LeBrun: Bobrovsky “willing to waive his NMC”.. “list submitted months ago.”

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I see talk of huge hauls, etc.
How much are CBJ fans expecting from a UFA goalie?

1st round pick or a rostered player.

However, i think a UFA for UFA is more likely. Hypothetically, Bobrovsky for Stone or Duchene.

Since Bobrovsky controls his NTC

a package (Bobrovsky +) for an immediate impact player from a team he approves is most likely.

Bobrovsky + Wennberg + Milano for...

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
What do Columbus get in return?

Last time a star #1 goalie was traded as a rental was Ryan Miller (IIRC) in 13-14. At the time of the trade he was around the top of the league in save % and had 5 consecutive seasons prior above 91.5%.

Sabres paired him with Steve Ott (at the time high character 30ish point forward) and send those two to the Blues for pending FA Jaro Halak, 1 year of Chris Stewart (top 9 W), prospect William Carrier (bottom 6 future), a late first round pick and a 3rd rounder.

Stewart and Halak made a combined ~7.8M and Miller had a 6.2M cap hit so it was basically about moving salary and sending back a goalie who can play for Buffalo.

So essentially late 1st, okay prospect and a 3rd. But Ott also had value, and Miller was having a terrific season, complete opposite from Bob. I also remember because the Sabres defense was seen as a bad one that worked in Miller's favor even more. Funny enough, he goes to the strong defensive team in the Blues and his numbers were trash the rest of the way and the Blues lost in the 1st round to Chicago. LA won the cup.

I think that gives a pretty good idea of what a trade involving Bob could look like. No high-end pieces to Columbus. A late 1st + prospect + work out the cap technicalities is probably realistic. Or maybe 2x 2nd's or something along those lines.

However Bob's NMC complicates things and we don't know where he'd be willing to go. Not to mention im not sure if the 1st place Metro Jackets would even trade Bob for those assets. Korpi has been all flashes so far his career and it's not like the Jackets desperately need more prospects.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I see talk of huge hauls, etc.
How much are CBJ fans expecting from a UFA goalie?

The only people who have mentioned a huge haul in this thread have been outsiders who are not CBJ fans.

I think most CBJ fans realize the return isn't likely going to be a lot due to his contract status and how this season has went for him. Most of us feel they would try for a 1 for 1 swap with another UFA goalie .. maybe Varlamov?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If it's true he wants $11 million then let him go. Better it spent on Panarin. But I'm curious..... Who will he waive for? NYI with Bob in net could mean bad news for the league

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The only reason bob is leaving is he told CBJ he wanted to be the highest paid goalie in the league. CBJ said no dice. A report came out he wants 11+ a year. What a joke.

CBJ will find a short term replacement, for this year

The only fit where I see a trade happening, is between Columbus and Detroit.

Columbus is the only contender or half-contender with a serious goalie (mental) problem. Korpisalo isn't answer for the Jackets yet.

Detroit is the only tanker ready to sell their playoff-level goalie.

Bobrovsky caphit 7.4M
Jimmy Howard caphit 5.3M

Columbus will retent 2.1M in salary and they'll get a mentally normal starter for the playoffs with same price as Bobrovsky currently is. Both are UFAs after this season and Bobo can go after his 11 millions at summer, after leaving Detroit.

Howard told to Athletic that he doesn't want to leave Detroit, but guy does not have NTC or anything. He can sign back to Detroit at summer as UFA.

It's only 200 mile drive from Detroit to Columbus, so he is not gonna be another side of the globe for 3-4 months, even though he would like to be with his family. Columbus is kind of nearest address where he could near his family, when he is not at Detroit.

It's only 3-4 months and chance for a playoff run.

Let's pull the trigger. Kekäläinen has also pay some incentive of this favor from Detroit for Ken Holland. Some level of draft pick would be fine.

Last edited:

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
With Korpisalo having played so well in the starting role I think the clock is ticking on Bobrovsky for sure.
I'll be interested to see if the Flyers trade for him? He started out there and it's obvious he needs a change of scene.
What do Columbus get in return? I would think they'd want a backup goalie (Flyers sure have plenty of those), or would they take a chance on Berube as their backup? Might be risky.
I'd also expect Columbus to want a proven / decent forward in any trade with the Flyers.

Why would a Lottery team like Philly trade for a few months of Bob? Why wouldn’t they just wait til the offseason and sign him without giving up additional assets?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't see Bob getting moved. He has a shortlist of approved teams. Rental goalies have low value. And the Jackets would be left with Korpisalo and... Berube I guess... this season. Granted all that could change quickly but with the facts as they currently stand I don't see it.

100x more likely the Jackets keep Bob through the rest of the season, offer him 8x4 or something Bob would deem unfit, and he walks on July 1st to a team making a desperate offer.

Reactions: lilfedor

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
The only fit where I see a trade happening, is between Columbus and Detroit.

Columbus is the only contender or half-contender with a serious goalie (mental) problem. Korpisalo isn't answer for the Jackets yet.

Detroit is the only tanker ready to sell their playoff-level goalie.

Bobrovsky caphit 7.4M
Jimmy Howard caphit 5.3M

Columbus will retent 2.1M in salary and they'll get a mentally normal starter for the playoffs with same price as Bobrovsky currently is. Both are UFAs after this season and Bobo can go after his 11 millions at summer, after leaving Detroit.

Howard told to Athletic that he doesn't want to leave Detroit, but guy does not have NTC or anything. He can sign back to Detroit at summer as UFA.

It's only 200 mile drive from Detroit to Columbus, so he is not gonna be another side of the globe for 3-4 months, even though he would like to be with his family. Columbus is kind of nearest address where he could near his family, when he is not at Detroit.

It's only 3-4 months and chance for a playoff run.

Let's pull the trigger. Kekäläinen has also pay some incentive of this favor from Detroit for Ken Holland. Some level of draft pick would be fine.

I mean sure this would be great for Columbus but i disagree in terms of this being the only option.

What about swapping LA for Quick?

What about sending to Carolina who is hot and fighting for a playoff spot?

You never know, a team could offer a trade solely so they have initial contract rights to resign. Florida is a team who i feel could do this.

If he’s open to going to Canada does Bobrovsky to the Jets or Flames increase their chances of thriving in the playoffs?

There are definitely options outside of Detroit.

Reactions: CPTN71

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why would a Lottery team like Philly trade for a few months of Bob? Why wouldn’t they just wait til the offseason and sign him without giving up additional assets?

Columbus has to pay getting rid of Bobo. It's not vise versa.

There are definitely options outside of Detroit.

Yeah... and he could block all Detroit trades, even how good they would ever be... with his NMC.

This is really tricky situation.. it's 100% sure Kekäläinen won't trade him to any other Metropolitan team to make it sure we won't be there playing against CBJ on the 1st/2nd rounds.

At Detroit, he would be out as a playoff threat. But most reasonable is Western Conference team, with playoff hopes (which would please Bobo, as another change to play on a good team) and also minimize the possibility of facing on a playoff series.

But is there any team with serious goaltendeing problems at West, who has playoff hopes?

I think no. There's only another "detroits" available. Teams with no playoff hope.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
CBJ always seems like they are on the verge of taking that next step... And now if they lose their 2 best players, they wont once again

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH

Yeah... and he could block all Detroit trades, even how good they would ever be... with his NMC.

this is really tricky situation.. it's 100% sure Kekäläinen won't trade him to any Metropolitan team to make is sure we won't be there playing against CBJ on the 1st/2nd rounds.

At Detroit, he would be out as a playoff threat. But most reasonable is Western Conference team, with playoff hopes (which would please Bobo, as another change to play on a good team) and also minimize the possibility of facing on a playoff series.

But is there any team with serious goaltendeing problems at West, who has playoff hopes?

I think no. There's only another "detroits" available. Teams with no playoff hope.

The flames?

They have mike smith who is far from consistent.

Hurricanes i see at the dark horse here if they decide to be buyers.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Varlamov for Bobrovsky almost makes too much sense.
Yes, and no.

I see this only as a package option IE Bobrovsky ++ X for Varly + ?

When you look at Columbus they have two major glaring issues. One is a 2C and the other is a shut down defenseman.

CBJ had one of those and was very bitter to see him leave. Could they pry Cole away from the Avs?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The flames?

They have mike smith who is far from consistent..

Maybe. But tough to fit Bobrovsky under the cap. Mike Smith should be forced to move Columbus on same trade, and I think Howard would be a lot better choise for BJackets.

Smith is crap. It's just a bad trade for Columbus and good trade for Bobrovsky. Kekäläinen wants a good trade for his team.

Maybe three'way trade, where:

Bobrovsky --> CGY
Howard --> CBJ
Mike Smith as a cap/roster spot dump + lots of incentives from both CBJ and CGY--> Detroit

Last edited:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
If it's true he wants $11 million then let him go. Better it spent on Panarin. But I'm curious..... Who will he waive for? NYI with Bob in net could mean bad news for the league
Lehner leads all goalies with at least 20 GP in both sv% and GAA. And Greiss is 13th in sv% and 15th in GAA. I don't see Bob improving on Lehner, and it's questionable if he'd be an improvement on Greiss, given his play this season.

Islanders are currently tied with the Preds for the lowest team GA/GP in the league, but are only 15th in GF/GP. No reason to be spending assets on a goalie when scoring (a 2nd line C, ideally) is the more pressing need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Palm Tree

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Weird player, I have no idea what his value is. Obviously two Vezinas and some great regular seasons, but he is consistently pretty poor in the playoffs. Who's going to pony up for that risk either as a trade or as a UFA? He's too good and will cost too much to have another starter quality goalie behind him, but you don't really want to go into the playoffs with him and a backup level player only.

Reactions: robertmac43

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yes, and no.

I see this only as a package option IE Bobrovsky ++ X for Varly + ?

When you look at Columbus they have two major glaring issues. One is a 2C and the other is a shut down defenseman.

CBJ had one of those and was very bitter to see him leave. Could they pry Cole away from the Avs?

Sure I'd certainly be ok with moving Cole. Avs need Forward depth though that I'm not sure CBJ could offer.

Varlamov + Cole for Bobrovsky + Anderson

Something like that maybe.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What exactly is Bob’s problem with Columbus? The guy just seems like a dick.
It's not very clear. There's a number of theories going about, but the most plausible-seeming are that he's taken his playoff reputation (and attempts to fix it) very personally, and/or he wants to be paid as though he's the best goalie in the League (which he could have made a strong case for, what with being the only current multiple-Vezina winner), and/or he's stressing out because of some combo of the above plus the fact that he's having a pretty poor year so far.

Theories that have been discounted and have lost plausibility include some sort of hate for the city or his teammates (he's stated and shown otherwise), or anything to do with Tortortella (this gets repeated over and over and over). We're less clear on his feelings towards Kekalainen, or anyone else in the front office, or towards our recent (last offseason) change of goalie coach, or anything else.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Don't remember if it was on here or somewhere else, but Bob submitting his list came out a couple months back. Also from what little has been said in the media lately since Bob got scratched, I don't think Bob has any issues with Torts and if anything I think Torts makes a concentrated effort to keep Bob happy. He does seem to be unhappy in the organization though and will most certainly be moved before the the deadline.

Biggest X factor is do the Jackets grab another good goalie to replace him, or trust in Korpisalo and just move him for futures or forward/D depth?

Maybe a three-way trade involving Las Vegas, where Fleury, Subban and Dansk are all quality goalies? Bobrovsky to Phily, Laughton to Columbus and something to Las Vegas from Phily, with Subban/Dansk to Columbus?

Bob's UFA keeps it from getting too expensive but you could make it conditional that Phily sends something else to Columbus if he re-signs?

Not sure if I have the value right but this type of structure for Columbus seems to make sense.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, um, no. If that's the market situation, then we'll keep him. The idea behind a trade would be to profit from it.

* * *​
The former is correct. The latter, though... Murray and Savard would like a word with you.

Reactions: CPTN71

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Of course it was submitted months ago. Every player with a trade clause submits their list before the season starts

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00