Confirmed with Link: Bobby "The Chief" Taylor stepping down as color guy, will join studio crew

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
NBC is going to be airing all of the playoff games on their networks. I don't know if they're going to use local feeds though.

Bolto

?
Nov 3, 2006
Spring Hill, FL
I know the NHL network uses local feeds. If I remember correctly NBC does not although they use some local announcers on their broadcast teams in the early rounds when there are lots of games. Rick has done this in the past, Chief has not.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Anyone got the lowdown on his replacement? I think it may be Andreychuk given the fact he has been on the broadcast for the last bit and made TV appearances during the season on air. Just not sure given his current position in the organization.

I've been a Lightning fan since they came out and it's hard for me to imagine watching the game on TV without Bobby Taylor. He will be missed.

Best homer commentator.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Dingman has got to be ahead of Andreychuk on the list. He's way better than Andy, at least, and not busy with community stuff like him. Dinger's also done a lot more analysis this season instead of the fluff stuff, and some of it has been dare I say it, good.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
2011 was the last season where regional networks could air games through the first two rounds of the playoffs. With the new NHL television deal in the U.S. beginning in 2011-'12, now only the first round is allowed to have regional production. From the second round onward, NBC has exclusive rights in the U.S., though they do still occasionally go with a TSN (Rogers now, I guess) produced game, usually in a Western venue where they don't care to do their own production.

Biggest benefit to SJ missing the playoffs - NBCSN can't hi-jack them and force the Sharks local team to call quasi-national games like they've done in recent years. That's horrible.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Please not Andy. Love the guy, but damn he's awkward. Funny because I've talked to him in person and he's nothing like that. Just wooden on camera.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Please not Andy. Love the guy, but damn he's awkward. Funny because I've talked to him in person and he's nothing like that. Just wooden on camera.

Yeah his interviews aren't the best either... "So um yeah talk about the uh game."

They kinda went with Chief and Andy as color guys last time though and I must say after I was initially skeptical he did a pretty good job. His color analysis was good and rather unbiased.

I know Andy still holds a position with the team so I wonder if that would get into the way of him replacing Chief next season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Was it just me or did Andreychuk have a very noticeable stutter in the last game? I'm not saying that to say "he can't be the guy," or to be mean or anything. I'd just never noticed it with his studio work but there were a few moments where (I thought) it was really prominent in the last game.

In terms of a long-term color guy, I think he's probably the best in-house guy. At least for a replacement for Chief, who makes up for know-how and skill with a weird lovable quality. Like a drunken grandfather.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I will participate in the drinking game in his honor.

Gosh... it's going to be so weird watching games without him.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
It's the end of an era. I'll raise a drink (or 5) in his honor tonight. Might even stay around for the radio show. Haven't done that in awhile.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
He drove me crazy, but yet I'm gonna miss him. He was an awful homer, but he was our homer and sometimes we needed that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We love ya Chief! At this point I'm okay with Dingman being the color guy, moreso than Andreychuk. Regardless it can't be any worse than Staats and Kennedy back in 2009, 2010 in the Rays broadcast. We have that to look forward to at least.

Worst case scenario would be Vinny coming back to do color.

RP: "A turnover at center ice here comes Stamkos two on one with Callahan!! Holds it... takes a shot SCOOORRREEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A SHOT BY STAMKOS! HE RIFLES IT OVER THE BLOCKER IT'S 3-1 LIGHTNING WITH 5:32 TO GO IN THE 1ST!"

The game footage rolls

Lecavalier: "uhhhhh..... uhhhhh...."

meanwhile the game footage just keeps rolling

"Yeah it was really a great shot Rick ehhhh the defender turned the puck over and Stamkos was in the right place in the right time and ahhhhh had Callahan with him on that two on one but Stammer took the shot himself and scored on it."

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
It'll definitely be weird next year when he's not doing games. He certainly has his faults but you can tell like Espo he's really passionate about the team. I like that they're keeping him for pre/post game stuff. Definitely in the camp against Andy and I don't think Sun will hire him, Dingman has grown on me and I wouldn't mind him getting it.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Someone please make a footage of his best homer moments... only he could make me laugh with his sarcastic laughs at refs and his "tskkk"

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Chief always helps relieve the anger felt when a bad call is made. It only upsets me more when announcers don't even recognize a bad call. He was a homer for sure, but he was also correct on most counts. IMO we were very lucky to have him. And please please please no Dinger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad