Confirmed with Link: Bobby Ryan 1 Year Deal $1 Million

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ryan scored 4 goals on first 3 games.

Since that, 9 games 0+3.
Is this a criticism? Because it's oddly timed. He was great yesterday.

Strips the puck on the forecheck and makes a great feed to Smith for his goal. He knocked a guy on his ass with a nice check. He's always working hard, playing smart defensively. It'd be great if he scores goals obviously but he's still doing so much right when he's not.

Reactions: jaster

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
If Steve gets an offer that blows him away, Ryan is probably gone no matter how much he wants to stay here. I'm sure they discussed all the possible scenarios before BR signed here.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I’d much rather keep him and mentor players like Zadina than trade him for a 2nd rd pick that more than likely will be a prospect that doesn’t work out

I feel like I’m in the minority
I don't think so, he's built a nice fan base already. I don't know how you could watch him and NOT be a fan.

The only reason why I'd want to see him traded is so that he can go win a Cup. It would be better for the WIngs if he stayed, but better for Ryan if he left.

I wish him the best either way, and hope he continues to be sober and work hard.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I don't think so, he's built a nice fan base already. I don't know how you could watch him and NOT be a fan.

The only reason why I'd want to see him traded is so that he can go win a Cup. It would be better for the WIngs if he stayed, but better for Ryan if he left.

I wish him the best either way, and hope he continues to be sober and work hard.
It'd be great if the Wings traded him to a contender at the deadline then Detroit re-signed him for next season.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

Same! I’m certain he’s gone and while we might get a decent haul, I’d rather him stay here especially if the return is only a 2nd rd pick or something similar

At least I’m not in the minority I suppose

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
If Steve gets an offer that blows him away, Ryan is probably gone no matter how much he wants to stay here. I'm sure they discussed all the possible scenarios before BR signed here.

I could have swore they talked about the preliminary discussion being that he’s be signed here for a 1 year contract and then be traded at the TDL for picks/prospects but who knows

I’m rooting for him to re-sign and help mentor/pot some goals/be a great locker room mentor though

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I could have swore they talked about the preliminary discussion being that he’s be signed here for a 1 year contract and then be traded at the TDL for picks/prospects but who knows

I’m rooting for him to re-sign and help mentor/pot some goals/be a great locker room mentor though
Whichever team he gets traded to will more than likely offer him a contract as well, so there will be competition for his services if he continues to play the way he has.

Keep in mind every team is going to lose a player to the expansion draft, so aside from TBL, NYI and VGK, every team will have a little cap space and one roster hole.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Really don't get the love for this. Ryan has been slop for four years, and the $1.8m Ottawa is paying him to not be on their roster is an over payment. He's a warm body. Maybe.
I'd take half a dozen Ryans at this point. The other 2 non-Ryan wingers for PK only.

# of games the team has won without Ryan getting a point = 1

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I'd take half a dozen Ryans at this point. The other 2 non-Ryan wingers for PK only.

They should sit Mantha again and make him watch game tape of Bobby Ryan.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Ryan is one of the only players on this team that exhibits any sort of patience with the puck

The rest of the guys get looked at and throw the puck away

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

You can say the same thing about Mantha. And Fabbri. Larkin, Bert, and Zadina also show up a lot on the score sheet in games the Wings win.

It's because the Wings have won all of four games and those 6 guys are the only real consistent threats to score. We don't need more Ryans, we need more Larkins, Berts, and Manthas.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
He's a good role model. He's consistent in his effort. Goal scorers are streaky and he is the kind of streaky you want. Where his effort and determination stay the same whether the puck is going in or not. You don't want the "This sucks, why even try if I'm not going to score anyway?" mentality. Keep doing things the right way and it will sort itself out.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You can say the same thing about Mantha. And Fabbri. Larkin, Bert, and Zadina also show up a lot on the score sheet in games the Wings win.

It's because the Wings have won all of four games and those 6 guys are the only real consistent threats to score. We don't need more Ryans, we need more Larkins, Berts, and Manthas.
Right now I'd take Ryan over Mantha. Watch Ryan when he doesn't have the puck vs Mantha.

Larkin's a center, and he hasn't been playing well lately. Bert, I agree, the team needs him back in bad sorta way. There are a lot of similarities in the way he and Ryan play.

The point was, Ryan was a good addition. If we still had Abby, Ehn, or Perlini instead, the team would have one win this season.... literally because you know they can't score.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

I get your point but Mantha and Ryan both have equal scoring stats in the same number of games. And Mantha plays a minute and a half more per game than Ryan. But Ryan is still more effective than Mantha without the puck.

We need more Mantha's that live up to their potential. Mantha should be embarrassed that he's getting outplayed by a 33 year old reclamation project when he's supposed to be one of the team's core players.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I get your point but Mantha and Ryan both have equal scoring stats in the same number of games. And Mantha plays a minute and a half more per game than Ryan. But Ryan is still more effective than Mantha without the puck.

We need more Mantha's that live up to their potential. Mantha should be embarrassed that he's getting outplayed by a 33 year old reclamation project when he's supposed to be one of the team's core players.
Right, Mantha should be embarrassed, but nothing seems to get him motivated. He should be a 1PPG player, whereas Ryan is producing at the rate we expected him to (40 pt pace). Mantha has more size, speed, and skill but Ryan has way more hustle, never gives up regardless of the score.

Plus that slapper last night was a thing of beauty, not often you score from the top of the circle unscreened.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

This is why he signed here. I'm sure he signed for as cheap as he did with an eye towards joining a contender at the TDL. Maybe we pull a deal where we trade him as a rental and he boomarangs back to us because he likes Yzerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad