TSN Radio Bob McKenzie: Everyone on Carolina except Sebastian Aho is available

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Trading Kadri seems illogical.

Generally don't like the idea of trading point producing forwards for D.

We should continue to draft and develop at D and pick up cheaper options that fall through the cracks at free agency.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
yeah I know, but Leafs don't have to give up a big piece to get Nylander so it doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canes didn't like that though

Nylander is arguably as good as Kadri now, albeit slightly less valuable in the very short term. Going forward I don't think it's particularly close though

I'd say Nylander is better offensively right now, and is pretty decent two way as well. Perhaps I mean, Nylander's role on the team is easier to replace, than Kadri. We have depth in wingers, there are some available as UFA.... the C's available are pretty small at this point. Under the pipe dream that we sign Tavares, and we can pick up another C from somewhere....

Maybe they'd be interested in an expanded deal, if we signed Tavares? Kadri + 2018 1st, Hainsey for Pesce + Staal/Rask.

Hainsey made Faulk look good as partners.... C depth of Matthews, Tavares, Staal wouldn't be terrible... though it would eat a lot of cap.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Some good young pieces on their blueline, but I have a feeling that Faulk is the one they'll end up moving (he's obviously not old either). Perhaps Skinner up front too. Not sure they're the best fits for us in trade.

Of course, there's probably some truth to the thought that you never know who is available until you realize what you might be willing to part with. Don't think anything of that magnitude happens, but I suppose it's possible.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Considering that the Hurricanes are one of the best advanced stats teams in the league, and with our 32 year old recently crowned GM Kyle Dubas being a huge analytics guy, there has to be a lot of players on that team he will look at this offseason, mainly Brett Pesce, Justin Faulk, and Jeff Skinner.

Pesce is a 6'3 RH RD that would fit very well here, he's a big need right now and is the same age group as most of our core. Justin Faulk (another RH RD) and Jeff Skinner it seems like people like to connect them to the Leafs whenever there's rumours or when someone makes a proposal. They both had off years, so maybe a change of scenery would work wonders.

You'd have to think players like Kadri (especially if we luck out on the Tavares sweepstakes), Gardiner, Hyman, Brown, or Leivo would have to go the other way if we were to acquire one or more of those 3.

edit: source 14:25 in

Now you are talking

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Have a hard time seeing Dubas make a huge trade this offseason, (ie one including a young core Leafs player going the other way). No way he trades Nylander now too. And unless the Leafs lock in JT moving Kadri isn’t happening.

Now if one of the Canes guys could be had for a package involving guys like Brown/Kapanen then maybe it could happen.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Have a hard time seeing Dubas make a huge trade this offseason, (ie one including a you core Leafs player going the other way). No way he trades Nylander now too. And unless the Leafs lock in JT moving Kadri isn’t happening.

Now if one of the Canes guys could be had for a package involving guys like Brown/Kapanen then maybe it could happen.
i also can't see Dubas taking a huge risk in his first off season

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I know. And as a starting point, it's a no go for me. Pesce is not good enough to be the main piece coming back for Nylander.
I think Kadri would be the one they are after. They wanted to play with more bite, felt they were to soft at forward.
Kadri can give you that. 30 goal scoring center gets you the top 4 RHD.
Now would you do that? That's the part about a GM making the hard decisions.
What are your options after that?
Nylander to center?
Gardiner dealt for a 3C?
The ongoing dream of Tavares signing here?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I agree, in fact a young inexperience GM would likely lean more to conservative safe moves that can't blow up in his face and come back to haunt him.
Wasn't his first move the Kessel deal? Ie the biggest piece and most talented player on the roster?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I agree, in fact a young inexperience GM would likely lean more to conservative safe moves that can't blow up in his face and come back to haunt him.
yup why risk your career on a Burke type blunder before it starts

also with our core so young it's easy to buy time for a few years while you make safe moves before possibly being forced to gamble

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't see why Carolina would want Gardiner to trade a D like Pesce and I doubt the other names are going to cut it. Impact for impact. Kadri or Nylander for sure if we are talking about a core RHD.

More like Gardiner for asset, and asset for Pesce. I don't think he would be that costly. More for Slavin or Faulk and how much can they expect for the third best D on one of the worst clubs in the league? He has had one good year and it wasn't this year. Don't get me wrong I like him, but I don't see him costing as much as you suggest. I guess we'll see.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Gariner has to move. he's UFA. They can't do that 2 years in a row. And I cannot see them signing him long-term.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think Kadri would be the one they are after. They wanted to play with more bite, felt they were to soft at forward.
Nylander to center?
Gardiner dealt for a 3C?
Nylander to C, pickup a mid-6 C (Bozak's/Thornton), Beagle/Letestu for 4th line C.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wasn't his first move the Kessel deal? Ie the biggest piece and most talented player on the roster?

That was a organization mandate to "scorch the earth" and likely something influenced and predicated by the Babcock signing that Phil had to go to give this team a fresh start. Also it was both Dubas/Hunter in the interim GM chair and Shanny directing things..

Hockey experts still today suggest Leafs got taken to the cleaners on the Kessel trade, so that would make a new greenhorn even more gun shy to repeat past mistakes. "Once bitten twice shy"..

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Well that owner has done plenty of damage.
yup the owners looks like a f***ing idiot

i also don't understand why you'd buy a team and then not be willing to spend money even if it's just on mgmt to give the team a decent chance of winning

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That was a organization mandate to "scorch the earth" and likely something influenced and predicated by the Babcock signing that Phil had to go to give this team a fresh start.
You'd think the mandate for now is to get better.

Hockey experts still today suggest Leafs got taken to the cleaners on the Kessel trade, so that would make a new greenhorn even more gun shy to repeat past mistakes.
It was an awful deal, but if our GM is scared to make a move because of it then we're in trouble. You'd think management would pass on someone like that for GM when there were other options, so I doubt he's scared to make a move. Probably doesn't see the point a Nylander for Pesce type deal though.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
More like Gardiner for asset, and asset for Pesce. I don't think he would be that costly. More for Slavin or Faulk and how much can they expect for the third best D on one of the worst clubs in the league? He has had one good year and it wasn't this year. Don't get me wrong I like him, but I don't see him costing as much as you suggest. I guess we'll see.
Gardiner is a time sensitive asset. This is it.
Kadri is signed at an excellent deal moving forward. Plus he actually fits the bill of what Carolina would need, not what we want to trade.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander to center?
Gardiner dealt for a 3C?

If the dream of signing Tavares does not come true, then they may as well preach patience because they are not going to advance farther next year. I don't see how they can replace our UFAs and fix the defense with the assets we have/willing to trade.

Reactions: Trapper

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You'd think the mandate for now is to get better.

It was an awful deal, but if our GM is scared to make a move because of it then we're in trouble. You'd think management would pass on someone like that for GM when there were other options, so I doubt he's scared to make a move. Probably doesn't see the point a Nylander for Pesce type deal though.

If the Leafs want a younger top 4 Dman than Nylander might the most likely asset that it would take to address the need on defense at the expense of offense.

If Dubas were to deal Willy I see it more in the pursuit of true #1Dman like say OEL in Arizona at the entry draft. However I believe such a deal would have needed Lou Lam moxey to pull off.

Dubas more than likely due to his age and inexperience will play it safe and prefer to play a long game trying to add players opportunely and at a cheaper trade costs to build around the edges as opposed to a blockbuster to put his own imprint on the team. IMO

Carolina has some young Dmen that most certainly would interest the Leafs as an upgrade, but all experienced GMs are going to try and exploit Dubas inexperience and get him to overpay in trades, which will make deals harder to make, basically forcing Dubas into a more conservative approach because the asking prices too high and him unwilling to overspend in fear of making mistakes.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the dream of signing Tavares does not come true, then they may as well preach patience because they are not going to advance farther next year. I don't see how they can replace our UFAs and fix the defense with the assets we have.

There will be continued development from the big three. A healthy Matthews alone could be good enough for an extra 20-30 more points alone next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad