Value of: Bobby Ryan

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
looking for a 1 for 1 deal for a swap of top 6 forwards.

Could add player with salary from your team (that you dont want) to make the money work OR sens could add a pick/prospect to get a deal done.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Think that will be a tough sell. For what Bobby Ryan makes he doesn't produce much.

Buffalo would probably throw an Evander Kane plus a pick a you.

His salary and term are a real killer.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Think that will be a tough sell. For what Bobby Ryan makes he doesn't produce much.

Bobby is a good player, but an overpaid one.

Keep in mind your team should have a very good center to make this deal make sense.

Eichel is fantastic (although currently injured) so Buffalo could be a good fit. And yes, I would do Kane for Ryan

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Bobby is a good player, but an overpaid one.

Keep in mind your team should have a very good center to make this deal make sense.

Eichel is fantastic (although currently injured) so Buffalo could be a good fit. And yes, I would do Kane for Ryan

Bobby is a good player....but he is paid to be a great player.

If you would trade him for Evander Kane....you need to take a deep breath and think that through.

It would be a nightmare.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Bobby is a good player....but he is paid to be a great player.

If you would trade him for Evander Kane....you need to take a deep breath and think that through.

It would be a nightmare.

to your first point: 100% correct

And I dont think it holds tons of risk for Ottawa, although Kane consistently has off ice issues and a strange injury history...

Buffalo gets the better player, whereas Ottawa gets the better contract (due to his two year term). Kane can also play a serviceable role in the top 6 which is exactly what Ottawa would need if we lost Ryan

And to be fair, I wouldnt expect to 'win' a Bobby Ryan trade.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston

No, buffalo wouldn't.

They'd sell Kane low, but that's... awful.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Why exactly would buffalo do this ??? :facepalm:

Buffalo signed a winger in the offseason in Okposo.

They have a bunch of young forwards who would be going off ELCS while he still has term.

Had he had just 3 yrs left buffalo could possibly handle it but.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Ryan for Eberle

Sens eat 600k of Ryan's salary to even out contracts.

I would do this, or add a pick/prospect to get out of the 600k sens managment is unlikely to retain.

Ryan with McDavid could be great because...well, its ****ing McDavid.

And I think Eberle could help our 2nd line + PP

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I would do this, or add a pick/prospect to get out of the 600k sens managment is unlikely to retain.

Ryan with McDavid could be great because...well, its ****ing McDavid.

And I think Eberle could help our 2nd line + PP

Just the fact that Eberle has less term is lovely.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't mind the idea of Eberle for Ryan, but I'd expect the Sens to eat a bit of cap space. Not a ton, but at least get it closer to Eberle's 6.

I'm not really interested in a sweeter as the Oilers are already stacked with a lot of young talent, and lower end players. Though perhaps the Oilers could could throw back some term. Add in Smith and Pouliot to the deal? Saves the Oilers a bit of money on the #3 LH winger until you get to a point in a couple years where Ryan's 7 mil starts looking like Eberle's current 6.

Last edited:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Id do this as a sens fan.

Moot point. Buffalo would never do it. I'd pay Ryan 7.25 for two or maybe three more years. It'd be an overpayment for what he brings but he's a good player. I can't imagine any GM has any interest in paying him that much until 2022 though. That term is terrible.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I don't mind the idea of Eberle for Ryan, but I'd expect the Sens to eat a bit of cap space. Not a ton, but at least get it closer to Eberle's 6.

I'm not really interested in a sweeter as the Oilers are already stacked with a lot of young talent, and lower end players. Though perhaps the Oilers could could throw back some term. Add in Smith and Pouliot to the deal? Saves the Oilers a bit of money on the #3 LH winger until you get to a point in a couple years where Ryan's 7 mil starts looking like Eberle's current 6.

I think its perfectly reasonable to ask for the sens to retain in order to even out the two contracts, however I just dont think Ottawa's management would realistically do it.

I doubt senators would be adding Smith to a deal, basically the ideal third liner, but I dont know how much he is asking on a new deal so there is a possibility. As well, moving both Ryan and Smith would lose a lot of size up front and some sandpaper to go with it.

Preferably, the sens would add a pick, or Edm would add an expiring contract they simply dont want.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I honestly feel bad for Ryan. The guy is a great player if he has a playmaking center and is good for 30g-30a while looking like he isn't even trying (he has such a bad and false reputation for looking lazy and uninterested just like Kessel) but he was overpaid and the rep along with the cap hit hurts his value. If he made 6.5 I doubt many teams would have an issue with taking him on. I used to wish the CBJ would trade the world for him but now unless he was had for 50% and a low ball offer I'd never take it even though I know he would produce 60 points here. He is such a better player then anyone gives him credit for but his cap blinds everyone. I have 0 doubt that a change of scenery trade for him to a team with a playmaking center would change his value positively. I think he could have a resurgence in scoring and have 3 or 4 really productive years before finally slowing down to age like most guys.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Bobby Ryan is a 20g/50-55pt forward with 6 years left at 7.25.
The return if he gets moved would be very underwhelming.
basically a combination of caps dumps and maybe a 2nd (similar to phaneuf deal). the real value is in getting out from the contract

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'd do Eberle for Ryan in a jiffy.

I honestly think Ryan is overrated but with a center as capable of McDavid he'd actually produce at the level of his contract.

Change of environment for both players could bring out the best in them that they've might have lost.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I'd do Eberle for Ryan in a jiffy.

I honestly think Ryan is overrated but with a center as capable of McDavid he'd actually produce at the level of his contract.

Change of environment for both players could bring out the best in them that they've might have lost.

I haven't been catching many Oilers games, but if they feel this is a deal that could work out with a few tweaks.. it needs to get done

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Why exactly would buffalo do this ??? :facepalm:

Buffalo signed a winger in the offseason in Okposo.

They have a bunch of young forwards who would be going off ELCS while he still has term.

Had he had just 3 yrs left buffalo could possibly handle it but.

Why would Buffalo do it?????

They have a bad GM. Case closed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Slow start statistically this season but :

- average of 57 pts per 82 games the last 3 seasons (with Ottawa)
- average of 56 pts per 82 games the 2 seasons before that (with Anaheim)

Got his new contract in October 2014 when the cap was 69 Millions (and projected to continue rising). His previous contract at a 5.1 cap hit was signed in September 2010 when the cap was 59.4 Millions. A 5.1 cap hit was worth 5.92 in 2014.

So in reality, he has been producing pretty much the same as before and got a 1.32 raise per year for a contract that ONLY includes UFA years (his previous contracts had 4 RFA years out of 5)

That being said, not interested in Kane. What about :

Bobby Ryan (salary retained if necessary)
Matt Puempel
Andrew Hammond

for

Matt Moulson
Alexander Nylander
Linus Ullmark

Ryan for Eberle

Sens eat 600k of Ryan's salary to even out contracts.

Doubt the Oilers would do this. Eberle is worth more because less term, less money and younger, and even a little more productive. What about :

Bobby Ryan (6 x 7.25)
Mark Borowiecki (2 x 1.1)

for

Jordan Eberle (3 x 6.0)
Mark Fayne (2 x 3.625)

Moot point. Buffalo would never do it. I'd pay Ryan 7.25 for two or maybe three more years. It'd be an overpayment for what he brings but he's a good player. I can't imagine any GM has any interest in paying him that much until 2022 though. That term is terrible.

35 y/o is not that old seriously. Bobby Ryan lives on skill and hockey IQ/smarts. he has never been fast or dynamic so he should not decline before he reaches 35 y/o

I honestly feel bad for Ryan. The guy is a great player if he has a playmaking center and is good for 30g-30a while looking like he isn't even trying (he has such a bad and false reputation for looking lazy and uninterested just like Kessel) but he was overpaid and the rep along with the cap hit hurts his value. If he made 6.5 I doubt many teams would have an issue with taking him on. I used to wish the CBJ would trade the world for him but now unless he was had for 50% and a low ball offer I'd never take it even though I know he would produce 60 points here. He is such a better player then anyone gives him credit for but his cap blinds everyone. I have 0 doubt that a change of scenery trade for him to a team with a playmaking center would change his value positively. I think he could have a resurgence in scoring and have 3 or 4 really productive years before finally slowing down to age like most guys.

This. Feels great to see an unbiased view from a CBJ fan. I have been defending him like crazy lately because of the unfair crap he takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad