Bob Mackenzie on Robbie Schremp/Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I just saw Bob Mackenzie on TSN at the break of the Canada Cup game between Can/Fin in 1981 and he was talking about the US and Canadian Jr teams.

He said that Robbie Schremp should make Team USA but is not likely to due to the other centres on the team..........

I already started a post after Team USA named 12 to there roster, so my question is whats your thought on his comments? The last thread got out of hand into a Can/Usa debate, so i'm starting a new one based on his comments......

IMO if Schremp is left off this team it will be highway robbery on him..... he is barnone the best or 2nd best player in the USA only behind O'Sullivan if that.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Put him on the wing. :dunno: Team Canada always has too many centers. I hope USA leaves him off (gocanada).

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
There is absolutely no reason to leave Robbie Schremp off of this team. They took Adam Pineault in the first 12, and anyone who reads my posts knows I'm a huge mark for Pineault, and I readily accept that Pineault is not the player that Schremp is. This is a big mistake for Team USA if they do not have Schremp.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
Matt MacInnis said:
There is absolutely no reason to leave Robbie Schremp off of this team. They took Adam Pineault in the first 12, and anyone who reads my posts knows I'm a huge mark for Pineault, and I readily accept that Pineault is not the player that Schremp is. This is a big mistake for Team USA if they do not have Schremp.
I don't think that MacKenzie is on the mark with his comments. Schremp's puck skills are necessary to Team USA having any success in the tourney. There will be no way to justify his absence if it were to go down.

He'll be there.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Kris Baker said:
I don't think that MacKenzie is on the mark with his comments. Schremp's puck skills are necessary to Team USA having any success in the tourney. There will be no way to justify his absence if it were to go down.

He'll be there.

Even though i'm Canadian, I live in London and watch the Knights religiously, I still hope for his sake that Schremp is on Team USA. He derserves it ....but i'd have to chuckle at the USA if they were idiotic enough to leave him off the final roster.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
trahans99 said:
he is barnone the best or 2nd best player in the USA only behind O'Sullivan if that.

...and what do you basis this on? Have you actually SEEN the other eligible players yourself that play in the NCAA, USNTDP or any of the various American junior/prep leagues?

I'm not saying nor implying that Schremp won't/doesn't have a chance to make the team, but there are many other very good Americans who also have a shot at making the team.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Can someone fill me on why he wouldn't be on the roster?? He wasn't on last year's team, right?

Seems very odd to me.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Schremp should have thought of this before he used the NTDP as leverage to get out of Mississauga last year.

They won without him last year maybe they feel they can this year as well.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Rob is a great guy and he's as offensively gifted as they come - but there's still quite a few question marks about his defensive ability and his physical play.

There's also issues of where to put him. He won't be on the top line, and that might be a problem.

I don't think McKenzie knows anything for certain either. It's speculation on his part, at this point, that Schremp won't be on Team USA. I'm not saying he's wrong but, I think the door is still open.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
I'm starting to think it's gonna come to down Kessel or Schremp. They could be waiting to see if Kessel will be ready by the time he comes back, and make a decision between the two then.

They both play a very similar game and fill the same role, which is why I've come to think this.

But I'm just thinking out loud. Trying to put myself in USA Hockey's position and wonder why in the hell they didn't name him with the first group.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If it does happen I'll be much happier with Canada's chances, and feel bad for Schremp, who I think has done everything expected of him in order to make the team this year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Postman said:
I'm starting to think it's gonna come to down Kessel or Schremp. They could be waiting to see if Kessel will be ready by the time he comes back, and make a decision between the two then.

They both play a very similar game and fill the same role, which is why I've come to think this.

But I'm just thinking out loud. Trying to put myself in USA Hockey's position and wonder why in the hell they didn't name him with the first group.

I suggested that in an earlier post in another thread. IMO, if Kessel wasn't injured he would have been named with the first group. Now, it might come down to him or Schremp, although I think there is room for both on the team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bicycle Repairman said:
Maybe it's just because the people in charge *gasp* don't think Schremp is good enough?

Yeah, I mean what do career hockey guys that have an intimate knowledge of the game know? It's not like the U.S. hasn't been progressively getting better over the years, has a better pool of players to choose from, or had any success last year right? :shakehead

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
trahans99 said:
Even though i'm Canadian, I live in London and watch the Knights religiously, I still hope for his sake that Schremp is on Team USA. He derserves it ....but i'd have to chuckle at the USA if they were idiotic enough to leave him off the final roster.

Oh, you mean the same "idiots" who left him off the roster last year? Yeah, those clowns don't know what they're doing, do they?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
trahans99 said:
I just saw Bob Mackenzie on TSN at the break of the Canada Cup game between Can/Fin in 1981 and he was talking about the US and Canadian Jr teams.

He said that Robbie Schremp should make Team USA but is not likely to due to the other centres on the team..........

I already started a post after Team USA named 12 to there roster, so my question is whats your thought on his comments? The last thread got out of hand into a Can/Usa debate, so i'm starting a new one based on his comments......

IMO if Schremp is left off this team it will be highway robbery on him..... he is barnone the best or 2nd best player in the USA only behind O'Sullivan if that.

The bottomline is the U.S. has many offensively gifted players to choose from, and sometimes good, even great players are left on the outside looking in. It's not necessarily a slight to him.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
Oh, you mean the same "idiots" who left him off the roster last year? Yeah, those clowns don't know what they're doing, do they?
Are they the same idiots who gave the Americans such success over the last 10 or so years?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
I suggested that in an earlier post in another thread.
Great, now we're starting to think like them.

We need help, Rabid.

Rabid Ranger said:
IMO, if Kessel wasn't injured he would have been named with the first group. Now, it might come down to him or Schremp, although I think there is room for both on the team.
As do I. And I think it'll be a shame if either or both are not named. You're suppose to put your best talent out there, and they are 2 of the top 5 forwards available, IMO.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Are they the same idiots who gave the Americans such success over the last 10 or so years?

Are you saying the U.S. program hasn't progressively gotten better over the past decade?

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
Are you saying the U.S. program hasn't progressively gotten better over the past decade?
No, of course it has. But just because you have success in 1 year doesnt mean your suddenly a genius, no different than if you brutal before doesnt mean that you were an idiot.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Postman said:
Great, now we're starting to think like them.

We need help, Rabid.

As do I. And I think it'll be a shame if either or both are not named. You're suppose to put your best talent out there, and they are 2 of the top 5 forwards available, IMO.

It's a folie au deux. A madness shared by two..... As USA Hockey fans we have to remain diligent in the face of the constant Canadian onslaught.....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
No, of course it has. But just because you have success in 1 year doesnt mean your suddenly a genius, no different than if you brutal before doesnt mean that you were an idiot.

That's a fair comment. There's so much turnover in these kinds of tournaments (usually), that it's hard to look like a genius year in and year out.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
That's a fair comment. There's so much turnover in these kinds of tournaments (usually), that it's hard to look like a genius year in and year out.
True enough. Theres really only 1 smart guy/managemment team every year, all the rest are fools. Amazingly enough, you can go from fool to genius all in the course of 1 year, & vice versa.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Postman said:

Touche. I always believed you put the best team out there. Whether or not Team USA views Schremp as a team player has yet to be seen. I'm still not sold on the idea that they like his work ethic defensively/physically, not to mention potential attitude issues. They may bite the bullet on what he could bring, simply because they are afraid of what else he might pack in his bags along with him. This is purely speculation on my part, so no knock on Schremp and his supposed God-like status here at HF :D :innocent: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad