. If so, it's probably a $3MM wing we over paid and will ultimately be disppointed with.

I want this team to spend money SMARTLY, not simply spend money because "the cap" says we have room. I just don't buy into that philosophy. I've seen more NY Rangers than I have Chicago Blackhawks. spending doesn't get you the cup, smart management and an eye for talent does. Build the team from the NHL through the minors.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I disagree. We've always been a budget team. Only in the past two seasons has this team sniffed the cap. If the cap goes to 70-75M, there is no way this club spends to the cap. The revenues don't support the expenditures. I agree that the club will have to explore options.

Yes we've always been a budget team, but this isn't the jackets of old everything we knew about the jackets is being turned upside down.

People are acting like we just signed him for 15 years(not specifically talking about you kev) at some ridiculous amount. It's 2 years at a reasonable price. Sorry he just won the vezina on a compacted schedule. With very little rest in the 2nd half. As long as he stays focused and hungry he should only keep improving as he matures and as our defense matures (1/2 of our defense will be under 25 next yr if murray plays). It's pretty obvious Bobrovsky is no Mason. The only question I have is will he be able to keep it up in the east? Only time will tell. It is way to early to be making judgement calls on his contract. Bobrovsky won the vezina so he will be paid accordingly short season or no. To call this an "epic disaster" before he's even played a single game on his new contract of an overreaction..

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Yes, because the rest of Bob's resume is meaningless. Got it. The reality? Bob is actually worth no more than Schnieder. He's actually worth less.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Columbus IS a budget team. The team continues to lose money annually and 2011/2012 was a killer with the Carter/Nash "no show". I know they have worked out some of the details (lease, arena support, etc.) but this team isn't a cap team. Fans want it to be but it simply isn't realistic to expect.

I'm with you we need to ice a winner and in some cases that will cost money but build the depth so you aren't held to overpaying because you HAVE to. We may get away with Bob's contract for the next two years but unless we dump a contract, I simply don't see a "$5MM wing" coming to Columbus. If so, it's probably a $3MM wing we over paid and will ultimately be disppointed with.

I want this team to spend money SMARTLY, not simply spend money because "the cap" says we have room. I just don't buy into that philosophy. I've seen more NY Rangers than I have Chicago Blackhawks. spending doesn't get you the cup, smart management and an eye for talent does. Build the team from the NHL through the minors.

Which is exactly what we are doing.(Jenner, Murray, Calvert, Atkinson, Prout, Rychel, Wennberg, Dano) Bob is being paid for his season last year, he's been given a prove it to me deal. If he can't continue those numbers in 2 years we WILL have somebody to take over. Whether it's Dansk, Korpisalo, York, Quellette, Forsberg or a FA there is obviously going to be a contingency plan they've already stated they are looking for a 3rd. Give it time for everything to take shape. In Jarmo/JD I trust.

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
There's really nothing you guys can't lowball.

I yearn for October, everyone is far less insufferable when our CBJ are winning.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
he's been given a prove it to me deal.

Hardly a "prove me deal". I wish some company would pay me twice what I'm worth because of two months of performance in order to "prove it" to them that I'm worth what should be the max salary over the course of my career.

I'm hoping this is a "Oh crap we have no options, let us have two years to find your replacement" deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad