Bobby Mac's Midterm Rankings

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
I have a feeling RNH is going to Edmonton.

Larsson is exactly what NJ needs, although if they think they can be good in the next few years they may grab Landeskog to speed up the process.

Ottawa may have a similar mindset, and see what they can do with their current core injected with some youth, and grab Landeskog if they can.

Islanders are tricky, they could use a stud D-man, but they also might look into building a supporting cast for Tavares.

Team need will play a big role in the order, in my opinion.

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
I have a feeling RNH is going to Edmonton.

Larsson is exactly what NJ needs, although if they think they can be good in the next few years they may grab Landeskog to speed up the process.

Ottawa may have a similar mindset, and see what they can do with their current core injected with some youth, and grab Landeskog if they can.

Islanders are tricky, they could use a stud D-man, but they also might look into building a supporting cast for Tavares.

Team need will play a big role in the order, in my opinion.
Man i hope your right, RHN with Hall and Eberle, craziness. I wish they could somehow get Strome too with a trade or something, this kid is money.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
6 swedes in the top 20 I'm surprised.
I was under the impression that this draft was weaker for the swedes relative to recent years.

Nah this draft is considered a strong one of course, how could it not be with Landeskog and Larsson that probably will go top5? The swedish 93's is a pretty good age group and lots of the best swedish 92's are late born.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I have a bad feeling that this draft is going to be very, very weak. Strong for some countries individually, but weak in total. We will see though.

JoeyBats

Jul 4, 2010
God I hope Catennacci falls to Toronto in the 2nd round, although I see his stock rising and definitely going in the 1st round.

Colin Jacobs would be a nice consolation prize though.

Definitely like where Jacobs is placed... and agree with you about Catennacci.

i thought Ambroz and Neito were top 5 picks like last year or something.

what happened?

And Armia's a steal at 15 imo. he should be top 10.

What did happen with Ambroz? --Was a prospect I was pretty excited about last year... did the wheels just fall off?? That's a huge drop. :help:

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Why would they pick Larsson? They have no more offense at all. Parise could be going and all that is left is Ilya Kovalchuk. Nothing else. They need a 1st line centerman in Sean Couturier. He fits perfectly well with Jacques Lemaire's defensive system. And most importantly, I remember that most of top NJD's scouts are Quebecois: Claude Carrier, assistant director of scouting, and Marcel Pronovost, one of the oldest scout in the NHL and for the Devils and I also remembered from an interview that they're really high on SC. It's stupid too pass on a possible Jordan Staal that will complement well Kovalchuk for the next years. They have no need for Larsson, they need a franchise centerman and a replacement for Martin Brodeur.

The Devils have no offense? What you are seing this year is nothing but a mirage IMO. We got screwed by that POS MacLean who didn't know WTF he was doing behind the bench and a sandy vagay-gay in Langenbrunner who was pissed that Lou asked him to waive his NTC this summer (he said no of course).

We have Parise, Kovalchuk, Elias, Zajac, Tedenby and Josefson as a top 6 while our blueline is filled with White, Tallinder, Volchenkov, Greene, Corrente and Taormina... pretty brutal if you ask me.

Larsson is a no brainer IMO and Couturier is starting to slide in my books. He's a big frame and all but what I saw from him at the WJC and several Drummondville games, he doesn't play with enough intensity and looks "lazy" out there.

Gulvorn

Jan 26, 2009
Ohio St/Cincy/Dayton
We were talking about this on the CBJ forums, but I guess no one expects any of the goalies to go in the 1st round this year? I'm hoping the Jackets get a goalie in the 2nd round this year. I know the Gibson's are currently listed as the best. It just rubs me the wrong way knowing that last year instead of taking Dalton Smith in the 2nd round we could have taken Pickard and had a decent goalie in our system. Right now if Mason or Garon broke a leg we would literally have no one to bring up qualified to play at the NHL level. Barely even AHL level.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Glad to see I wasn't way off base with my liking of Ryan Strome. I was rather shocked when ISS had him in the late teens. If my Flames can get one of Strome or Hurberdeau, I'll be pretty damn happy. There's no way we get one of RNH or Couturier, so getting one of the two previously listed is the next best move.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Very interesting to see the top 4 turn upside down a bit, in particular the consensus of Larsson at #1 and RNH at #2. Larsson was getting slagged mid-WJC by MacKenzie and others, so nice to see some sanity brought back to the discussion of his performance. A few bads games are to be expected.

RNH at #2 is a surprise to me for sure, so obviously some scouts are seeing things in his play beyond the numbers (and remembering his stellar U18's).

For Couturier, I think he's getting what Spezza got his draft year - a bit of scouting fatigue. Some had Chistov ahead of Spezza, amongst others that draft year, as scouts became tired Spezza's game and problems (which were there, but shouldn't have blinded scouts to his upside).

Still surprised Khohklachev is mid-2nd, and behind Namestikov. He's almost a year younger than him and outproducing his fellow country-man. Points aren't everything of course, but that year of growth and development should not be overlooked - in particular given there are so many late 92's in this draft. A Sept-93 like Khohklachev might develop well beyond the majority of those older guys ahead of him.

And I suspect Jensen might already be in the top 20 based on his last few weeks of play. I doubt much of that was seen by scouts when they ranked him leading up to these rankings.

My one question about these type of rankings I always have is this...If I'm a scout who loves a player (or a few), why would I give MacKenzie or anyone else a "REAL" basis for ranking, when all it does is alert competing teams / scouting departments about the likelihood a guy will be taken earlier or later? For me, I'd tell my scouts to drop the guys we love VERY low in the public rankings that go out like this, as to potentially throw off other teams (even just a bit). No upside to telling the truth, unless MacKenzie is just asking independent scouts for their rankings.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
My one question about these type of rankings I always have is this...If I'm a scout who loves a player (or a few), why would I give MacKenzie or anyone else a "REAL" basis for ranking, when all it does is alert competing teams / scouting departments about the likelihood a guy will be taken earlier or later? For me, I'd tell my scouts to drop the guys we love VERY low in the public rankings that go out like this, as to potentially throw off other teams (even just a bit). No upside to telling the truth, unless MacKenzie is just asking independent scouts for their rankings.

It's a good point. Also, would be interesting to know do all these interviewed scouts cover the whole hockey world or are some of the interviewees more like regional scouts with thorough knowledge of 2 or 3 leagues at most.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
It's a good point. Also, would be interesting to know do all these interviewed scouts cover the whole hockey world or are some of the interviewees more like regional scouts with thorough knowledge of 2 or 3 leagues at most.

I think most of the teams have had their mid-term scouting meetings, I know Ottawa recently had theirs...which means any scout belonging to an NHL team probably has a good idea of what their boards are looking like at the moment.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
If Koko falls to the second round, someone is getting a potential top-line talent.

With the Russian factor, I guess it's still may be an issue .. but he's an impressive player. Wow'ed me from the moment I saw him in camp, just a skill level way above his team mates.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
At 5'6" Grimaldi must be unbelievably skilled to be ranked as high as 31. Is he really that good? Is he expected to hit a growth spurt?

OilerOlli*

Cool, Mac Kenzie and ISS have the Top 4 in the same Ordr as I. People just underrate RNH here.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Is Biggs that good that he beat out guys like Puempel, Armia, and Rask?

Either I am really underrating this kid or he is really that good. Im not so sure.

the funny thing about Biggs is Bobby has him in the top 10 due to his performance a year ago at the u18 tournament. It is funny because very few people knew of this kid, yet he is a top 10 pick from almost a year ago?

I have had Biggs in the top 20-30 since last year, and it is mainly due to the way he plays. The kid just reminds me of a young Keith Tkachuk, and anyone who saw Keith play before all those injuries can attest to just how special that really is.

Biggs has the NHL size and grit already. He is mean and nasty and does not hide it. He has such soft hands that he has future 30 goal scorer written all over him. He just plays the game the way any power forward should, and he might end up going higher then Brandon Saad come June because of it.

People need to remember these are mid-term rankings, and this is when you start to hear more about the USNDP, USHL, and US Highschool kids. The scouts always see these kids a bit later then the CHL/Europe.

If you look at the rankings from 31-60, there are 12 Americans ranked in there, some of these kids will move up into the first round as the scouting becomes more frequent for the USNDP/USHL/Highschool. It always happens. There are also a lot of CHL Americans ranked in there as well, many of them wont move up too much unless they explode the second half, but the other American kids will rise more and more towards March.

Biggs is legit, has been for awhile, people just are realizing that due to the amount of scouting services ranking him top 5-10.

Stephaaane

Feb 13, 2009
Qc
Need more info about this guy

JAMIE OLEKSIAK

Yeah, anybody can give us a little scouting report on him?

17-18 years old 6'7 244lbs defender, ...:amazed:

I hope its not only is shape that put him in the 1st round...

Edit: JUst came across this, http://www.gonu.com/news/2010/6/7/MHOCKEY_0607100440.aspx

“He’s huge. He has great mobility and he is a very accurate passer. At 6’7, he is a sound all-around defenseman with a great shot. Once he fully matures, he will be a force to be reckoned with.” – Assistant coach, Albie O’Connell

Despite his tender age, Jamie Oleksiak offers a great deal of experience for the Huskies’ lineup this season. Most recently, Oleksiak split time with the Sioux Falls Stampede and Chicago Steel of the United States Hockey League. Last season, he combined for 14 points (2-12-14) from the blue line and thrust the Stampede into the 2010 USHL playoffs.

The summer prior to his season with Chicago and Sioux Falls, he was selected to represent the United States with the National U-18 Team at the Ivan Hlinka Tournament in Slovakia. The rest of the hockey world became cognizant of the 6’7 blue liner after getting drafted in the seventh round by the Saginaw Spirit of the Ontario Hockey League.

“Jamie has very good mobility and surprisingly soft hands for a young man his size,” O’Connell said. “He is projected to be a top-notch defenseman and a high NHL Draft pick in 2011.”

In his first season with USHL, Oleksiak participated in 29 contests with Chicago and registered four assists defensively. Before joining the junior ranks, Oleksiak dressed with the Detroit Little Caesars AAA Midget Major squad where he played in 30 games and secured 10 points (3-7-10). His efforts helped propel Little Caesars to the championship that season.

The newcomer will not turn 18 years old until Dec. 21, 2010, but he has played for five high-caliber clubs including an invitation to the U.S. National Team. While attending five different schools in his trials throughout hockey, Oleksiak has already endured a full plate before donning the red, white and black.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Definitely like where Jacobs is placed... and agree with you about Catennacci.

What did happen with Ambroz? --Was a prospect I was pretty excited about last year... did the wheels just fall off?? That's a huge drop. :help:

Ambroz stayed in the USHL too long, he should have went the CHL route. He hasnt destroyed the USHL like expected, but that is still a bit unfair as he is the youngest player on his team and isputting up almost a ppg.

He has flaws, and the early hype has made him look mortal, but I truly doubt he gets picked where he is ranked. He still has first round talent and appeal, someone will Joey Hishon him and pick him well higher then ranked imo.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah, anybody can give us a little scouting report on him?

17-18 years old 6'7 244lbs defender, ...:amazed:

I hope its not only is shape that put him in the 1st round...

Jamie Oleksiak is a big big boy, that was hyped pretty early on due to his size. I saw his flaws first hand many times in the USHL last year, and though he had flaws, you knew his talent was there.

It looks like he has become a more well rounded player that uses his size to his advantage. He has asolid shot,nothing extreme, but his skating and passing for a big man are strengths and not weaknesses. The kid has the opportunity to be a good one if he continues to utilize that size and work on the areas of improvement.

