Bob McKenzie's Top 10 (Scout Survey)

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
EDM| 1. Nugent Hopkins (6 of 10 1st place votes)
COL| 2. Larsson (2 of 10)
FLA| 3. Landeskog (2 of 10)
NJD| 4. Huberdeau
NYI| 5. Couturier (ranked #1 in Sept)
OTT| 6. Strome
ATL| 7. Hamilton
CBJ| 8. Murphy
BOS| 9. Siemens (new to Top 10)
MIN|10. Zibanejad (new to Top 10)

Falling Out of Top 10 since January:
Saad and Biggs

The Rankings
January Rankings
September Rankings
Draft Order

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
About what I expected. RNH, Larsson and Landeskog in some order 1,2,3 with 5 guys closely behind them

4thliner*

1. Nugent Hopkins
2. Larsson
3. Landeskog
4. Huberdeau
5. Couturier
6. Strome

7. Hamilton
8. Murphy
9. Siemens
10. Zibanejad

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=361993

I don't know why some Ottawa fans are upset for losing the lottery, actually NYI lost too, so there are 2 losers here. They need game changing forwards here and picking at 6 guaranteed at least STROME who is dynamic offensive player. If not him then one of Huberdeau or Couturier.

Now if they were picking 7th, no slight against the elite dman like Hamilton and Murphy, that would have sucked big-time.

Last edited by a moderator:

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I disagree with Huberdeau above Couturier. I just think SC is more of a complete player. But so be it. The way they were talking everybody basically writing RNH first in stone which I find hard to believe. But we will all see. 2 and a half more months of speculation.

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC
You all misheard. He didn't say Zibanejad. He was mispronouncing Puempel. Clearly Zibanejad is not a top ten talent, and should fall so that the Habs can waste their pick on him.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
I disagree with Huberdeau above Couturier. I just think SC is more of a complete player. But so be it. The way they were talking everybody basically writing RNH first in stone which I find hard to believe. But we will all see. 2 and a half more months of speculation.

Same here. I think this whole "Couturier's draft stock is falling" stuff is overblown. He goes from being ranked #1 month after to month and after a "poor" performance in the WJC, (He was playing a bottom-6 role, and did just that. Sure, he didn't blow anyone away, but he did his job) he drops to #5 despite his consistent and dominating performance in the QMJHL. Not to mention that the WJC probably isn't the best way to determine how good a player is.

Last edited:

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Same here. I think this whole "Couturier's draft stock is falling" stuff is overblown. He goes from being ranked #1 month after to month and after a "poor" performance in the WJC, (he's was playing a bottom-6 role, and did just that. Sure, he didn't blow anyone away, but he did his job) he drops to #5 despite his consistent performance in the QMJHL. Not to mention that the WJC probably isn't the best way to determine how good a player is.

Completely agree.

Pierre MacGuire was on Ottawa radio this am and said that if teams pass on Couturier, they will regret it. He likened the potential drop on draft day to what happened with Fowler last year, and Parise in 2006.

Another nugget Pierre dropped was that even as Couturier amassed almost 100 points again this season, he did it in ten less games...he was battling mono.

Devils jump all over this guy at four IMO.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Completely agree.

Pierre MacGuire was on Ottawa radio this am and said that if teams pass on Couturier, they will regret it. He likened the potential drop on draft day to what happened with Fowler last year, and Parise in 2006.

Another nugget Pierre dropped was that even as Couturier amassed almost 100 points again this season, he did it in ten less games...he was battling mono.

Devils jump all over this guy at four IMO.

Agreed as well. There's no way he falls past 4, and I think Florida might give him a chance at 3, but then again it's hard to see Landeskog or Larsson falling out of the top 3.

mbowman

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto/Halifax
Same here. I think this whole "Couturier's draft stock is falling" stuff is overblown. He goes from being ranked #1 month after to month and after a "poor" performance in the WJC, (He was playing a bottom-6 role, and did just that. Sure, he didn't blow anyone away, but he did his job) he drops to #5 despite his consistent and dominating performance in the QMJHL. Not to mention that the WJC probably isn't the best way to determine how good a player is.

i think the typical consensus about draft-eligible players at the WJHC is that they can't lower their stock with a weak performance, but they can improve it with a good performance.

At least this is what I've heard Bob Mckenzie say before

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I could see fla taking coturier since they have booth and hes exactly what tallon looks for but Landeskog is the BPA at 3rd
Edm RNH
Col Larsson
Fla Coturier
NJ Hamilton
NYI Landeskog

bringbackziggy

Jul 25, 2007
The reason Couturier is dropping is simply because he is a boring prospect and GMs want high end talent in the top 10. All you have to do is watch the highlight videos of the top 8 guys on youtube, every one of them will make you change your mind on who you want your team to pick...except Couturier. A highlight video is supposed to show the best plays made by the player, how is it possible that Couturier has never made a nice play in his life? Every highlight video on him is of him skating in pregame warmups or just taking a weak wrister that gets saved, it's unreal how boring his highlights are.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
i think the typical consensus about draft-eligible players at the WJHC is that they can't lower their stock with a weak performance, but they can improve it with a good performance.

At least this is what I've heard Bob Mckenzie say before

You might be confusing the WJ's with the CHL Top Prospects game. I know that is exactly what they said about that game.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
The reason Couturier is dropping is simply because he is a boring prospect and GMs want high end talent in the top 10. All you have to do is watch the highlight videos of the top 8 guys on youtube, every one of them will make you change your mind on who you want your team to pick...except Couturier. A highlight video is supposed to show the best plays made by the player, how is it possible that Couturier has never made a nice play in his life? Every highlight video on him is of him skating in pregame warmups or just taking a weak wrister that gets saved, it's unreal how boring his highlights are.

But despite this he's a great player? Where would you have him ranked?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Where would the scouts be without youtube.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

I disagree with this assessment. Landeskog is not considered to have high end talent, but he hasn't dropped.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Courturier has been touted as the top pic for so long, its no wonder hes falling. Everyone has been watching him for the last 2 years and some flaws become noticeable.

If he falls to 6 I'll be shocked, especially with the news that he has had mono this season

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Courturier has been touted as the top pic for so long, its no wonder hes falling. Everyone has been watching him for the last 2 years and some flaws become noticeable.

If he falls to 6 I'll be shocked, especially with the news that he has had mono this season

Hall and Tavares were also in the spotlight for a long time, and they did not fall because of it.

I think there is likely a valid reason for Courturier's fall.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I think the reason offered by TSN for couturier falling was that he has been consistently good all year, but hasn't improved. The players passing him have all shown huge improvement this year, while couturier has been steady, suggesting that he has plateaued or even peaked.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I think the reason offered by TSN for couturier falling was that he has been consistently good all year, but hasn't improved. The players passing him have all shown huge improvement this year, while couturier has been steady, suggesting that he has plateaued or even peaked.

This is spot on. Couldn't agree more.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Hall and Tavares were also in the spotlight for a long time, and they did not fall because of it.

I think there is likely a valid reason for Courturier's fall.

But in many scouts minds, Tavares did fall. He went from the clear number 1 to in a three man race. The Isles picked him, but his stock at the draft was not as high as it was a year earlier. What would have happened if Tavares spent part of his draft year battling mono, and his numbers suffered?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
But in many scouts minds, Tavares did fall. He went from the clear number 1 to in a three man race. The Isles picked him, but his stock at the draft was not as high as it was a year earlier. What would have happened if Tavares spent part of his draft year battling mono, and his numbers suffered?

He would have went first overall.

He was always a clear #1, Hedman and Duchene never really had a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad