Bobby Mac's Midterm Rankings

Alfieghetti

inflamed
Jul 29, 2009
I think it's a safe bet that all 4 of these guys end up better than Tavares, the worst #1 since Fleury.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
How do this year's Big 4 (Larsson, RNH, Landeskog, Couturier) stack up against that of previous years (2008, 2009, 2010)?

Correct me if im wrong.

08:

Stamkos
Doughty
Bogosian
?

09:
Tavares
Hedman
Duchene
Kane

10:
Hall
Seguin
Gudbranson
Niederietter

Larsson and RNH have the highest ceilings with RNH's ceiling being similar to Duchene's and Larsson's ceiling being similar to Hedman's. Personally I would say the depth in the top 4 is great where any team would like any player.

PortlandWinterHawks

Dec 4, 2010
I think it's a safe bet that all 4 of these guys end up better than Tavares, the worst #1 since Fleury.

^ BEST JOKE I HAVE EVER HEARD ALL DAY HAHAHAHAHA.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Surprised Lessio found his way into the top 30.... still hoping Leafs can grab him early in the 2nd round

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I had some doubts about some of these guys, but since Bobby Mac has said it, I will believe it. To me he is the most respected hockey journalist out there. I just wonder why he has Musil, Jaskin and Jurco so far back. I know Jaskin and Musil missed the WJC due to injury, but they were almost guaranteed to be a top 6 forward and top pairing defenseman on the Czech team. Both should be in the top 20 IMO, while IMO Jurco should be ahead of Catenacci and Lessio, but he is Eastern European so his stock was bound to drop a little.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Edit: never mind, this was a comment about the Tavares post, but thought better of it, not gonna feed the troll and derail the thread :)

RedwingsnCudi13

Aug 25, 2010
Musil, Janskin and Jurco will be great picks if they go in the late 2nd round i hope the wings pick up Musil seems like a nice player to have in the system for when Rafalski goes.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
6 swedes in top20.

i think we are gonna seemany swedish draft busts in the next few years.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Musil, Janskin and Jurco will be great picks if they go in the late 2nd round i hope the wings pick up Musil seems like a nice player to have in the system for when Rafalski goes.
Musil has fallen a fair bit from where he used to be, but I don't think there's any chance he could fall to the late 2nd round. 6'3" shutdown guy with some offensive upside, apparently makes good breakout passes and is decently physical, can't see him falling any further than late 1st/early 2nd.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I have a feeling his WJC performance lowered him down the rankings a bit.

Certainly is true, but he is a great talent. All 4 are, so it's like picking between 4 models really. It's going to be fun come draft day not really knowing who's gonna go, last few years it's been pretty obvious.

PortlandWinterHawks

Dec 4, 2010
to be honest, evaluating prospects is tough, first off, is the player skilled enough to be a top six forward? if yes, is that player gritty, react fast enough, has enough hockey sense, wins pucks enough to be a top six forward? It's really a tough balance between the two and that's why some prospects don't pan out as expected or take longer to develop. It's even tougher to evaluate defensemen because they blossom so late many of them. Some "safe" prospects might not pan out because they aren't gritty enough to play a gritty bottom six role and not skilled enough to play a top six role. Some skilled forwards but lacking puck protection and speed/size might not be top 6 forwards because they can't do it at the NHL level and thus don't produce.

bananaz

Oct 26, 2006
Canada
I think Victor Rask is being a bit under-rated. He will be a real solid pick at #16 (if he drops that low)

Jul 10, 2010
Correct me if im wrong.

08:

Stamkos
Doughty
Bogosian
Pietrangelo

09:
Tavares
Hedman
Duchene
Kane

10:
Hall
Seguin
Gudbranson
Johanson
Larsson and RNH have the highest ceilings with RNH's ceiling being similar to Duchene's and Larsson's ceiling being similar to Hedman's. Personally I would say the depth in the top 4 is great where any team would like any player.

fixed

member 30781

Is Biggs that good that he beat out guys like Puempel, Armia, and Rask?

Either I am really underrating this kid or he is really that good. Im not so sure.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
Does anyone else find the top 5 of this draft eerily similar to the 2006 draft? I think they're all going to be really good players, but perhaps not the kind of players you can build a franchise around like a Crosby or Ovechkin.

member 30781

Does anyone else find the top 5 of this draft eerily similar to the 2006 draft? I think they're all going to be really good players, but perhaps not the kind of players you can build a franchise around like a Crosby or Ovechkin.

You are rarely going to find another Crosby/Ovechkin-type player. The top 5 are damn good players to build a team around. I wouldn't count them short if I were you.

My top 5 would be:

1.Larsson
2.RNH
3.Couturier
4.Landeskog
5.Murphy

RedwingsnCudi13

Aug 25, 2010
Musil has fallen a fair bit from where he used to be, but I don't think there's any chance he could fall to the late 2nd round. 6'3" shutdown guy with some offensive upside, apparently makes good breakout passes and is decently physical, can't see him falling any further than late 1st/early 2nd.

Yea i know musil wont fall into late second round but Janskin and jurco probably will and will be great picks

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
If it went like this, and the Oilers could snag a C and a stud D in the 1st and 2nd that would be amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad