TSN: Bob Hartley "high on Ferland"

May 27, 2012
Earth

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Yes, personally I think he could compete for a spot. Because honestly as much as I like Jackman, I think that Ferland is a higher skilled version of him.

This is going to be one of the most exciting camps in the last decade IMO, so much is up in the air and so many spots are wide open and few are "locks" to make the team, especially at forward and tender. D is pretty much set though.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What's not to like? He fights, hits, scores, passes, keeps his feet moving and sees the ice.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He might be competing, but I'd personally rather see him in Abbotsford playing top 6 (or at least top 9) minutes than on the 4th line in the NHL, getting <10 min/game. I know he's made great strides since last season, but I find it unlikely that Ferland would have, in the space of a few months, gone from being relegated to the CHL from the AHL and ECHL, to a legitimate NHLer. If any of the older prospects needs a year of seasoning in the AHL, it is likely this guy. I'm a huge fan, but let's be reality.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If the Flames are out of it early we could see some guys moved and guys bumped up in ice time. There's no guarantee someone will be on the 4th line very long

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
He might be competing, but I'd personally rather see him in Abbotsford playing top 6 (or at least top 9) minutes than on the 4th line in the NHL, getting <10 min/game. I know he's made great strides since last season, but I find it unlikely that Ferland would have, in the space of a few months, gone from being relegated to the CHL from the AHL and ECHL, to a legitimate NHLer. If any of the older prospects needs a year of seasoning in the AHL, it is likely this guy. I'm a huge fan, but let's be reality.

Agreed. I think he might fill the Aliu hole for this season.

TylerSVT*

He could get a few games up like Brodie did in 2010 and then send him down.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not sure, he's lost around 25lbs from last year. He's quicker, stronger, and competes harder than almost any prospect we have. He's also got fairly nice hands and has a good shot, his speed is much better than last year. I think he's cracked the door open, for him to make the team he will have to blow it right off, but I'm so high on Ferland because I love his game. He does remind quite a bit of a Chris Simon.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If he earns it in camp then give it to him. I like the idea of earning what you get. If he has a good camp start him in the NHL and give him the opportunity to show he deserves to stay there. If he does, then that's a real positive since his career trajectory was beginning to look a lot like Dan Ryder or Ryan Howse last year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's the most physically ready of any of our forward prospects with his size, I would not be surprised to see him make the team if he has a good camp. I also have Granlund ahead of Knight to earn a spot.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think what he needs is confidence and opportunity. If he's playing well and doing the things he does than he NEEDS to be rewarded. He certainly has the tools.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Giordano was another guy close to being a bust and then out of the blue he became a solid guy, who's now an impact defensemen and captain candidate in the NHL. Ferland had a bad season, sure, but what's then was then, we're looking at right now.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Help me with somthing as far as actual roster spots open for the kids.

GlenX - Stajan - Stempniak
Hudler - Backlund - Cammy
Galiardi - ? - Jones
Jackman -? - McGrattan

That leaves roughly 4 spots open for 2 players and 2 press box .

Baertschi, Bouma, Horak Ferland, Knight and Granlund
I think have the best chances of cracking a spot.

Defense:
Gio - Wideman
Brodie - O'Brian
Butler - Russel
Smith
Ramage, Breen, Cundari and Wotherspoon could also make that lineup.

That leaves me to think there could be buyouts, trades or waivers coming for some of the forwards and even Dmen if we want an infusion of youth.

Aug 3, 2010
I believe Jackman's and Jones' spots are probable candidates for rookie takeovers.

I feel like Granlund, Baertschi, Knight and Reinhart are the most likely players to earn their spots on the big club.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
From what I've seen and team needs, my picks to potentialy take a spot.

Baertschi, Ferland, hanowski, granlund, knight, reinhart, seiloff, wotherspoon. Obviously the potential to make the team varies in this group, but all have a shot to some degree IMO.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I too feel players need to be moved to have a proper youth infusion. I would be fine with Cammy, Jackman, Stempniak, Stajan, Smith, and maybe O'Brien and Butler immediately after training camp if there's opportunities to move them and the price is right.

The problem is that there is still free agents that can help a team in a similar fashion as Stajan or Stempniak. I still see Morrow, Brunner, Letendresse, Boyes, Prospel, Raymond and Gagne as capable top 9 forwards on most clubs. The best time to trade is near the deadline, where the market for top 9 forwards is thin.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
From what I've seen and team needs, my picks to potentialy take a spot.

Baertschi, Ferland, hanowski, granlund, knight, reinhart, seiloff, wotherspoon. Obviously the potential to make the team varies in this group, but all have a shot to some degree IMO.

But do you really think players like Ferland, Sieloff, and Spoon are NHL ready? I'd think that a full season (at the very least) with the Heat would be a lot better for them in the long run. Anyways, If I were to take a guess at who's good enough to compete for a spot on the Flames my picks would Baertschi, Horak, Reinhart, and then Knight or Granlund.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Wotherspoon might be ready. Him and Roy impressed me the most at the prospects tourney, but we'll know more come Saturday and onward.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
one of monahan/knight/reinhart makes the team thats all im confident with. ferland, granlund, wotherspoon outside shots.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
But do you really think players like Ferland, Sieloff, and Spoon are NHL ready? I'd think that a full season (at the very least) with the Heat would be a lot better for them in the long run. Anyways, If I were to take a guess at who's good enough to compete for a spot on the Flames my picks would Baertschi, Horak, Reinhart, and then Knight or Granlund.

Yeah those guys definitely have slimmer chances, but we could really use a player like Ferland and/or seiloff.

At this time it's anybody's guess, training camp is always a big eye opener. I just wouldn't be surprised if any o the players on my list made the team. I forgot horak. He'll push for a spot, problem is that the flames really can't have another small player on their roster.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I think Sieloff is the closest to NHL because he doesn't have an offensive and I think both Wotherspoon and Ferland need to work on their offensive games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad