Player Discussion Bo Horvat Part TWO

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

So Horvat has apparently threatened that he won't stay with the team long-term unless management 'cleans up their act'.

Is, like, Quinn Hughes the only significant player here over the past couple years that we don't know is unhappy with management incompetence?

Which makes sense given the Hughes family connection to this management group.

Reactions: MS

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Which makes sense given the Hughes family connection to this management group.
Not even sure it’s connection. It’s understanding of the business and that he needed to lock in his salary if he was going to extend in Vancouver (as it’s probably having an adverse effect on his image) and that ultimately could force his way out anyways.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Not even sure it’s connection. It’s understanding of the business and that he needed to lock in his salary if he was going to extend in Vancouver (as it’s probably having an adverse effect on his image) and that ultimately could force his way out anyways.

Oh he definitely could. His family is also quite friendly with Weisbrod so there is probably a bit of an emotional connection there as well.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

So Horvat has apparently threatened that he won't stay with the team long-term unless management 'cleans up their act'.

Is, like, Quinn Hughes the only significant player here over the past couple years that we don't know is unhappy with management incompetence?

Then maybe he shouldn't be demanding for Tanner Pearson to be on his wing??

Or maybe learn how to play a lick of defense?

I know the team is complete ass but Horvat is part of the problem.

Reactions: 12u55

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oh he definitely could. His family is also quite friendly with Weisbrod so there is probably a bit of an emotional connection there as well.

It's more than just 'friendly' - Weisbrod and Jim Hughes grew up together as childhood besties and have hired each other for various jobs over the years including in Orlando. It would be quite shocking if Quinn criticized this management group in any way.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

This was always going to be the outcome. We knew that we would have to start building a new core by trading a soured Horvat/Miller who were not going to be interested in extending due to this being a directionless, losing team.

If we were miraculously able to get a mid-season competent GM, I would retain 50% on both players and start building a market for them immediately

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Then maybe he shouldn't be demanding for Tanner Pearson to be on his wing??

Or maybe learn how to play a lick of defense?

I know the team is complete ass but Horvat is part of the problem.

Obviously Horvat needs to be better.

But the fact that we now have media confirmation that the team captain is upset enough with management that he doesn't feel committed to this team long-term is hugely significant.

Reactions: bh53 and CherryToke

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Totally normal that a bunch of players, including the captain, can't wait to get out of here. Definitely a sign the GM is doing a fantastic job.

That this is being allowed to continue is utter madness.

I mean, obviously. It goes without saying. It goes without saying. It goes without saying. And yet.

Reactions: Vector

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I mean, obviously. It goes without saying. It goes without saying. It goes without saying. And yet.

FAQ is Steve Jobs finding out he has cancer that was in a state with a high likelihood of good outcomes if he would immediately have surgery and instead sticking to his plan of treating the cancer with an extreme vegetarian diet, against the advice of every doctor.

Reactions: hoglanderisbeast

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This has been a batshit crazy situation for 8 years that wouldn't be believable if you pitched it as a movie plot. And nobody ever really seems to notice.

I'll just keep reposting my Mittens the Cat analogy, except by now replace '5 years' with '8 years'.

To me, this has always been like if Aquilini had hired his cat Mittens as GM, and nobody really seemed to bat an eye.

And then Mittens trades half the roster for catnip and fans and media are ‘Be patient, lets see how this turns out!’

And then Mittens allows his scouting staff to pick at top prospect with a high pick after plummeting to the bottom of the standings and fans and media are ‘Well, the whole catnip thing didn’t really turn out but look at that prospect! Man, can Mittens draft!’

And then Mittens spends a year sitting in the sun by a window and doesn’t trade for any catnip and everyone is ‘Hmmm, look how he’s learning and improving!’

And people are trying to rationalize moves made from an irrational situation where THE GM IS A f***ING CAT.

And it’s the same with Benning. It’s been comically evident to anyone with half a brain paying attention that this guy is just a complete moron who has no idea what he’s doing, no ability to evaluate talent, and no ability to implement and execute any sort of a plan. And not just a moron-relative-to-other GMs sort of moron, a real-world moron you wouldn’t trust with a cashout after a late shift at a 7-11. Someone who talks in a manner and with the content you’d expect of a child in grade 6.

And somehow after 5 years of total incompetence, we’re still debating whether Shinkaruk-Granlund was a good trade or whether some other GM might have made a worse move so might be the worst GM and not Benning. And not asking how the hell it came to be that this 80 IQ idiot has been destroying this team for 5 years.

It’s insanity and after 5 years I still can’t believe this has happened to my hockey team that I care about so much.​

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Totally normal that a bunch of players, including the captain, can't wait to get out of here. Definitely a sign the GM is doing a fantastic job.
And all the lame excuses cant really cover up now that the players are frustrated with the GM. No blaming Gillis, empty cupboards, covid, schedule, posts and crossbars, injuries, wait and see, hindsight....

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Obviously Horvat needs to be better.

But the fact that we now have media confirmation that the team captain is upset enough with management that he doesn't feel committed to this team long-term is hugely significant.

but is it just a management issue… all of this crap leads to the owners, imo. Fire Benning and the entire management group, fire Green and King but the owners will replace Benning with another puppet to hide behind.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
after all the media pressure, local and national, pressure from fanbase, pressure from its stars the past few years. Everyone is telling them, this management group is, sub par if you're polite, downright comically inept if you're honest. What do they do?

Their solution is still to have a meeting, wait to win a few games, and LET IT BLOW OVER. how the F is this going to blow over???? Your ship got capsized because your 1C forgot how to play, and your 4C is sick so your PK went historically epically kaput. Thats all it took for your good ship Benning to sink!? If your captain is telling you to shape up, what else do you need for AQ to take a long hard look at your best boy Benning's skeleton crew? Does Horvat need to go Roy Kent and smash Green's office for them to notice?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I'll just keep reposting my Mittens the Cat analogy, except by now replace '5 years' with '8 years'.

To me, this has always been like if Aquilini had hired his cat Mittens as GM, and nobody really seemed to bat an eye.

And then Mittens trades half the roster for catnip and fans and media are ‘Be patient, lets see how this turns out!’

And then Mittens allows his scouting staff to pick at top prospect with a high pick after plummeting to the bottom of the standings and fans and media are ‘Well, the whole catnip thing didn’t really turn out but look at that prospect! Man, can Mittens draft!’

And then Mittens spends a year sitting in the sun by a window and doesn’t trade for any catnip and everyone is ‘Hmmm, look how he’s learning and improving!’

And people are trying to rationalize moves made from an irrational situation where THE GM IS A f***ING CAT.​

it's like a South Park episode

If I were rich.. I'd pay Matt and Trey a lot of money to do an episode about this situation lol

Edit: Probably why I'm not rich

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Don't blame Horvat at all here. I know he needs to be better this year, but this guy has been through all the bad times. He has worked hard to turn this team around, and when things finally start like they are getting better, things hit a brick wall because of incompetence. Hopefully fans don't turn on him like Kesler.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
As much as I'd like to believe that's true, Sat is the same guy who sounded confident in Toffoli re-signing here. Doesn't mean everything he says is false, but it also means you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Don't blame Horvat at all here. I know he needs to be better this year, but this guy has been through all the bad times. He has worked hard to turn this team around, and when things finally start like they are getting better, things hit a brick wall because of incompetence. Hopefully fans don't turn on him like Kesler.
no way. guy is too nice and professional.

As much as I'd like to believe that's true, Sat is the same guy who sounded confident in Toffoli re-signing here. Doesn't mean everything he says is false, but it also means you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt
Toffoli was going to sign here if Jim didnt botch it. he wrote an article about it, he wanted to continue the bromance with Pearson.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Don’t blame Bo.

but if the inmates are going to continue to run the asylum, him and Miller have to be traded before they leave for FA.

Tram is a f***ing a mess.

Reactions: David71

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Horvat - ROR
Boeser - Duchene
Miller - Stastny

The only problem is they’re commited to more crap next year and beyond anyways. It’s why I don’t really care if it’s tear down or retool, I just want logical and maybe something that makes me proud not embarrassed.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I'm a Horvat fan, been one since the beginning, this guy is built like a tank, and has shown how great he is as a 2 way player, I supported him being the Captain because I saw too many Linden similarities he had in his game. He's been here now 8 years and every year no matter how bad it's been he's played his heart and soul out for this organization, eventually it takes a toll on you losing all the time, and what I've seen the last couple weeks out of him is someone who's tired and done, possibly of trying anymore, and how do you really blame him. It's frustrating to watch since he is the Captain and leader, and I hate seeing a Captain kind of give up, but that's what it looks like to me, he's just done it looks like now.

Reactions: MS and iFan

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Has Demko said anything?

Otherwise, yup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad