TSN Radio Bob McKenzie: Everyone on Carolina except Sebastian Aho is available

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Considering that the Hurricanes are one of the best advanced stats teams in the league, and with our 32 year old recently crowned GM Kyle Dubas being a huge analytics guy, there has to be a lot of players on that team he will look at this offseason, mainly Brett Pesce, Justin Faulk, and Jeff Skinner.

Pesce is a 6'3 RH RD that would fit very well here, he's a big need right now and is the same age group as most of our core. Justin Faulk (another RH RD) and Jeff Skinner it seems like people like to connect them to the Leafs whenever there's rumours or when someone makes a proposal. They both had off years, so maybe a change of scenery would work wonders.

You'd have to think players like Kadri (especially if we luck out on the Tavares sweepstakes), Gardiner, Hyman, Brown, or Leivo would have to go the other way if we were to acquire one or more of those 3.

edit: source 14:25 in

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
They got some nice defenders I would love on our defence.... Dubas make it so!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You'd have to think players like Kadri (especially if we luck out on the Tavares sweepstakes), Gardiner, Hyman, Brown, or Leivo would have to go the other way if we were to acquire one or more of those 3.

We got Sparks who just won the AHL's version of the Veznia, Pretty sure they need goaltending.... some people think you build from the goal out.... Maybe there is a fit there.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
We got Sparks who just won the AHL's version of the Veznia, Pretty sure they need goaltending.... some people think you build from the goal out.... Maybe there is a fit there.
If I was the Leafs I'd rather sweeten the deal to move Pickard instead. Sparks could be taking over backup duties in camp and has a legitimate shot of being a starting goalie one day.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Considering that the Hurricanes are one of the best advanced stats teams in the league, and with our 32 year old recently crowned GM Kyle Dubas being a huge analytics guy, there has to be a lot of players on that team he will look at this offseason, mainly Brett Pesce, Justin Faulk, and Jeff Skinner.

Pesce is a 6'3 RH RD that would fit very well here, he's a big need right now and is the same age group as most of our core. Justin Faulk (another RH RD) and Jeff Skinner it seems like people like to connect them to the Leafs whenever there's rumours or when someone makes a proposal. They both had off years, so maybe a change of scenery would work wonders.

I don't see why Carolina would want Gardiner to trade a D like Pesce and I doubt the other names are going to cut it. Impact for impact. Kadri or Nylander for sure if we are talking about a core RHD.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Goalies don't have much value. Especially non NHL goalies. No chance is Sparks even close to getting a good defenseman

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Pesce is signed long-term, only 23 years old, and is a #2-3 defensively strong RHD. They'd want a very good piece going back the other way.

Would probably take Kadri, a good piece signed long-term as well that fits their team needs. They're not moving Pesce for Brown, Kapanen, Johnsson, Gardiner, etc as the main piece going back, and we obviously don't want to move Nylander or Marner.

Problem is we lack the centre depth at the moment to move a guy like Kadri.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Slavin and Pesce are both ideal targets.

Faulk and Hanifin not so much.
Is Slavin really a fit though with Rielly on the #1 pair and Dermott being groomed to be on the #2 pair? I'm really not a fan of D playing on their opposite handed sides unless its for the PP. It's why I can't stand Hainsey on the right side with Rielly. What's wrong with Faulk? He can't be as mentally fragile as Gardiner.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Is Slavin really a fit though with Rielly on the #1 pair and Dermott being groomed to be on the #2 pair? I'm really not a fan of D playing on their opposite handed sides unless its for the PP. It's why I can't stand Hainsey on the right side with Rielly. What's wrong with Faulk? He can't be as mentally fragile as Gardiner.
Faulk is probably worse. You should see his postgame interview when the team choked against Boston

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
William Nylander for Brett Pesce would be the starting point here.

Indeed it would be. I'd sooner try for Carlson as a UFA, and keep Nylander... but as a secondary plan, it's not terrible... if we can somehow sign a good forward/C in UFA. Maybe even a C and F upgrade would be required if we traded Nylander. It's certainly not my first choice to trade Nylander, but agree on the cost.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Faulk is just as bad if not worse then Gardiner. Only up side is that he shoots right handed.

If we could somehow get Pesce out of Carolina in a deal that would also net us Staal I would attempt to work it out.

How about:

Pesce
Staal

for

Kapanen
Neilsen
Sparks
1st '18
3rd '19

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

A 20 point defenseman for a 61 point forward who is almost 2 years younger. (EDIT: Not 3 years.)

I like him and he's got qualities that we could use but that is a losing trade right from the start. Just awful. I'd rather re-sign Polak than do that.

I'm not sure what the Hurricanes would want and it's tough to gauge the value to be honest, but the Leafs 100% will not trade Nylander for a Pesce.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Faulk is just as bad if not worse then Gardiner. Only up side is that he shoots right handed.

If we could somehow get Pesce out of Carolina in a deal that would also net us Staal I would attempt to work it out.

How about:

Pesce
Staal

for

Kapanen
Neilsen
Sparks
1st '18
3rd '19

That's not a good deal for them. They'd want a more proven piece going back if they're moving Pesce.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nylander for Pesce would be a bad, bad idea.

I like a lot of these names, but they are not hidden gems anymore. They're highly acclaimed and the prices will be accordingly.
Yeah I have to agree. I'm not completely against moving Nylander for a #1 guy, but I don't think Pesce is it. he doesn't bring much offense, I don't think his upside is as high as Nylander's, and I'm always wary about acquiring a player who isn't the best on their line/pairing

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah I have to agree. I'm not completely against moving Nylander for a #1 guy, but I don't think Pesce is it. he doesn't bring much offense, I don't think his upside is as high as Nylander's, and I'm always wary about acquiring a player who isn't the best on their line/pairing

Noting, Nylander isn't the best player on his line......

Personally, I think Kadri the C, is more valuable to this franchise at the current time than Nylander the winger.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

I like a lot of these names, but they are not hidden gems anymore. They're highly acclaimed and the prices will be accordingly.

He said starting point, not a 1 for 1 deal.

Reactions: Guy Smiley

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Yep, I think the only way to keep our core intact and upgrade the D as much as we need to is go spend a lot in FA or to try and find that diamond in the rough. Easier said than done though.

If Dubas can somehow get Pesce, his cap hit is a thing of beauty for our cap situation. 4m till 2023-24.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
At the very least.
Carolina D corp:
Slavin...Pesce
Hanifin...Faulk
Fleury...TVR
Bean...McKeown...Dahlbeck

Gardiner is not required. I would imagine forward help (scoring is of prime concern). With the 2nd overall this year, there are 2 wingers that Carolina can draft. So the question becomes, is it center they are looking for? Nylander is unproven as a long term C. Kadri is the one who fits the bill in that case.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Noting, Nylander isn't the best player on his line......

Personally, I think Kadri the C, is more valuable to this franchise at the current time than Nylander the winger.
yeah I know, but Leafs don't have to give up a big piece to get Nylander so it doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canes didn't like that though

Nylander is arguably as good as Kadri now, albeit slightly less valuable in the very short term. Going forward I don't think it's particularly close though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad