Bob McKenzie Mid-Season Draft Ranking

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Same goes for Hutson and Casey, but that doesn't mean they are elite prospects.

Defenseman scoring in general is historically high. That applies to pro and the junior level.

Not exactly a secret why either. The new PP format where the defenseman QBs at the top leads to way more assists and boosts their numbers significantly.
yeah, I saw something that showed Sam Rinzel as having like a top 15 all time U20 scoring season by a defenseman in NCAA, and it seemed like every season was in the last couple years. I'm positive on Rinzel but not *that* high that a no context approach to that would take.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Same goes for Hutson and Casey, but that doesn't mean they are elite prospects.

Defenseman scoring in general is historically high. That applies to pro and the junior level.

Not exactly a secret why either. The new PP format where the defenseman QBs at the top leads to way more assists and boosts their numbers significantly.
He’s outscoring both of them as a true freshman. He’s also likely to end up a better defender than both of them.

But you do make some good points. My point is that he should be higher than low teens. Both those other guys would be picked way higher in a redraft and Buium arguably has a higher floor than them

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He’s outscoring both of them as a true freshman. He’s also likely to end up a better defender than both of them.

He's is younger than those two but he's not a true freshman.

He's a late-born '05 and all the other quality '05s on the USNTDP last season are also in their first year of college hockey.

The list of true freshman since the lockout is very short:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

He's a late-born '05 and all the other quality '05s on the USNTDP last season are also in their first year of college hockey.

good grief not this again... your obsession with negging late birthdays continues to ignore the disadvantages of being a late birthday throughout minor hockey.

"True Freshman" refers to a player in their first year of college, not anything to do with their year of birth or related to their draft status, hope this helps. He's a true Freshman, just like say, Will Smith is a true freshman regardless of Smith getting drafted last year and Buium being draft eligible this year.

The poster you replied to said he was younger than Casey and Hutson (true) and is a true freshman (also true). They did not say Buium was in his Minor/Junior Hockey "aged 17" season, which is thing you linked that has nothing to do with being a "true freshman".

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Not really, aren't those accelerated freshmen? If high school is u16-u18 then the freshman college year would be u19, at least over here. If you're a freshman at u18 you need to have skipped a year, right?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
good grief not this again... your obsession with negging late birthdays continues to ignore the disadvantages of being a late birthday throughout minor hockey.

"True Freshman" refers to a player in their first year of college, not anything to do with their year of birth or related to their draft status, hope this helps. He's a true Freshman, just like say, Will Smith is a true freshman regardless of Smith getting drafted last year and Buium being draft eligible this year.

The poster you replied to said he was younger than Casey and Hutson (true) and is a true freshman (also true). They did not say Buium was in his Minor/Junior Hockey "aged 17" season, which is thing you linked that has nothing to do with being a "true freshman".

The only person who is obsessed with this subject is you because for some reason you seem incapable of understanding how late birthdays work.

I've only heard the term "true freshman" referred to players playing in the NCAA in their draft year, as implies they are jumping up a level early and legitimately are doing something impressive, but perhaps I'm wrong on this.

My general point is that Buium being in the NCAA as an '05 is not special or surprising, just like it's not special or surprising that his other '05 born USNTDP teammates Smith, Perreault, Moore, Leonard, Nelson, etc... are in the NCAA.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I've only heard the term "true freshman" referred to players playing in the NCAA in their draft year, as implies they are jumping up a level early and legitimately are doing something impressive, but perhaps I'm wrong on this.

My general point is that Buium being in the NCAA as an '05 is not special or surprising, just like it's not special or surprising that his other '05 born USNTDP teammates Smith, Perreault, Moore, Leonard, Nelson, etc... are in the NCAA.
Not "perhaps" you're wrong. You are wrong. Full stop. Glad to help inform you.

Nobody said there is anything particularly remarkable about Buium playing in the NCAA as an '05, so that's a strawman.

Reactions: Blueston

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I usually say I’m not surprise by Bob’s scout list because it’s predictable enough by this point of seeing what NHL teams prefer and don’t prefer, but this was a little off the wall and looks more like the list of one person.

Is it fair to ask if Bob is still a plugged in as he was in the past? I’m not at all saying that he’s not doing his work to ask scouts, but is he asking the senior scouts at NHL teams? Does he still have those connections and know those people? He’s not been full time for a few years now. He’s barely part time, and his job requires building connections. Seems like something that you need to be regularly working at to do.
Here we go hahaha.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Dont think he skates like the wind and I think he has questionable IQ and decision making. He reminds me of Matthew Wood last year. Wood has much better decision making and IQ, but Lindstrom is a marginally better skater. Both are non physical big forwards.
Big, questionable IQ and decision making.. Welcome to the Habs!

• Haha
Reactions: Realgud

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Scouts arent going off measurables, statistics, or hype from ascribed 'historic performance'.
KHL games are available online. Anybody can watch Silayev; every shift he plays. Good and bad.

His tool-set, size and potential are what have people drooling; especially considering he's a gawky teenager who has yet to grow into his giraffe-like frame.

Granted it’s not quite like seeing him in person, but he isnt some enigma people cant scout.
I cant even believe this had to be explained haha. Yes its better to watch the player live then video. But the video is great now, nothing like in the 90's.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The only person who is obsessed with this subject is you because for some reason you seem incapable of understanding how late birthdays work.

I mean you are wrong but that’s okay. True freshman comes from talking about college football (due to red shirt) and means a player is in his first year of college, instead of being a redshirt freshman. (2nd of college).

Also I mean yes he’s a late birthday… but in college in his freshman year, just like every single other kid born in October of 2005 would be in college this year. He’s a true freshman. It doesn’t have anything to do with finishing credits early and then playing in your D0.

You can say that what Macklin is doing at 17 is way more impressive, but they’re both true freshman.

Reactions: coooldude

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

It has nothing to do with their draft year. True freshmen are players who play college sports during their first academic year, as opposed to a redshirt freshmen who plays their first year of sports in their sophomore (2nd) academic year.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I think you get one answer if he projects to play at 6'2" 200lbs and another if he is 6' 180lbs. His stock could well rise or fall based on his measurements at the combine.
He also doesn't skate well

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

True freshman just mean's it their first year and they never redshirted. You could enter at 20 and still be a true freshman. It's a term more commonly applied to College football. It is very rarely used in hockey, atleast when talking about big name prospects.

Keep in mind, a ton of American school systems do the September to August calendar. It's not like Canada, where pretty much every school district runs on the Jan 1st to December 31st calendar for school year.

Matthew Tkachuk and Auston Matthews actually would have had to fast-track due to their birthdays to play college hockey in their draft season. Patrick Kane who was a late birthday attended high-school when he was on the Knights.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
TSN is carrying the CHL Prospects game tomorrow it will interesting to watch it and see who looks good or not...Its coverage is slated for 4:30 Mountain...probably 5 Start time, January 24th from Moncton,NB,Canada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad