Bob Cole appreciation thread (retiring on April 6th)

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Part of Bob Cole's greatness is his almost staccato rhythm and speaking in really short phrases. The most iconic example is probably Mario's legendary goal, which is one of those rare cases where the call elevates what is already an incredible play.*
"Here's Lemieux to centre, there's a penalty coming up."
And as he says that, Lemieux splits the D, and despite being slightly behind the action, he recovers to make an iconic call, amplifying his voice and tempo to convey what is happening.
"Look at Lemieux. Oh my goodness! What a move! What a goal! Lemieux! Oh baby!"

My other favorite is his "DES-JAR-DINS!" call in 1993.

*Sidenote: Is there a recording of Mike Lange calling that goal?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I really didn't like the lack of appreciation for Cole in Saturday's game. Sure guys like MacLean and Cherry were talking about him and they would be the ones who would do this and probably not like him being gone. And sure there was some pregame stuff on Rogers but would it have been too hard to have him come to centre ice prior to the game and have a brief ceremony? Something simple like get a gold watch and a standing ovation and maybe a short highlight clip. The guy was the voice of hockey for decades and the sound of the game is very different without him and it was almost as if he was an afterthought in Montreal last night.

There was what seemed to be a forced montage in between plays in the 2nd period. I was watching, half of the crowd wasn't even standing for him. I mean come on, it is Bob Cole!

I think your heart had to break when you heard him calling the shootout, knowing he was never, ever going to do this again in his life. Just imagine what the guy was going through right then. His whole life was doing this and he is told he can't do it anymore. I noticed a couple of times where you knew full well he had to compose himself to make the calls. That whole comment where he said: "My mother told me that all good things must come to an end.....................and she was rarely wrong." Yeah, its sad, and to be honest I never even noticed him being slower with names or on calls until I read it from other people.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I really didn't like the lack of appreciation for Cole in Saturday's game. Sure guys like MacLean and Cherry were talking about him and they would be the ones who would do this and probably not like him being gone. And sure there was some pregame stuff on Rogers but would it have been too hard to have him come to centre ice prior to the game and have a brief ceremony? Something simple like get a gold watch and a standing ovation and maybe a short highlight clip. The guy was the voice of hockey for decades and the sound of the game is very different without him and it was almost as if he was an afterthought in Montreal last night.

There was what seemed to be a forced montage in between plays in the 2nd period. I was watching, half of the crowd wasn't even standing for him. I mean come on, it is Bob Cole!

I think your heart had to break when you heard him calling the shootout, knowing he was never, ever going to do this again in his life. Just imagine what the guy was going through right then. His whole life was doing this and he is told he can't do it anymore. I noticed a couple of times where you knew full well he had to compose himself to make the calls. That whole comment where he said: "My mother told me that all good things must come to an end.....................and she was rarely wrong." Yeah, its sad, and to be honest I never even noticed him being slower with names or on calls until I read it from other people.

Montreal is not a good barometer simply because of the language. Even anglophones have preferred the French broadcasts dating back to Gallivan's retirement. In 1993 CBMT (CBC Montreal) had problems selling local ads in English and their biggest local sponsor was a local clothing store that featured leather goods.

Montreal English telecasts were always meant for Atlantic Canada.

BTW a month ago Cole was given a nice ovation by Bruins fans when he did his last game there against Ottawa.

Reactions: Fresh Prince

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I just love the way he would call chaotic moments, even in his later years he made them that much more unforgettable. You could hear it in that best of Bob Cole montage. "Diduck...slides it in....SUN-DEEN....another chance....ANOTHER ONE!!" and you can hear the gasps of the crowd in the background. At that time we don't need to know who has the puck where. No need to be perfect and technical. Just play up the randomness and the madness of what's going on in this playoff OT thriller...and he did.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

danderson400

May 21, 2015
The best.

His voice, his delivery, his tempo are all better than perfect if that's possible. What I remember the most is how he alone could get me hyped up at the start of important playoff or international games. You'd have Ron MacLean setting things up, you'd hear the roar of the crowd, maybe some kind of stadium music in the background, but once Bob Cole took over, oh man, you were in business. I am truly sad to see him go. I've given the new guys a chance, thinking maybe I was just too nostalgic, but no, they're not the same.

I was thinking the same thing too. I remember this during the playoffs thousands of times. You'd have Ron MacLean or Dave Hodge or Brian McFarlane or Steve Armitage or Scott Oake setting things up, you'd hear the roar of the crowd, maybe some kind of stadium music(in the old Forum, Boston Garden, Saddledome etc sometimes it was an organ) in the background, but once Bob Cole or Dick Irvin Jr or Don Wittman or Ken Daniels or Chris Cuthbert took over, oh man, you were in business. The ABC/Fox telecasts were so underwhelming, that i watched CBC about 90 percent of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thenameless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad