Bluth Company Universal Trade/Lineup Thread PT 2: Offseason Trade Deadline at 12am!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well then lets decide as a league, should we make it a rule that you can't trade with the same team in the same season?

I (obviously) dont see a problem with it as long as its evident that the two trades are not compounding on eachother and that each GM would accept either one of the trades if the other were voided.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Well then lets decide as a league, should we make it a rule that you can't trade with the same team in the same season?

I (obviously) dont see a problem with it as long as its evident that the two trades are not compounding on eachother and that each GM would accept either one of the trades if the other were voided.

Same season, yes?

Same window, no?

(Just a suggestion?)

It would remove (some of) the question about whether it is "really" 1 trade or 2.

stevezz

Jul 7, 2009
Same season, yes?

Same window, no?

(Just a suggestion?)

It would remove (some of) the question about whether it is "really" 1 trade or 2.

This would make sense, it would definitely help in making sure that all deals are seen as independent ones.

dunner

Jul 4, 2012
Same season, yes?

Same window, no?

(Just a suggestion?)

Agreed same season yes but there must be a significant time frame between the trade more than a single window because 2 teams could agree on a deal 2 windows apart to again get around the trading rules.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Summers trade is voided.

Since i'm the Commissioner and i'm the one who normally decides whether to void a trade on value or not, its hard for me not to be biased in approving trades for myself, and also unfair to the rest of you. It only seems fair that the GMs dictate value on my trades. Seeing as how there's only been negative feedback on this deal so far it only makes sense to void it.

The Yandle/Vrbata Carter/Voynov deal is still on.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Agreed same season yes but there must be a significant time frame between the trade more than a single window because 2 teams could agree on a deal 2 windows apart to again get around the trading rules.

No i think there's going to be a flat rule. Black and White. Yes or no. If i really wanted to i could just say to ArGarBarGar "Hey we'll split this deal up into two deals so it gets approved. We can do the big pieces now (Yandle, Vrbata, Voynov, Carter) and then the big pieces right before the trade deadline so it doesn't look suspicious".

If a rule is to be made at all, it will be that GMs cannot trade with the same team twice in the same season. Like Steve said, its unrealistic. I dont think thats ever happened before.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If a rule is to be made at all, it will be that GMs cannot trade with the same team twice in the same season. Like Steve said, its unrealistic. I dont think thats ever happened before.

Why not just say that they can't be in consecutive windows?

Here's my problem with an outright ban:

1) Some people will prefer not to deal in division / conference, which restricts the options.

2) Some people will prefer to deal with others who they've dealt with before, not because there is anything shady, but rather because they found them fair and reasonable--which not everyone is.

Both of those are fairly realistic concerns, no?

dunner

Jul 4, 2012
No i think there's going to be a flat rule. Black and White. Yes or no. If i really wanted to i could just say to ArGarBarGar "Hey we'll split this deal up into two deals so it gets approved. We can do the big pieces now (Yandle, Vrbata, Voynov, Carter) and then the big pieces right before the trade deadline so it doesn't look suspicious".

What about in myself and San Jose circumstances this season seems very legit in the off-season at the draft I received Couture and then at the deadline this year I got Havlat there was no prior talks of a trade and i'm sure this has happened in the NHL but I don't have the time to look into it.

stevezz

Jul 7, 2009

Id make the following exception to the rule: if a trade is made during the season and then another is made at the trade deadline it should have a chance to be approved on the condition that you take a good look at it first.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Yakupov is on the block.

Want a legit top winger in return. I'm tight for cap space so I'm packaging Peckham and Yakupov together.

Go.

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
What about in myself and San Jose circumstances this season seems very legit in the off-season at the draft I received Couture and then at the deadline this year I got Havlat there was no prior talks of a trade and i'm sure this has happened in the NHL but I don't have the time to look into it.

Talking about a San Jose/Minnesota trade reminds me that in the 2011 off-season alone there was the Burns/Setoguchi trade and Havlat/Heatley trade. It might be rare, but it does happen where two teams will trade with each other in a short span.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Why not just say that they can't be in consecutive windows?

Here's my problem with an outright ban:

1) Some people will prefer not to deal in division / conference, which restricts the options.

2) Some people will prefer to deal with others who they've dealt with before, not because there is anything shady, but rather because they found them fair and reasonable--which not everyone is.

Both of those are fairly realistic concerns, no?

1) Division...possibily, Conference...not really. I traded away my elite center to a team of notoriously struggled against. Look at the trades from this season and the 1st, many of them are inter-conference

2) There are only 1-2 GMs that i know of that have no concept of value. I've been in trade discussions with nearly every GM in the league. The high majority of GMs in this league are fair.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Hey Fuss if I can ask you a question, what specific abuse/negative outcome are you trying to eliminate with the rule about not trading the same team twice?

Ie: The 6 player limit is there to eliminate people changing their teams too much.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hey Fuss if I can ask you a question, what specific abuse/negative outcome are you trying to eliminate with the rule about not trading the same team twice?

Ie: The 6 player limit is there to eliminate people changing their teams too much.

Well, just look at this thread. It gets really difficult to distinguish between two legitimate trades and one big trade split into two trades to avoid breaking the rules.

The 4 Roster Players, 6 Total Pieces Rule was put in place so, like you said people wouldn't be destroying their team's identity with one trade.

Think of it kind of like the Cap-Circumvention controversey with Kovalchuk. He signed a 20 year deal originally that would have him playing until he was in his 40's, something he clearly was most likely not going to do. But New Jersey agree to pay him for that many years so it lowers his cap hit.

The "trading with the same team twice" rule is similar in that its technically within the rules but its simultaneously side-stepping them.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
It just seems to me that teams aren't able to destroy the identity of their team by trading the same team twice any more than by trading with two different teams. So even if they are circumventing the 6 player max rule, by having to use up 2 trades they aren't circumventing the reason that rule is in place.

But I guess it gets tricky when rules start overlapping. Glad I'm not commish in times like these! :)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Summers will be available for trade, as well as any other defenseman not named Ekman-Larsson for the right price.

Please inquire if interested.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
After a very long deliberation the Columbus Blue Jackets have decided to make their 2nd and final trade of the season. The Columbus Blue Jackets are trading Ryan Johansen and John Moore to the Edmonton Oilers for former 1st overall pick, Nail Yakupov and top 4 Defender Theo Peckham. The Columbus Blue Jackets would like to thank Ryan and John for their hard work and contributions to the organization and would also like to welcome Nail and Theo to Columbus. We are looking forward to many great things to come from these players.

:cbj gets
Nail Yakupov
Theo Peckham
2nd Rd

:edmonton gets
Ryan Johansen
John Moore.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Well, just look at this thread. It gets really difficult to distinguish between two legitimate trades and one big trade split into two trades to avoid breaking the rules.

The 4 Roster Players, 6 Total Pieces Rule was put in place so, like you said people wouldn't be destroying their team's identity with one trade.

Think of it kind of like the Cap-Circumvention controversey with Kovalchuk. He signed a 20 year deal originally that would have him playing until he was in his 40's, something he clearly was most likely not going to do. But New Jersey agree to pay him for that many years so it lowers his cap hit.

The "trading with the same team twice" rule is similar in that its technically within the rules but its simultaneously side-stepping them.

I love how the Kovalchuk deal got all the controversy, but Luongo, DiPietro, they can sign all the cap circumventing deals they want. How about Parise and Suter's 10+ years for the Wild? Damn.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
After a very long deliberation the Columbus Blue Jackets have decided to make their 2nd and final trade of the season. The Columbus Blue Jackets are trading Ryan Johansen and John Moore to the Edmonton Oilers for former 1st overall pick, Nail Yakupov and top 4 Defender Theo Peckham. The Columbus Blue Jackets would like to thank Ryan and John for their hard work and contributions to the organization and would also like to welcome Nail and Theo to Columbus. We are looking forward to many great things to come from these players.

Nail Yakupov
Theo Peckham
2nd Rd

Ryan Johansen
John Moore.
Confirmed.

TheFadedLine

Jan 10, 2012
Alberta

Nail Yakupov
Theo Peckham
2nd Rd

Ryan Johansen
John Moore.

Agghh. Wanted Nail so bad. Would have paid more.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC

Nail Yakupov
Theo Peckham
2nd Rd

Ryan Johansen
John Moore.
tumblr_mdl8qiKVhT1rf4dqro1_400.gif

TheFadedLine

Jan 10, 2012
Alberta

Nail Yakupov
Theo Peckham
2nd Rd

Ryan Johansen
John Moore.

I am a die hard life long Oiler fan and this is a stretch lol and I really like Teddy Peckman

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Will be interesting to see how that trade is received by Mr Commish given that Yakupov is on the franchise player list and therefore requires a significant overpayment (sorry Johansen) for a deal to be accepted. This could set serious precedent for future deals.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Very very happy to announce the addition of two former first round draft picks to the team.

Both players will start the season next year and that's assuming there's no growth of them at all. Both players are under the age of 25 and both have 4 star potential. I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop in the future. We will miss Nail, and Theo's contract, but it's time to turn the corner. This only deepens the Oilers roster for the upcoming season.

Hall-Vermette-Voracek
Johansen-Gagner-Hemsky
Korpikoski-Horcoff-Paajarvi
LaRose-Malhotra-R.Jones
Letestu

Whitney-Petry
Meszaros-Shultz
Smid-Moore
Teubert

Fingers crossed on the development of these new additions.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Very very happy to announce the addition of two former first round draft picks to the team.

Both players will start the season next year and that's assuming there's no growth of them at all. Both players are under the age of 25 and both have 4 star potential. I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop in the future. We will miss Nail, and Theo's contract, but it's time to turn the corner. This only deepens the Oilers roster for the upcoming season.

Hall-Vermette-Voracek
Johansen-Gagner-Hemsky
Korpikoski-Horcoff-Paajarvi
LaRose-Malhotra-R.Jones
Letestu

Whitney-Petry
Meszaros-Shultz
Smid-Moore
Teubert

Fingers crossed on the development of these new additions.

Have you seen the player Yakupov develops into?...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad