Bob McKenzie Mid-Season Draft Ranking

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The people he spoke with seemed very low on the American players and everyone other than the Canadians, so either it's a terrible crop for every country other than Canada or as I suggested elsewhere he's lost his touch (after not really being active in hockey for a few years now) in accurately predicting the draft order. 18 Canadians seems like a lot. It doesn't seem to be a strong crop for any of the CHL leagues.

Number of Canadians last 6 drafts:

2023: 12
2022: 9
2021: 18
2020: 19
2019: 13
2018: 10

It's not unprecedented for 18, but it would need to be a very strong year. Some of these guys he has in the late first like Basha, Howe, Parascak, Beaudoin, Sennecke, Ritchie, Luchanko are bubble firsts. That they would all be ranked in the first again makes me think he's probably lost some of his contacts and doesn't have the best grasp. Probably easier for someone like him that he would keep his CHL contacts that would pump up the players in their region than his contacts in other leagues and countries, along with the senior scouts for teams that I'm not buying this is what their lists look like.
The Sweden 06s being no good is hardly surprising. That's been known for some time now. They didn't call up a single 06 for last year's U18s, and the group they brought to the Gretzky-Hlinka thing got worked by a USA B Team with zero experience together (compared to the Swedes who would have had some 20 games together the prior season).

Whether they are too low on USNDTP kids right now is tough to say. Eiserman is still rated high and Hagens is the best player of the crop but a late birthday. All the WHL kids are just a product of the academies taking these kids in and making them professionals at like age 13. Certainly possible that some of the OHL kids are getting overrated and more of a default in the meatier parts of this ranking... especially if he's polling scouts located nearby, while more USHL kids and Europeans outside the obvious haven't been scouted that closely yet. The QMJHL kids continue to get no love from the scouts - Number 35, 52, 58, 74, and HM.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The people he spoke with seemed very low on the American players and everyone other than the Canadians, so either it's a terrible crop for every country other than Canada or as I suggested elsewhere he's lost his touch (after not really being active in hockey for a few years now) in accurately predicting the draft order. 18 Canadians seems like a lot. It doesn't seem to be a strong crop for any of the CHL leagues.

Number of Canadians last 6 drafts:

2023: 12
2022: 9
2021: 18
2020: 19
2019: 13
2018: 10

It's not unprecedented for 18, but it would need to be a very strong year. Some of these guys he has in the late first like Basha, Howe, Parascak, Beaudoin, Sennecke, Ritchie, Luchanko are bubble firsts. That they would all be ranked in the first again makes me think he's probably lost some of his contacts and doesn't have the best grasp. Probably easier for someone like him that he would keep his CHL contacts that would pump up the players in their region than his contacts in other leagues and countries, along with the senior scouts for teams that I'm not buying this is what their lists look like.
How can you say this isn't a (yet another) strong crop from the WHL?

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
I don't think Benson's draft position would really change at all in a re-draft.

Draft-watching fans love small skill players. NHL teams value size at C and D and those players are nearly impossible to get other than by drafting them or overpaying in UFA.
How can you say that? He's been among the best forward of an NHL team name me 10 players who would go in front of him in a redraft, I'm curious

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
How can you say that? He's been among the best forward of an NHL team name me 10 players who would go in front of him in a redraft, I'm curious
Yeah, I agree. It's like Saku Koivu. Was small. Didn't have blistering speed. Wasn't exactly great defensively at the start (became much better later), but IQ, elite puck skills and sheer will to be the best made him a star. If he didn't bust his leg that one year (was leading the NHL in scoring as late as Christmas if I recall), likely would've been in and remained in that superstar category. I see a lot of Koivu in Benson.

Reactions: Chainshot

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How can you say this isn't a (yet another) strong crop from the WHL?
Last year had Bedard, Benson, Danielson, Yager, Cristall, Heidt, Honzek, Dragicevic

2022 had Korchinski, Savoie, Geekie, Mateychuk, Pickering, Firkus, Schaefer, Minten

2021 had Guenther, Cossa, Lambos, Allan, Zellweger, Evans, Stankoven

2020 had Jarvis, Guhle, Schneider, Zary, Neighbours, Greig, Wiesblatt, Garand

2019 had Dach, Byram, Cozens, Krebs, Thomson, Foote, Tracey, Sogaard, Proteas

I think Catton is very good. Yakemchuk is decent. Lindstrom is overrated. Then you get into some of the scorers like Iginla, Parascak, Howe, Basha that I think could really go either way. Not really too high on any of them, although I wouldn't say I dislike them either. Elick has potential, but his puck game is very worrying. Marques, Smith, and Roberts are the WHL guys I think are underrated right now.

I see this as an average group compared to those five prior years, but I guess if you are high on Lindstrom, Catton, Yakemchuk, and then high on most or all of those others McKenzie has first round (I think Iginla is the only first round lock of that bunch) then it might be a good WHL crop.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
This Silayev fraud continues to play out
The one guy that will go way too high and not meet expectations. Would not be surprised if he is #1 on the Habs draft rankings. Catton will also slide and end up being the steal of the draft.

Reactions: Napoli

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Last year had Bedard, Benson, Danielson, Yager, Cristall, Heidt, Honzek, Dragicevic

2022 had Korchinski, Savoie, Geekie, Mateychuk, Pickering, Firkus, Schaefer, Minten

I think Catton is very good. Yakemchuk is decent. Lindstrom is overrated. Then you get into some of the scorers like Iginla, Parascak, Howe, Basha that I think could really go either way. Not really too high on any of them, although I wouldn't say I dislike them either. Elick has potential, but his puck game is very worrying. Marques, Smith, and Roberts are the WHL guys I think are underrated right now.

I see this as an average group compared to those five prior years, but I guess if you are high on Lindstrom, Catton, Yakemchuk, and then high on most or all of those others McKenzie has first round (I think Iginla is the only first round lock of that bunch) then it might be a good WHL crop.
Dude, don’t you have Catton like top 3 or top 5?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dude, don’t you have Catton like top 3 or top 5?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This Silayev fraud continues to play out
What a shock, the guy that hates every Russian player more than anyone else on here calls the 17 year old defensemen that NHL scouts seem to love a "fraud". I'm sure this claim of "fraud" is based on a well grounded and reasoned analysis and not blind nationalism hate and comparisons to random KHL player born 20 years earlier.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
If this is accurate, add me to another that doesn’t understand why NHL teams are so low on Catton. Silayev and Lindstrom ahead of Catton and Demidov could look terrible in 5 years.
Your entire post is just filler. Of course it could look terrible, just like it could look like the right decision. This just in, picking a player at 18 years old is a crap shoot and any pick could be the right one or the wrong one.

Even the first overall pick which generally is consesus amongst the overwhelming majority ends up being wrong just as often as it turns out right. Over the last 10 drafts from 2014-2023 50% of the 1st overall picks haven't been the best player for their draft class.

Saying a pick could look terrible is great forecasting. Not fully committing to the take so you can say in 5 years you said might so you also said it may be the right choice.

Reactions: bert

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
I didn’t get a sense from this article as to how this draft compares to last years draft.

Is it on par in terms of talent and depth?
No and probably not. Technically it could be an all-time great draft for defensemen, it could be littered with disappointments.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No and probably not. Technically it could be an all-time great draft for defensemen, it could be littered with disappointments.
Last year's forwards with this year's defensemen would be like a 2003 level stacked draft, lol

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Your entire post is just filler. Of course it could look terrible, just like it could look like the right decision. This just in, picking a player at 18 years old is a crap shoot and any pick could be the right one or the wrong one.

Even the first overall pick which generally is consesus amongst the overwhelming majority ends up being wrong just as often as it turns out right. Over the last 10 drafts from 2014-2023 50% of the 1st overall picks haven't been the best player for their draft class.

Saying a pick could look terrible is great forecasting. Not fully committing to the take so you can say in 5 years you said might so you also said it may be the right choice.
Your entire post is being the grammar police. It was very clear what I was saying. You don't need to parse a word or two. If you disagree, say so and explain why.

Reactions: Blueston and QJL

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
What a shock, the guy that hates every Russian player more than anyone else on here calls the 17 year old defensemen that NHL scouts seem to love a "fraud". I'm sure this claim of "fraud" is based on a well grounded and reasoned analysis and not blind nationalism hate and comparisons to random KHL player born 20 years earlier.
Silayev hype is based on his "historic season". Thats what I call a fraud, not Silayev himself.

Face it, russians dont do internationals this year, only place where you can see Silayev is KHL, and considering the circumstances there are not so many NHL scouts there. So, his hype is bases largerly on a "historic performance". This is the selling point of Silayev he is "6'7 and posting historical numbers in KHL!"
Now, just 5 month ago, he was not much of a top prospect in Russia, had a mediocre MHL season, then, he got under the coach who likes to give young players ice time and opportunity, hit a hot streak in first 2 weeks of the season and now, based on this very limited sample he is #2 for Bob

For me, he is a project late 1st rounder, not a top 10 guy.

Reactions: DrBoomMadGenius

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
Silayev reminds me of Andrei Zyuzin and Oleg Tverdovsky, Two Russian defenders that went really high in their draft years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. it was still difficult to get over there and scout those players so in my opinion it made people believe they had more potential as NHLers than they did. I think the same thing is happening with Silayev since most teams can’t get over there and get eyes on him. They have to go off of his mesurables and statistics which are impressive but don’t tell the whole story in my opinion.

I understand why people are so enamoured with him, it makes sense but I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he disappoints if he gets selected that high.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Silayev reminds me of Andrei Zyuzin and Oleg Tverdovsky, Two Russian defenders that went really high in their draft years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. it was still difficult to get over there and scout those players so in my opinion it made people believe they had more potential as NHLers than they did. I think the same thing is happening with Silayev since most teams can’t get over there and get eyes on him. They have to go off of his mesurables and statistics which are impressive but don’t tell the whole story in my opinion.

I understand why people are so enamoured with him, it makes sense but I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he disappoints if he gets selected that high.
Silayev hype is based on his "historic season". Thats what I call a fraud, not Silayev himself.

Face it, russians dont do internationals this year, only place where you can see Silayev is KHL, and considering the circumstances there are not so many NHL scouts there. So, his hype is bases largerly on a "historic performance". This is the selling point of Silayev he is "6'7 and posting historical numbers in KHL!"
Now, just 5 month ago, he was not much of a top prospect in Russia, had a mediocre MHL season, then, he got under the coach who likes to give young players ice time and opportunity, hit a hot streak in first 2 weeks of the season and now, based on this very limited sample he is #2 for Bob

For me, he is a project late 1st rounder, not a top 10 guy.

Scouts arent going off measurables, statistics, or hype from ascribed 'historic performance'.
KHL games are available online. Anybody can watch Silayev; every shift he plays. Good and bad.

His tool-set, size and potential are what have people drooling; especially considering he's a gawky teenager who has yet to grow into his giraffe-like frame.

Granted it’s not quite like seeing him in person, but he isnt some enigma people cant scout.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It just is kinda funny that Silayev after scoring 6 points in 6 games was ranked like 9th, and now after scoring 5 points in the next 46 games he's ranked 2nd.

gothegr8

Jul 7, 2012
It just is kinda funny that Silayev after scoring 6 points in 6 games was ranked like 9th, and now after scoring 5 points in the next 46 games he's ranked 2nd.

Why would it be funny? Bob explained it all back in september.

''
Perhaps the most flat-out intriguing prospect on TSN’s pre-season list is 6-foot-6, 203-pound Russian left-shot defenceman Anton Silayev. When TSN made its initial inquiries of the scouts on the Class of 2024, Silayev was nowhere to be found. But once the KHL started playing games in the last couple of weeks, scouts were scrambling to get a handle on the Russian behemoth who seemingly came out of nowhere to create seismic shock waves in the scouting community.

The scouting opinions on Silayev are all over the place. What we do know is that in his first four KHL outings he played close to 20 minutes per game and picked up four assists. Russian scouts immediately alerted their NHL teams to this larger-than-life surprise. Some teams have already done deep (video) dives on his KHL games — as well as looking back on what seem to be pretty non-descript scouting reports from last year — while others are just now coming to the Silayev party.

But there’s an incredible buzz about Silayev because, in an admittedly minute sample size, he does look like a prospect with all the tools to be a No. 1 NHL defenceman. But where on the pre-season list do you slot him, when some of the scouts we surveyed still haven’t watched him play and aren’t quite sure yet what to make of him?

Well, one scout said Silayev could eclipse Levshunov and Dickinson as the top D prospects in the draft, and he should be immediately pegged as a Top 5 pick. Some others said it’s way premature to even put him in the pre-season Top 10. But there were enough of our 10 scouts who believe he has tools that will allow him to challenge the Big D Three of Levshunov, Dickinson and Jiricek and, given his size, could already be eclipsing a gaggle of smaller, more one-dimensional offensive defencemen.''

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
What am I missing with Buium? Or is this a Sanderson situation where he will end up a Top 5 when all is said and done. His production is insane, had a great WJC and he’s got more size than your typical OFD gunner. There’s also the fact it’s a copycat league and the teams with premier OFD are almost all thriving

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Scouts aren't ranking him 2nd because of point totals.

He's a 6'7 smooth skating D playing in the KHL at 17.

Simashev went 6th in a deeper draft class for similar reasons.

Incredible potential as a shutdown defenseman.

What am I missing with Buium? Or is this a Sanderson situation where he will end up a Top 5 when all is said and done. His production is insane, had a great WJC and he’s got more size than your typical OFD gunner. There’s also the fact it’s a copycat league and the teams with premier OFD are almost all thriving

Like with Silayev, scouts aren't putting nearly as much weight into his production as fans are.

Yeah he has excellent production but he's also in the perfect situation to do so passing to the top two scorers in the country in Rizzo and Devine.

Don't know if I see elite offensive or defensive upside in him, but he absolutely deserves to be top 15.

Reactions: Blueston

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think you get one answer if he projects to play at 6'2" 200lbs and another if he is 6' 180lbs. His stock could well rise or fall based on his measurements at the combine.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah he has excellent production but he's also in the perfect situation to do so passing to the top two scorers in the country in Rizzo and Devine.

Don't know if I see elite offensive or defensive upside in him, but he absolutely deserves to be top 15.
His production isn’t excellent. It’s historic. As in better than Fox, both Hughes bros, Leetch and others.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
His production isn’t excellent. It’s historic. As in better than Fox, both Hughes bros, Leetch and others.

Same goes for Hutson and Casey, but that doesn't mean they are elite prospects.

Defenseman scoring in general is historically high. That applies to pro and the junior level.

Not exactly a secret why either. The new PP format where the defenseman QBs at the top leads to way more assists and boosts their numbers significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad