Bob Cole appreciation thread (retiring on April 6th)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Bob Cole called the Rangers/Leafs game tonight and he has only a handful more games to go. His last game is on April the 6th, a Saturday night game with Toronto vs. Montreal............fitting really.

I don't agree with Rogers letting him go at all and I hope TSN grabs him quicker than you can say "Jiminy Cricket". He's 85, and yes he has lost a step with his memory and such. He made a mistake tonight when he said Marner had scored his 2nd goal of the game, while it was Marleau who scored the first Leaf goal. Marner did score two eventually, but not at that time. Cole corrected himself about a minute later, and I know this has been his major criticism in recent years, but I still say he is the voice of hockey and have no qualms saying he is the greatest play-by-play hockey announcer in the history of the game, Foster Hewitt even taken into account. How many childhoods does he represent in hockey? Lots. How many great moments and great calls? A ton.

Share your thoughts on him leaving, if you agree with it or not. Cole has said he doesn't want to retire, it isn't his choice. I think it was a shame they didn't give him a playoff series last year, or this year.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Rogers may have done its best to destroy Hockey Night in Canada, but I can't say I blame them for letting Bob Cole go. It may be sad, but how many people get to do a job they love with a nation-wide profile until age 85? He will retire a legend, and has had an incredible run.

For most Canadians, he is THE voice of hockey. There does come a point, though, when it's best to walk away.

My favorite Cole anecdote is probably the story about his chain-smoking with Joan Jett on a flight in the mid- to late-80s.

My favorite calls are Edmonton related, of course. When they won the first Cup in '84, he said, "This city will never be the same... never be the same!" And of course the miracle comeback against Dallas in '97: "THEY HAVE TIED THE GAME!" No announcer has ever sounded more passionately excited in a non-annoying way.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He's the best. I'd rather listen to him over the other play by play announcers even though Cole gets more and more wrong with each passing year. It's the voice. And the way his voice conveys different levels of excitement to the viewer. In comparison to him the others are just so blah and monotone.

But yeah.. at 85 its time to shut it down. I'll miss him though.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Never can forget his comment over Ovechkins third goal in Game 2 in R2 vs. the Pens in the 2009 playoffs.

"Oh baby what a shot."

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's been at least a decade and really closer to twenty years since he's actually been good at his job.

It's not just forgetting or getting names wrong either, way way too often he simply has been unaware of what is happening on the ice.

Countless times over the years, I mean deep into the hundreds, he's said "and the play is stopped" and he has no idea why it has stopped.

Did a player go offside? Did the puck go out of the playing area? Is there a penalty? How is it possible that he is sitting there in the arena and is unaware why the whistle has been blown?

How often does the whistle blow for a penalty and he's doesn't know which team is getting the penalty? It's plainly obvious by which team was carrying the puck when the whistle blows but somehow he's unaware.

The problems have been huge and they've been around forever.

Frankly it's ridiculous how long he's been able to do this job despite embarrassing, basic errors over and over again simply because of "nostalgia."

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's been at least a decade and really closer to twenty years since he's actually been good at his job.

It's not just forgetting or getting names wrong either, way way too often he simply has been unaware of what is happening on the ice.

Countless times over the years, I mean deep into the hundreds, he's said "and the play is stopped" and he has no idea why it has stopped.

Did a player go offside? Did the puck go out of the playing area? Is there a penalty? How is it possible that he is sitting there in the arena and is unaware why the whistle has been blown?

How often does the whistle blow for a penalty and he's doesn't know which team is getting the penalty? It's plainly obvious by which team was carrying the puck when the whistle blows but somehow he's unaware.

The problems have been huge and they've been around forever.

Frankly it's ridiculous how long he's been able to do this job despite embarrassing, basic errors over and over again simply because of "nostalgia."
Pretty much disagree with all this.

It's true that Cole hasn't been at his best since the end of the 90s or so, but I'd much rather listen to him getting the odd thing wrong than listen to, say, Jim Hughson over-analyse every minute aspect of the game and put me to sleep.

I don't need the broadcaster to explain everything -- just make it sound exciting!

Reactions: Flamer12

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Pretty much disagree with all this.

It's true that Cole hasn't been at his best since the end of the 90s or so, but I'd much rather listen to him getting the odd thing wrong than listen to, say, Jim Hughson over-analyse every minute aspect of the game and put me to sleep.

I don't need the broadcaster to explain everything -- just make it sound exciting!

Saying he "gets the odd thing wrong" is grossly underestimating the sheer volume or errors by either blatantly getting it wrong, or errors of omission where he simply stops doing the job altogether.

Minar

Aug 27, 2018
Bob cole is the voice of hockey. I love how he simply describes what is happening and doesn't have to analyze everything and criticize every play. He calls the game simply and doesn't have to tell you the history of every player while the play is going on. He also doesn't allow the color guy to interupt the play by play but waits for a whistle for analysis. He also performs like a singer slowly increasing in pitch and fervour as the play gains in intensity. He could make a game seem more exciting than it is. Everything is happening. The voice of hockey.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The greatest of my generation. Our Foster Hewitt.

We are old too young here (I think?) to remember Foster Hewitt in his prime (although he was exceptional when he stepped out of retirement just to call the 1972 series). So in a way Cole is ALL of our "Foster Hewitts".

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I wish him all the best in his retirement, and you have to admire somebody who's still working at age 85.

But personally, I was never a fan of his work. Especially the run-on sentences that led to nothing worthwhile: "The Leafs are behind 1-0....and you can bet that they want to score a goal......because if they score that goal.... then the game will be tied" Really, Bob?

I don't need an announcer to "make the game sound exciting". The game itself should do that. And I don't need an announcer to describe what's happening- because it's TV , not radio. I can see what's happening. Announcing should be not doing anything annoying to detract from the action. Commentary should be about providing useful information to the viewers during the breaks in the action. To me, the Cole-Neale tandem failed on both counts.

And they always sounded a lot more excited about the Leafs than any other team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
And they always sounded a lot more excited about the Leafs than any other team.

Homers? Reckoning? I'll say it if you wont. "Homers". Absolutely. No fan of the Hewitts, father nor Son... and I'm a long time multi generational Torontonian. Sorry, didnt do me/us proud. Foster in particular, nasty little Man. Sell-out. Shit he pulled? You kiddin?... Meanwhile.... Bella Lugosi's dead...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Homers? Reckoning? I'll say it if you wont. "Homers". Absolutely. No fan of the Hewitts, father nor Son... and I'm a long time multi generational Torontonian. Sorry, didnt do me/us proud. Foster in particular, nasty little Man. Sell-out. **** he pulled? You kiddin?... Meanwhile.... Bella Lugosi's dead...

Can you elaborate on that a bit?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here is the question to everyone here, what do you think went behind the scenes at Rogers or even CBC in past years? Do you think Cole got a lot of flack from the executives for his sometimes forgetfulness? Did he get more chances than he deserved? Was he given ultimatums?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Jeez!! Are you sure this is your favorite??!! There isn't another one?! :laugh:

I like that one too, although I can admit a bit of bias being a Leaf fan and can understand that at this time Detroit was in the stages of "Should we or shouldn't we trade Yzerman?" But I love that goal call because it wraps up Cole's emotion in a nutshell.

Something about that play call in general. Leafs/Red Wings, Game 7 overtime, some random fan (probably a girl by the sounds of it) lets out a scream in either disbelief or elation as the goal goes in. All a nice combination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->