There are not many 6'7 240lb dmen out there, and it also helps that he can actually skate and pass on an average to above average level. He will be considered a project due to his size, but this kid has all the physical traits to make it to the NHL in some capacity down the road.

arsmaster*

the funny thing about Biggs is Bobby has him in the top 10 due to his performance a year ago at the u18 tournament. It is funny because very few people knew of this kid, yet he is a top 10 pick from almost a year ago?

I have had Biggs in the top 20-30 since last year, and it is mainly due to the way he plays. The kid just reminds me of a young Keith Tkachuk, and anyone who saw Keith play before all those injuries can attest to just how special that really is.

Biggs has the NHL size and grit already. He is mean and nasty and does not hide it. He has such soft hands that he has future 30 goal scorer written all over him. He just plays the game the way any power forward should, and he might end up going higher then Brandon Saad come June because of it.

People need to remember these are mid-term rankings, and this is when you start to hear more about the USNDP, USHL, and US Highschool kids. The scouts always see these kids a bit later then the CHL/Europe.

If you look at the rankings from 31-60, there are 12 Americans ranked in there, some of these kids will move up into the first round as the scouting becomes more frequent for the USNDP/USHL/Highschool. It always happens. There are also a lot of CHL Americans ranked in there as well, many of them wont move up too much unless they explode the second half, but the other American kids will rise more and more towards March.

Biggs is legit, has been for awhile, people just are realizing that due to the amount of scouting services ranking him top 5-10.

Hey AD, can you give any insight on JT Miller?

He is getting all these Kesler comparisons lately, im wondering if that is the "on pace for 45 goals" Kesler.

I always thought we was closer to a Drew Shore, with better skating.

Cheers if you can help at all.....he sounds like a real beauty, comparable to Mark Mcneil maybe????

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
At 5'6" Grimaldi must be unbelievably skilled to be ranked as high as 31. Is he really that good? Is he expected to hit a growth spurt?

I think a lot of scouts are convinced he'll be a player despite his size. I don't see him ever being much bigger than a Gerbe. Best case scenario is Gionta (size-wise). That being said, he is very skilled, is extremely quick (probably the quickest in the draft), and has all the intangibles. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team in the lower half of the first round take a flier on him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hey AD, can you give any insight on JT Miller?

He is getting all these Kesler comparisons lately, im wondering if that is the "on pace for 45 goals" Kesler.

I always thought we was closer to a Drew Shore, with better skating.

Cheers if you can help at all.....he sounds like a real beauty, comparable to Mark Mcneil maybe????

I really dont buy the Ryan Kesler comparison, but who would have thought Ryan Kesler would be having the career he has when he got drafted. Kesler was a more defensive minded player that had a tremendous understanding of the game, but the rest of his offensive skills were lacking.

As for Miller, I cant really make the claim that he can be the next Kesler. I like J.T, and what he brings to the table, but he doesnt wow you in any one area. Maybe that is Kesler like, but Miller has a ways to go before we compare the two.

Miller has solid size and soft hands, the kid is no slouch offensively. I can honestly see a Drew Stafford type player in him if anything. Has the size, uses it at times, but always leaves you wanting so much more. Everytime I see Stafford, I see the talent, but never the production. Though he looks to be turning the page a bit of late.

Miller should be a first round pick, but that all depends on what teams think he can one day turn into offensively...same thing happened with Kesler, Vancouver believed in him, and it has paid off.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I think most of the teams have had their mid-term scouting meetings, I know Ottawa recently had theirs...which means any scout belonging to an NHL team probably has a good idea of what their boards are looking like at the moment.
Yep, but which one would you choose from two potentially equal prospects; a player that you know in-side-out and like a lot, or a player that you have only seen on video and is been praised by a fellow scout. This could potentially affect the ranking, especially if several of the interviewed scouts are from the same area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad