Bob Mackenzie on Robbie Schremp/Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:
So far, Schremp has 6 goals and 9 assists on the powerplay. 15 PP points in 18 games, which is more than half of his points. That is a disproportionate # of PP points compared to most league leaders. So he has 7 goals and 7 assists for 14 points in 18 games at even strength.

As an example on his team, David Bolland only has 3 powerplay goals and is actually outscoring Schremp at even strength (11 goals total, 8 goals at ES).

All that being said, Schremp is very good on the powerplay and deserves to be on their top unit. The question is really how effective is he compared to his peers at even strength and if you take the PP time away (which may happen on team US). I really haven't seen enough of him to comment one way or another.

Good points, although it's important to mention that London is the best and deepest team in the NHL, so not everyone is going to get glowing even strength stats. From what I understand, since Schremp has been playing with Perry, his even strength numbers have gone up, which points to a mutually benefical pairing on the ice.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
The US would be smart to pick him up just to play 8 minutes a game on the PP, and filter in elsewhere if you need to get guys going offensively.

I was not a Scremp fan at all... A lot of Oiler fans wanted him at #14, and I was making it as vocal as possible that I didn't want them to pick him there. At 25 is was more palatable, mostly because it was a weak draft.

That being said, some of you are way off about him.

1). He doesn't have a problem with physical play. I don't know where this rumour started, but I have never seen Schremp not make a play because he is avoiding contact. He'll throw a hit if it is there, and he'll take one to finish the play.

2). His attitude problems. I am as guilty as everyone about this, but it's funny... it's not any of his coaches or team mates who seem to think he has an attitude problem... not even his ex-team mates/coaches. Yes he skipped out on the US development team, but does anyone actually know the full story? I don't... in one version, he calls them up while he is waiting for a trade and asks them if he can join them while he waits to be dealt from the Dogs... the other version has him commiting to the team and leaving one night after he gets traded to London without telling anyone... which is the truth?

3). His defensive play. It's not great. That being said, he's working at it. He doesn't have the best positioning, or best defensive awareness, but he is putting in effort and hustling. Hunter trusts him a lot more this year than last year, and he is proving that trust wasn't in vain. The London Knights are off to a great start, and Schremp is a huge part of that.

The USA should grab him, and even if all they do is throw him on the point for the power play, they are a more dangerous team.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
dawgbone said:
The US would be smart to pick him up just to play 8 minutes a game on the PP, and filter in elsewhere if you need to get guys going offensively.

I was not a Scremp fan at all... A lot of Oiler fans wanted him at #14, and I was making it as vocal as possible that I didn't want them to pick him there. At 25 is was more palatable, mostly because it was a weak draft.

That being said, some of you are way off about him.

1). He doesn't have a problem with physical play. I don't know where this rumour started, but I have never seen Schremp not make a play because he is avoiding contact. He'll throw a hit if it is there, and he'll take one to finish the play.

2). His attitude problems. I am as guilty as everyone about this, but it's funny... it's not any of his coaches or team mates who seem to think he has an attitude problem... not even his ex-team mates/coaches. Yes he skipped out on the US development team, but does anyone actually know the full story? I don't... in one version, he calls them up while he is waiting for a trade and asks them if he can join them while he waits to be dealt from the Dogs... the other version has him commiting to the team and leaving one night after he gets traded to London without telling anyone... which is the truth?

3). His defensive play. It's not great. That being said, he's working at it. He doesn't have the best positioning, or best defensive awareness, but he is putting in effort and hustling. Hunter trusts him a lot more this year than last year, and he is proving that trust wasn't in vain. The London Knights are off to a great start, and Schremp is a huge part of that.

The USA should grab him, and even if all they do is throw him on the point for the power play, they are a more dangerous team.

DIDO DIDO DIDO !!!!!!!
I've been a season ticket holder for the knights the past year and this kid is simply unreal offensively. He would have many more points if he wasn't on the 2nd line and playing on the top line (due to Corey Perry and D. Hunter being older and more experienced)

He isn't the best defensive forward but has improved a lot this year as i've watch his defensive game very closely this year. Again the attitude problem is nonsense. Everyone that has ever played w/ him has gotten along w/ him and never complained.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
trahans99 said:
DIDO DIDO DIDO !!!!!!!
I've been a season ticket holder for the knights the past year and this kid is simply unreal offensively. He would have many more points if he wasn't on the 2nd line and playing on the top line (due to Corey Perry and D. Hunter being older and more experienced)

He isn't the best defensive forward but has improved a lot this year as i've watch his defensive game very closely this year. Again the attitude problem is nonsense. Everyone that has ever played w/ him has gotten along w/ him and never complained.

I think Dale Hunter's comments on Schremp this season indicate how far he's come, even from last season. He's got his coach's confidence, that's for sure.

Last edited:

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
trahans99 said:
DIDO DIDO DIDO !!!!!!!

True, when he played with O'sulliven on the 1rst line his rookie year he had great point production. Do you think he will start playing with Perry more due to their point increase together.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
pucks1 said:
True, when he played with O'sulliven on the 1rst line his rookie year he had great point production. Do you think he will start playing with Perry more due to their point increase together.

He should be in the 3rd period when the Knights trail or need a goal... I was at the guelph game last friday when they were down 2-1 mid 3rd period when hunter put perry and schremp on same line for the first time (other than PP) and they totally took over the game and schremp scored a nice game tying wrap around goal and then knights won in OT ....Perry assisted on both goals :handclap:

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
When I said he wasn't a "Good Guy" I was refering to another's (posted) characterization of him. My impression is that he has a sociopathic personality type. This includes, personal charm, selfishness, impulsiveness, lack of guilt or anxiety, and cruelty. But, that's only my clinical opinion.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
D.Legwand said:
not better then schremp. name me one college, usndt, or us junior leage player eligible player that has more skill then Robbie? if kessel or blake wheeler make the team over schremp, it will be a total sham job. last year usa hockey acted like he didn't even exist, and yes he should have been on the team last year as a 17 year old. because he shunned the usndt, went and played major junior, he gets treated like this. makes sense to me.
:madfire:

then I guess all of those glowing scouts reports about Kessel and Wheeler are simply untrue right?

I seriously doubt that USA Hockey "acted like he didn't even exist" (I'll use your words). From what I understand, they did take a look at him. If they didn't he wouldn't have even been considered in the first place. The fact that he plays in major junior rather than the NTDP is likely NOT one of the reasons why he was snubbed from the team (I don't recall James Wisnewski getting any kind of flack, and he plays in the major junior AND made the team last year). As I've already stated, if the people who are selecting these players feel that Schremp should be on the team, he will be on the team. Period.

I agree with Rabid Ranger about Schremp's talent not being the issue here. There's no doubt that Schremp has some pretty darn good skills. The issue here (as several people have pointed out) is his attitude and how much (if at all) could it be detrimental to the team. This isn't about individual talent, it's about the team. Can he be a team player and can he exhibit that for the coaches and do so for the duration of the tournament? That's what it's all about IMO.

Also, for those who don't know thing one about Scott Sandelin. He's been around a lot and he's one of the most respected coaches currently in the NCAA. He and his coaching staff will take long, hard looks at all of the players who have a shot at making the team. They're not likely going to pass on anyone, regardless of WHERE they play, if they feel he can bring a lot to the team and deserve a spot.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
FREE DENTAL CARE said:
When I said he wasn't a "Good Guy" I was refering to another's (posted) characterization of him. My impression is that he has a sociopathic personality type. This includes, personal charm, selfishness, impulsiveness, lack of guilt or anxiety, and cruelty. But, that's only my clinical opinion.

Ok, that was pretty funny.

Does anybody in fact know whether Mr. Schremp has a pet, and if so, how he treats it?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
As an aside, I would probably take Kessel ahead of Schremp. He may be a little earlier in his development, but is just as skilled. Plus, Kessel will probably play a few more U-20 tourneys and the experience will do him good. That, and the fact Kessel has absolutely dominated at the International stage thus far.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
FREE DENTAL CARE said:

So not only are you offering free dental care, but free psychological profiling as well? Where do I sign up?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Oilers Chick said:
Will Kessel's injury impact his chance of making the team? Also, is he still sidelined?

He had exploratory surgery on his wrist and no ligament damage was found. He should be back with the U18 team in 1-3 weeks. That will give USA Hockey the time to see if his play has been affected before they name the final roster.

penkil2

Dec 5, 2003
MI
Visit site
trahans99 said:
I just saw Bob Mackenzie on TSN at the break of the Canada Cup game between Can/Fin in 1981 and he was talking about the US and Canadian Jr teams.

He said that Robbie Schremp should make Team USA but is not likely to due to the other centres on the team..........

I already started a post after Team USA named 12 to there roster, so my question is whats your thought on his comments? The last thread got out of hand into a Can/Usa debate, so i'm starting a new one based on his comments......

IMO if Schremp is left off this team it will be highway robbery on him..... he is barnone the best or 2nd best player in the USA only behind O'Sullivan if that.

Robbie had the same opportunity at the evaluation camp in August as the players already named to the team. There were 15 staff members consisting of the coach etc. evaluating the players. Robbie did not have a good showing at the camp. Look up the stats from the camp to verify this fact. That being said, that doesn't mean he won't get on the team.

Reilly311

I hope he doesn't make it so when the US wins the gold medal again all these losers will shut up about who should be picked to play.

Whitenoise

Sep 27, 2003
Visit site
FREE DENTAL CARE said:
:lol

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
Reilly311 said:
I hope he doesn't make it so when the US wins the gold medal again all these losers will shut up about who should be picked to play.
Well this is a post people are supposed to voice their opinion, so why would you tell people to shut up. And its funny that you wish a talented prospect wont make the team because of a few posts. I bet if Rob was on ur team you would be happy as a pig in Sh*t.

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
penkil2 said:
Robbie had the same opportunity at the evaluation camp in August as the players already named to the team. There were 15 staff members consisting of the coach etc. evaluating the players. Robbie did not have a good showing at the camp. Look up the stats from the camp to verify this fact. That being said, that doesn't mean he won't get on the team.

Patrick O’Sullivan: 4 goals, 1 assist
Blake Wheeler: 3 goals, 1 assist
T.J. Hensick: 3 goals, 1 assist
Chris Bourque: 1 goal, 3 assists
Jacob Dowell: 1 goal, 3 assists
Adam Pineault: 3 goals, 0 assists
Kevin Porter: 2 goals, 1 assist
Dan Fritsche: 1 goal, 2 assists
Robbie Earl: 1 goal, 2 assists
Robbie Schremp: 0 goals, 3 assists
Drew Stafford: 0 goals, 3 assists
Phil Kessel: 2 goals, 0 assists
Matt Auffrey: 2 goals, 0 assists
John Vigilante: 1 goal, 1 assist
Matt Hunwick: 1 goal, 1 assist
Shawn Weller: 1 goal, 1 assist
Brandon Dubinsky: 1 goal, 1 assist
Al Montoya: 0 goals, 2 assists
Matt Nickerson: 0 goals, 2 assists
Josh Hennessy: 1 goal, 0 assists
Bryan Lerg: 1 goal, 0 assists
Nate Davis: 1 goal, 0 assists
Tyler Haskins: 1 goal, 0 assists
Jeff Likens: 1 goal, 0 assists
Ray Macias: 0 goals, 1 assist
Tom Fritsche: 0 goals, 1 assist
Ryan Suter: 0 goals, 1 assist
Nate Hagemo: 0 goals, 1 assist
Paul Stastny: 0 goals, 1 assist
Mike Brown: 0 goals, 1 assist
Ryan Callahan: 0 goals, 1 assist
A.J. Thelan: 0 goals, 1 assist
Chris Zarb
Casey Borer
Mike Brennan
Jack Johnson
Matt Lashoff
Grant Lewis
Jimmy Sharrow

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
Joe d said:
Patrick O’Sullivan: 4 goals, 1 assist
Blake Wheeler: 3 goals, 1 assist
T.J. Hensick: 3 goals, 1 assist
Chris Bourque: 1 goal, 3 assists
Jacob Dowell: 1 goal, 3 assists
Adam Pineault: 3 goals, 0 assists
Kevin Porter: 2 goals, 1 assist
Dan Fritsche: 1 goal, 2 assists
Robbie Earl: 1 goal, 2 assists
Robbie Schremp: 0 goals, 3 assists
Drew Stafford: 0 goals, 3 assists
Phil Kessel: 2 goals, 0 assists
Matt Auffrey: 2 goals, 0 assists
John Vigilante: 1 goal, 1 assist
Matt Hunwick: 1 goal, 1 assist
Shawn Weller: 1 goal, 1 assist
Brandon Dubinsky: 1 goal, 1 assist
Al Montoya: 0 goals, 2 assists
Matt Nickerson: 0 goals, 2 assists
Josh Hennessy: 1 goal, 0 assists
Bryan Lerg: 1 goal, 0 assists
Nate Davis: 1 goal, 0 assists
Tyler Haskins: 1 goal, 0 assists
Jeff Likens: 1 goal, 0 assists
Ray Macias: 0 goals, 1 assist
Tom Fritsche: 0 goals, 1 assist
Ryan Suter: 0 goals, 1 assist
Nate Hagemo: 0 goals, 1 assist
Paul Stastny: 0 goals, 1 assist
Mike Brown: 0 goals, 1 assist
Ryan Callahan: 0 goals, 1 assist
A.J. Thelan: 0 goals, 1 assist
Chris Zarb
Casey Borer
Mike Brennan
Jack Johnson
Matt Lashoff
Grant Lewis
Jimmy Sharrow
3 points aint bad in my book. :dunno:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Yeah, but there is a little more to hockey than points I hear.

Schremp didn't have a great camp. There's no denying that. He put up points, but was bit listless. Not unheard of, but oh well. We'll see if it costs him.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
Sammy said:
Yeah, but there is a little more to hockey than points I hear.
Like being a team player
London Knights 19 18 0 1 0 89 36 8 W 9-0-1 37 0.974 437 :dunno:

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/Sports/2004/11/13/712651.html

"Every time we talk to someone they ask about the records, but it's not about the records here, it's about the season," said Schremp, who has 15 points, including seven goals, in his last six games.

"Our goal is to come out and win and to leave everything on the ice," Schremp said."

It doesn't look to me like Schremp has a lot of baggage by what he says and what his coach says this year. I think all those Schremp doubters should watch him play and then judge. I've seen him over 50 times and has improved dramatically defensively this year and has also stepped up his offensive play. Definately has one of the best shots in CHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad