Bobrovsky signs: 2 years, 11.25 million, (post 854)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
The few GMs I asked about their Vezina vote all had Bobrovsky and Niemi on their ballot but the 3rd name varied...

anteater90

Jun 26, 2006
Hilliard
Way to go Bob. You are the anchor of the turn around. I love all that is written about his work ethic!

BOB IS ON THE CASE!!!!

The VEZINA IS IN THE CASE!

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Congratulation to Bob! It'll be great if he wins, but I have no doubt that he'll remain motivated to improve no matter what is the result. A win, of course, will definitely effect his contract talks!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Congratulation to Bob! It'll be great if he wins, but I have no doubt that he'll remain motivated to improve no matter what is the result. A win, of course, will definitely effect his contract talks!

I have confidence in both his motivation and that the contract will get done in a manner that pleases both management and the player. But I wouldn't be a CBJ fan if there wasn't a little part of me that's like "what if he turns out to be a fluke?" And that this potentially irrational sense will be exacerbated if he wins - which I still hope he does. He deserves it.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
RFA is different from UFA. He isn't going anywhere.

Can we match any offer sheet, sure, but I'd feel more confident if that wasn't an option for other teams because he already had another contract. That's all I'm saying. Plenty of teams need goaltending help, and its not often that another team could put a bid up an a trophy finalist.

No surprise.

Congrats on your $4-5 million 4/5 year deal, Bob

Because a matched offer sheet would be a LOT more than that...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Because a matched offer sheet would be a LOT more than that...

Are you serious? There are a couple of GM's I could see trying that, but not the sane ones. I think the two I am thinking of already have good goal tenders.

I doubt the contract is anywhere in the neighborhood of what you are talking about. Two years most likely, with a more modest dollar amount. As good as he was, it is still a small sample size in a contract year. I would be very uncomfortable with a contract as is being discussed. However it is not shocking because of our instant gratification society. None of us have negotiated a contract nor seen the process, we just see the results.

Sure Bob and his agent could try and force our hands, but the reality he hasn't earned a contract of that term/length yet. But, yes, there are those that would offer it. Some of the worst contracts in the NHL are goal tender contracts. I have no interest in crippling this team with a guy that has a 120 game history. Of that history about half of it wasn't good. In his rookie season he a tale of two seasons. His post all-star game record wasn't good, his sophomore season was poor. That would be a lot of jack for a guy that had a great two months. Reflect on that. His first 12 games were poor. We would be dumping that much cash down for 23 games.

That is a lot of assets to give up on an offer sheet to Bob. I doubt they are going to do that for a goal tender.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
RFA is different from UFA. He isn't going anywhere.

1) He could got a humongous offer sheet.

2) Russian teams can throw money at him now that he is no longer under contract with the Jackets.

And he should win the Vezina. A lot of people said that if the Jackets made the playoffs there would be no question, Bob should win. And he got us to 55 points, basically all but in, and stood on his head right to the end of the season. If people know that, he should be a lock.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Are you serious? There are a couple of GM's I could see trying that, but not the sane ones. I think the two I am thinking of already have good goal tenders.

I doubt the contract is anywhere in the neighborhood of what you are talking about. Two years most likely, with a more modest dollar amount. As good as he was, it is still a small sample size in a contract year. I would be very uncomfortable with a contract as is being discussed. However it is not shocking because of our instant gratification society. None of us have negotiated a contract nor seen the process, we just see the results.

Sure Bob and his agent could try and force our hands, but the reality he hasn't earned a contract of that term/length yet. But, yes, there are those that would offer it. Some of the worst contracts in the NHL are goal tender contracts. I have no interest in crippling this team with a guy that has a 120 game history. Of that history about half of it wasn't good. In his rookie season he a tale of two seasons. His post all-star game record wasn't good, his sophomore season was poor. That would be a lot of jack for a guy that had a great two months. Reflect on that. His first 12 games were poor. We would be dumping that much cash down for 23 games.

That is a lot of assets to give up on an offer sheet to Bob. I doubt they are going to do that for a goal tender.

You're principal argument here is that Bob won't get huge offers because he isn't proven enough, and his play could regress. But a lot of teams might think it worth the risk, especially the rich teams that don't mind buying a guy out if a gamble goes wrong (IIRC there is another cap-free buyout window in the summer of 2014, although I'm not sure if post-lockout contracts are eligible). The rich teams have been forced to spend less because of the CBA, but some will still find ways to up their payroll. And how much was Bob's year worth in purely cash terms? I don't think $12 million is ridiculous. We should expect ridiculous offers, perhaps upwards of $6 million.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
1) He could got a humongous offer sheet.

2) Russian teams can throw money at him now that he is no longer under contract with the Jackets.

Worrying about an offer sheet is like worrying about an asteroid hitting the arena. It's the extreme exception, not the rule. Very rarely happens and won't happen with Bob.

I don't even know if a desired RFA has ever left for the KHL. Maybe Radulov? Again, we're worrying about rare and unusual occurrences. It's just not going to happen and worrying about it is the Columbus inferiority complex in full effect.

If no one offer-sheeted Stamkos, they're not going to do it for Bobrovsky.

Someone mentioned $6m - that's ridiculous. No one is offering this guy Rinne money for three months ' sample size.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
You could be right, but I can't imagine the reaction if we were to let Bob go, after the year he had here.

Game of chicken. The Jackets probably match, because they can. In the post CBA world, I can't see too many teams in the position to even try it. Some teams are going to struggle to get under the cap, most teams already have their number, some teams have probably moved assets that would be part of an offer sheet.

I think we're worried about a couple of teams in the whole NHL (I haven't bothered to compile the list for the exact number). Of those two teams, we might be dealing with one GM that is insane enough to try it. If they are a potential lottery team, that would take some major stones.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Worrying about an offer sheet is like worrying about an asteroid hitting the arena. It's the extreme exception, not the rule. Very rarely happens and won't happen with Bob.

I don't even know if a desired RFA has ever left for the KHL. Maybe Radulov? Again, we're worrying about rare and unusual occurrences. It's just not going to happen and worrying about it is the Columbus inferiority complex in full effect.

If no one offer-sheeted Stamkos, they're not going to do it for Bobrovsky.

Someone mentioned $6m - that's ridiculous. No one is offering this guy Rinne money for three months ' sample size.

RFA offer sheets aren't as rare as Vezina winning free agents. And I don't think its a likelihood that we will lose Bob to either an offer sheet or to the KHL, but the risk should be noted, and it should affect negotiations. If Bob feels insulted by Jarmo's offer, he can look elsewhere, and he can go if he wants. I hope that we don't try and pull a Bergevin (what he did with Subban) with Bob, because it could go completely wrong.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
People forget that offer sheets are two way streets, they have to offer and Bob has to sign. How many times has it been done? I can only remember four times (Vanek, Hjalmarsson, Weber, and O'Reilly) it has ever been done. That's 4 (or maybe a bit more im forgetting) out of hundreds of RFA's in the past. I'm not worried at all. He wants to be here, and we want him to be here. He's going to be here.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
People forget that offer sheets are two way streets, they have to offer and Bob has to sign. How many times has it been done? I can only remember four times (Vanek, Hjalmarsson, Weber, and O'Reilly) it has ever been done. That's 4 (or maybe a bit more im forgetting) out of hundreds of RFA's in the past. I'm not worried at all. He wants to be here, and we want him to be here. He's going to be here.

Lame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad