Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm done handing out excuses for Ryan, and I've been a lot more patient than a lot of folks.

This was the big season for me as far as Lazar and Ryan are concerned, and while both suffered injuries/illness, neither really showed that they were ready to step up when their effectiveness was being called into question.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Well, good signs are that Ryan hit a post about 5 games in a row leading up to his goal on Sunday, so he still have a knack for the net, just aim is off by about an inch since coming back from injury.

Hope he adjusts his accuracy and turns it on for the playoffs an extra notch. If he does and it shows off the scoreboard, i'll be satisfied. If he goes and gets a ppg rate higher than in the regular season (~.45ppg or higher), i'll be thrilled.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Ryan wasn't a playoff performer even when he was good.

I'd love to be proven wrong. But Ryan doesn't have IT.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'd be willing to give him a pass for this season if his previous seasons here were better, but I did t have high expectations for him coming into the season anyways.

As it turns out, going after Seiloff was probably the best thing he did all year.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Same old same old. For some, Bobby Ryan is never at fault for his performance on the ice. We all know how tough it is to lose a parent(well, some of us), and having a baby ain't no cake-walk, but come on, he's not on his own here. He has all the support in the world and plenty of money in the bank to make life easier. And let's face it, you are expected to perform through adversity as a professional. 25 points for Ryan is a joke, even for those of us who had lowered our expectations before the season started.

I honestly think he's just not that dedicated to hockey. This would be fine if he hadn't played for a big contract only to regress immediately, knowing full well the checks will keep coming despite trying about a third of the time. Finding a way to move or get rid of Bobby could be the best thing Dorion ever does as Ottawa's GM.

Oct 31, 2011
Ottawa
I honestly think he's just not that dedicated to hockey. This would be fine if he hadn't played for a big contract only to regress immediately, knowing full well the checks will keep coming despite trying about a third of the time. Finding a way to move or get rid of Bobby could be the best thing Dorion ever does as Ottawa's GM.

These are my sentiments as well.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So, in 2015 / 16, Ryan had 1059 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time and posted 12G 20A 32P

In 16 / 17 he had 772 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time and posted 10G 9A 19P.

his numbers dropped, not considerably, his goal scoring was actually up, his assists are down and it isn't hard at all to think of 4 or 5 plays were stone hands Dzingel should have potted a tasty Ryan feed.

in 2015 / 16, Ryan had 225 minutes of PP ice time and posted 6G 9A 15P

In 16 / 17 he had 146 minutes of PP ice time and posted 2G 3A 5P.

His PP numbers are down a lot and his PP role is quite different

I'm not going to defend Ryan, he isn't living up to the contract and that matters, however I don't think there is a forward in our group that has been more negatively affected by Boucher and different utilization than Ryan and by injuries.

Hopefully he has a bounce back year next season and a solid playoff.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You don't understand what hours of watching Paw Patrol can do to a man's ability to shoot a hockey puck.

c95a38374fc7bf34dba86af492e3542b_the-internets-best-collection-of-images-and-gifs-tagged-as-triggered-meme_300-300.gif

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I highly doubt an nhl player is waking up every 3 am to feed a baby during the season. It's really not that tough.

This is clearly an uneducated response or from a guy who happily let his wife do all the work for the baby.

New baby + losing person who raised you as a single mother = very difficult and emotional time.

Harp on him all you want but some of you need to grow up and realize these are human human beings with very real experiences and lives outside of the rink.

I hope he pots a few early in the series and gets on a roll of only to stop the constant bashing.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This is clearly an uneducated response or from a guy who happily let his wife do all the work for the baby.

New baby + losing person who raised you as a single mother = very difficult and emotional time.

Harp on him all you want but some of you need to grow up and realize these are human human beings with very real experiences and lives outside of the rink.

I hope he pots a few early in the series and gets on a roll of only to stop the constant bashing.

It's weird because Turris has two young children(one born last year) and has gone through worse injuries and his play has been very good. Same with Anderson who went through his wife's cancer treatments and he's been great overall.

With Bobby it's the same every season. Excuse after excuse after excuse. It's like he holds no responsibility whatsoever for his play or effort level, and anyone who criticizes him is being unfair. It's completely ridiculous. The guy barely got 25 points this season. Those numbers are atrocious. Like I said before, everyone deals with obstacles, but Bobby either doesn't seem to have the determination to rise above them, or he is simply not a very good player anymore(which I doubt). At some point, he needs to realize he is being paid millions to produce at the highest level, not just be in the arena.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
It's weird because Turris has two young children(one born last year) and has gone through worse injuries and his play has been very good. Same with Anderson who went through his wife's cancer treatments and he's been great overall.

With Bobby it's the same every season. Excuse after excuse after excuse. It's like he holds no responsibility whatsoever for his play or effort level, and anyone who criticizes him is being unfair. It's completely ridiculous. The guy barely got 25 points this season. Those numbers are atrocious. Like I said before, everyone deals with obstacles, but Bobby either doesn't seem to have the determination to rise above them, or he is simply not a very good player anymore(which I doubt). At some point, he needs to realize he is being paid millions to produce at the highest level, not just be in the arena.

This...and also,

Outside of Bobby pretty much being money in the shoot out, at no point in his time here has he even approached earning his contract, and it's unfortunate because he genuinely seems like a great guy and he's obviously got loads of talent. And it's even harder to pin down what's been going on that's responsible for the underwhelming numbers he's been putting up.
Either way, i realize there's a lot of people here that like him as a player, (myself included) but i think i'd like him a whole lot more at around 4.5 million a year instead.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This...and also,

Outside of Bobby pretty much being money in the shoot out, at no point in his time here has he even approached earning his contract, and it's unfortunate because he genuinely seems like a great guy and he's obviously got loads of talent. And it's even harder to pin down what's been going on that's responsible for the underwhelming numbers he's been putting up.
Either way, i realize there's a lot of people here that like him as a player, (myself included) but i think i'd like him a whole lot more at around 4.5 million a year instead.

If you're going to use that as a metric to judge Bobby Ryan, he'll never ever justify his contract. It was signed before the Canadian dollar tanked and when players were getting much more optimistic contracts.

4.5M a year for Ryan based on how he has produced as a Senator prior to this year would be absurd. As a UFA, players who produced similar to Ryan attracted offers in the 6M range last season. A few players like Frans Nielsen may have gotten slightly less, but he is also older than Ryan.

This season has been a tire fire for Ryan, but it is hopefully an anomaly. Based on the current conditions of the cap and what UFAs can expect to sign for, as a whole prior to this season Ryan has been a 6M type player for the Senators.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
If you're going to use that as a metric to judge Bobby Ryan, he'll never ever justify his contract. It was signed before the Canadian dollar tanked and when players were getting much more optimistic contracts.

4.5M a year for Ryan based on how he has produced as a Senator prior to this year would be absurd. As a UFA, players who produced similar to Ryan attracted offers in the 6M range last season. A few players like Frans Nielsen may have gotten slightly less, but he is also older than Ryan.

This season has been a tire fire for Ryan, but it is hopefully an anomaly. Based on the current conditions of the cap and what UFAs can expect to sign for, as a whole prior to this season Ryan has been a 6M type player for the Senators.

5.7-6M is a fair assessment IF you exclude this year. Since signing in Ottawa and not including this year, hes averaged around 50pts per year. 5.7-6M is a fair salary. But you're only as good as your last season and if this is any indication of what's in store then we're f***ked.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon

No where in my post did i suggest that 4.5 million was "fair"...and of course that price in reality would be absurd...but i'm allowed to dream...no?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
5.7-6M is a fair assessment IF you exclude this year. Since signing in Ottawa and not including this year, hes averaged around 50pts per year. 5.7-6M is a fair salary. But you're only as good as your last season and if this is any indication of what's in store then we're f***ked.

For Bobby's first three seasons in Ottawa, he's averaged about 57 points per 82 games as a Senator while being paid a real money AAV of 5.875M.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
No where in my post did i suggest that 4.5 million was "fair"...and of course that price in reality would be absurd...but i'm allowed to dream...no?

Everybody is allowed to dream. That is what makes the Stanley Cup playoffs great.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I have all the sympathy in the world for someone who is grieving. I know what it is like to have to wake up and feed a baby in the middle of the night too. Was I tired at first, sure, but life goes on and after a few months you're back in your routine while working 40 hours a week. Becoming a parent is great but having a kid is something that you adapt into your life. If anything going to the rink and having support from your teammates helps the healing process. It's not like he has 1 bad season and everyone is on him now. This has been an issue every season. He disappears in the second half when we need him most. Nothing can excuse that.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa

He had that knock before he came to Ottawa when he didn't show up in camp in shape. That's why I never liked the trade. I don't think you will see Dorion and Boucher trade for someone like that. And I say Boucher because Dorion seems to consult with the coaches.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He had that knock before he came to Ottawa when he didn't show up in camp in shape. That's why I never liked the trade. I don't think you will see Dorion and Boucher trade for someone like that. And I say Boucher because Dorion seems to consult with the coaches.

That is a critical point. Dorion respects the coaches and knows that they have skills and insights that he may not have. Bryan Murray, on the other hand, seemed to run a much more old school, top-down kind of front office...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad