TSN: Bob Hartley "high on Ferland"

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Monahan will get his 9 games and then head down to Juniors.

Mcgrattan will be in the box most nights.

Highly doubt that. With Feaster's comments about not playing 100% every game, McGrattan will be in almost every game IMO. The guys gives it his all.

pepchew

Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
Actually, he was right the first time. An is used when followed by a vowel. N is not a vowel.

Not quite. An is used when followed by a vowel sound. In most cases spelling is a good indicator, but not in this case. See the examples below:

An NHL player
A National Hockey League player

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Plus the fact someone like sestito won't do something stupid if grats is in the lineup

I think we will see GlenX and Gio really step up the physical role this year to protect the younger players. I think even if Grats is in the lineup and someone runs a younger player than one of or both will try to get even. I also think Bouma is really going to play physical this year after missing all last year and wanting to show the coaches that he deserves his role on this team going forward.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
At any rate, McKenzie appears to have a very good sense of what Hartley is thinking. McKenzie spoke about Galiardi being tried at center before anyone else did. I take this story very seriously.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Most likely not until the deadline it would make so sense to keep him.

Give him the nine game look and if he is not ready then you send him back to Ottawa.

With his extended stay in Calgary and the time he spends at the world juniors he likely only plays around 10-15 games in Ottawa before he is traded. That is hardly cause for concern.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Give him the nine game look and if he is not ready then you send him back to Ottawa.

With his extended stay in Calgary and the time he spends at the world juniors he likely only plays around 10-15 games in Ottawa before he is traded. That is hardly cause for concern.

Try but the more I see him play the more I think he is ready for the NHL especially if gets to play with some offensive players.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

you can also have him as a healthy scratch a couple times to prolong his time in Calgary. Practicing with the big club will most likely be more beneficial than playing for the 67s

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Its not games played its by the 9 game mark, no?

No, 9 games played. And Feaster even mentioned just the time being around the team, traveling, etc. it's big.

But yea, I am in nooooo rush to send a guy down at the beginning

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Try but the more I see him play the more I think he is ready for the NHL especially if gets to play with some offensive players.

And this. Not outta place at all tonight.

I think go for it unless you KNOW he plays for a contender when demoted. 4 years is lots. And he's got size.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Its not games played its by the 9 game mark, no?
Nope 9 games. LA did this with Schenn. They sat him, had him practice with the team, even sent him to the AHL on a "conditioning stint" then eventually sent him back down

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I sent Feaster a box of donuts, specially made ones in the shape of letters.

They contain:

A E N T S P

Funny, I sent him a Nike shirt with the swoosh. It had a slogan on it:

Just Do It

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Prospects can be ruined by throwing them in the NHL before they are ready. Prospects don't get ruined by allowing them to develop along slowly.

There will be plenty of spots throughout the year with injuries and trades. Few spots are going to be open on day one, but there will be many open throughout the season.

Yes they do. If they're not learning anything new or get pigeon-holed into a system and role, they certainly aren't developing their game. Moreover, a player adjusts their body and game to the pace of their league. When getting sheltered in the NHL, a player is reminded everyday what further requirements are needed to play at a high level in the NHL. When they only get reminded once a year at training camp, the influence is only short term.

Opportunity plays a role in development. If you know there's no chance a team will allow you to prove yourself and learn from your mistakes, then this reduces motivation. Opting to play proven NHLers is what hurt the Flames in years past. Guys like St.Louis, Savard, Lombardi, etc. had better years when given a chance on other teams.

What's Monahan going to learn playing in a league he's already dominated when he needs to be challenged at a higher level so he can feel the pressure everyday to improve his game. I'm not talking about a top 6 role, I'm talking about sheltered offensive starts, opportunity to make mistakes, and chances on special teams. Guys like Stajan, Cammy, Stempniak and Jones aren't going to hold down the top 6 forever. They're here now so Monahan and other young guys aren't thrown to the wolves.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
if monahan was going to the london knights as their #1 C i would feel good about sending him back to the OHL. but playing on a garbage team like ottawa when he has shown he can stick with these guys so far doesn't seem right to me. give him a chance to work his defensive game and on faceoffs against grown men. that will put him in a better position to succeed in a bigger role next year imo.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
if monahan was going to the london knights as their #1 C i would feel good about sending him back to the OHL. but playing on a garbage team like ottawa when he has shown he can stick with these guys so far doesn't seem right to me. give him a chance to work his defensive game and on faceoffs against grown men. that will put him in a better position to succeed in a bigger role next year imo.

I agree and his defensive game is NHL level but his offensive game needs work and I think playing with some offensive guys here in Hartley's system will do a lot for him.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I agree and his defensive game is NHL level but his offensive game needs work and I think playing with some offensive guys here in Hartley's system will do a lot for him.

This is a good point. Monahan will also be playing with some other rookies to grow with. The great thing about the Flames is the margin of talent differences. Because there's no guaranteed 75+ point guy on the Flames, any guy on the 4th line will have an opportunity to get big minutes the second any top 6 guy goes on a slump. The expectations aren't high from the media for any given person to produce so it should be a good learning opportunity.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Okay, quick question. Why aren't we allowed to send Monahan to the AHL? Why does it have to be juniors or the NHL? I realise this is probably a dumb question but I honestly don't know the answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad