Post-Game Talk: Blues win 5-4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This is my 2nd week of working evenings, which has allowed me to only watch the weekend games live, thus I missed tonight's game, but caught it on replay...

I thought retrospectively that was quite a chess match between two veteran coaches. Hitchcock effectively switched his lines in the 2nd to get a spark. Maurice did it in the 3rd to regain some momentum.

Goaltending was a weakness tonight, but team defense was the reason Hutch was pulled. We gave up grade A scoring chances to a St. Louis team, which made plays. It should not be surprising, the Blues may have the best forward depth of any in our conference, and should be considered legitimate contenders for the #1 seed in the Western Conference. That said let's have a shot at them in the playoffs with Little, Buff, Chiarot, and Perrault, especially. for offense, and PP production, and I like our chances in any Elliott-Hutchinson matchup.

I want to go on the record as saying I really like Eric O'Dell's game. Taking Ott off the ice, who was the thorn in our side, earned his teammates respect, and I think fired us up a notch. If Little comes back to the lineup against the more talented, less physical, Florida teams, I hope Maurice would be confident enough in O'Dell to keep him in the lineup over Peluso, who again looked defensively lost on the 3rd, and more so on the 4-1 goal, creating a huge hole to climb out of.

This would be my lineup:

Ladd-Little-Stafford
Frolik-Scheif-Wheeler
Thorburn-Lowry-Stempniak
Tlusty-Slater-O'Dell

That's 4 lines I may have confidence in.

Hope Hutch and the team bounces back in Miami.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Well, in the cold light of dawn with a fresh perspective and a bit of time between then and now I can look back on what happened and be utterly ****ing depressed! Henceforth it shall be referred to as Les Disastre!

And Minny continues to win every frigging game they play!

brutal...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Last night was the 1st night that I felt I snapped over our goaltending. Both goalies were bad for different reasons. We now officially have below average net minders.

Hutch has dropped to 27th in save% for goalies with over 500 mins played at .915 and Pavs is at 40th with .910. This is not near good enough. When you score 4 goals you should at least be able to squeeze out a point.

I've been very supportive of the work Chevy has done this season, but not getting this team a veteran goalie it can lean on might undermine everything else he put in place.

igorulanov

Jan 31, 2015
Winnipeg
A part of me felt bad for pavs after that goal. What must've been going through his mind? He couldn't even go to the bench during the timeout, couldn't face his teammates.

I felt his awkardness through the tv.

Going from starter to backup to that moment must make Pavs feel like he's less and less a significant part of this team. Still, your team is your refuge, and he'd rather stay in the crease during that timeout spoke volumes to me. Or i'm reading too much into that moment.

Onward and upward boys. Go Jets Go! We're still in the wild card, up one point on LA and Cal with one less game to play than them. Lotsa hockey left.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
TSN wondering who the Jets start next game.... The goalie who let in 4 of 7 OR the guy who let in "that" goal.

Lots of flights available from the rock to south Florida.... Use one.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I really feel sorry for Pav. I mean with a minute to go you know he's thinking "OK we get out of here with at least a point and maybe I can start something and get back in the saddle here!"

...and then...

I feel for the guy, but he really has such a history of giving up late back-breakers and last night was like some sort of ghastly joke of an example of that.

I don't know what you do at this point. I've pretty much given up on Hutch being the guy who carries the load. I have no faith in Pav at all. Maybe you give Pav the next game and hope that he is motivated to make up for last night...but I really don't think he's got the mental cajones to do that. We're in a mess here boys!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
go back and look at the scores from the last 4 games.
i wouldn't say that we're a mess.

Oh good. I feel fine then...

:shakehead

btw, I din't say "we're a mess" I said "we're in a mess." Mostly referring to the goalie situation...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I am just feeling gutted right now. I can only imagine how the team feels. I hope they can put this game behind them. Florida game is so important now

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I had no problem with O'Dell taking that penalty considering the circumstances, borderline dirty hit, nor would I have had any issue with Peluso taking it at that time either. It seemed pretty clear to me that the team rallied behind that penalty kill and led directly to the shorty with the energy the fight provided.

Nope because of how it happened. Ott was trying to make Ladd fight a couple of minutes earlier and then a borderline late hit on Slater. I don't care who does it but challenge him. If the Ref wants to do it right, he doesn't give the instigator call because Ott had it coming after trying to fight Ladd and getting away without a roughing or instigator penalty. It should have evened it out but the ref decided differently which was wrong IMO.

Besides that, the refs had a pretty good game yesterday IMO. We don't mention it enough when it happens but it wasn't an easy game to ref at all.

No disrespect intended but ********.

Not specifically from you guys but overall. When a player is in the doghouse around here circumstance be damned. You better believe if that would have been 'Pelusless' people would be screaming about how it was a dumb penalty and the time of the game etc. etc.

I shouldn't have even brought it up, it's really nothing compared to what happened to us last night. I also don't mind one bit that O'Dell did what he did. I wished the ref's would have seen who it involved (Ott) and evened it out. I just found it an interesting study of the way things seem to be for certain players.

I keep thinking our luck has to turn, especially with the OOT scoreboard but man, will it ever?

Also, **** beavers.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
That game was exciting...until the final minute.

I'm not one to pile on goalies, am not at all a Pavelec fan, but that loss is all on Hutch. He gave up those goals on barely any shots-against. The team was actually playing well in front of him as he'd faced hardly any shots right up until the point he was pulled.

Yet at the same time it should be acknowledged that, despite the cumulative gong show in goal last night, they played even up for 59 minutes against one of the best teams in the league, and did so while missing their #1C, their #2LW, their best player (Buff), and their #2 LD, and while using a couple of kids as their #1 & #2 Cs'. Am not claiming it a moral victory, it was a loss, but credit to them for even keeping it close.

The sun will rise again, and today is a great day to be a Jets fan. For every failing that has been pointed out on these boards over the past few years, the solution potentially exists in our pipeline. The Jets have amazing goal-tending prospects, have help coming on LD in Morrissey, have a potential star in waiting in Ehlers - and some other upcoming firepower on the wings as well, have a myriad of C prospects, etc. To fixate upon a short-term letdown is to lose sight of the big picture in my own view. The future is bright here, bring it on.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
So what did we learn from this game?

I'll start it off, but please feel free to add your thoughts...

1) I was right. I ALWAYS said that Pavelec's weakness was high glove! :)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Losing against a tough team after a solid effort, like the previous Blues game, is something I think almost everyone is fine with.

Losing like they did tonight and playing the most embarrassing second period (had to go watch it again just to be sure it was real) since their inauguration season? Yeah no.

But yeah, lets just keep playing the "it happens" card. Jets seem to buy those in bulk :laugh:

You revel in the Jets losing just a bit too much, I don't quite get your motives other than to seemingly be smug and gain some measure of satisfaction out of saying " I told you so". :shakehead

Is the champagne chilled and ready for the day the Jets are officially eliminated? Have you booked the following day off work?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
That loss felt like a kick in the junk, but hopefully the team can put it behind them and get at least 3 out of 4 points coming up in Florida.

Lot's of good and bad in this game. Obviously on the bad side we have the play of both our goalies, one not making enough saves and the other not able to make a routine save. The defensive breakdowns in the second and the bone head penalties (C'mon Slater.).

On the positive side, I thought the team played with some jam and and really battled hard until the end (and for each other). I just hope they can keep that going and forget the rest.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I haven't read the whole thread, but we certainly didn't lose this game because of Pav. The entire team needs to play better than they did throughout 3 periods of hockey. All 3. Otherwise, why waste time thinking we are a playoff team?

The Jets looked like garbage out there for the majority of the game. No intensity, lackadaisical play in our own end and skating like they didn't need the points.

If that's how we play, then we certainly don't deserve to win.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
2) The Beaver power thing may be overblown :)

3) Bartenders will now be able to sell a new drink... The Pavelec.

It can bring on quick but short-lasting euphoria. However, there are serious side effects.
  • It can lead to slow reaction times
  • Hangover symptoms can often include anxiety, depression and a general feeling that the world has just come to an end.

White Out 403*

After sleeping on it last night I'm definitely not as upset about it as I was post game... but this one still stings really bad. At this point I think I've made a very conscious decision to try and remove 99% of my expectations and hopes for playoffs and just let the chips fall where they may. I may even try and skip the next game or two because I don't like coming into work like this, being in a lousy mood over hockey. I can honestly say that this is the first time that after sleeping on a loss I'm still in a crappy mood over hockey and I don't like it. So maybe a little bit of a break is in order from the Jets, if even for a just a game or two.

A final note I'd say about last night is I truly hope that for the majority of us Jets fans that is the final nail in the coffin for Pavelec, and we can stop asking for him to try and find his form again as our #1. That kind of loss and game losing goal is something you wouldn't even find in a video game.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Time for a Hellebuyck call up now????... I love cindarella stories and this is a prime chance for that!!! haha

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Something to remember today:

When I went to bed last night, we were still in a playoff spot

When I woke up this morning, we were still in a playoff spot

When I wake up tomorrow morning, we will still be in a playoff spot

If we beat Florida tomorrow night, we will still be in a playoff spot

Everyone is trying to catch us, not the other way around. We are still in a playoff spot. Just win the next game, and we are back in good shape again.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Ok, they had a bad 2nd period, if their goaltender bails them out a couple of times we're basically not even having this conversation. It's not like they were getting out shot by a 2-1 ratio or something, it was a tight game until the team had a bit of a lull and paid for it on the scoreboard. They needed some saves like Hammond pulled off on them the other night, at this time of year it's crucial and Hutch didn't answer the bell.

And for all this talk about how bad they were in that 2nd, I present to you the St. Louis Blues 3rd. Lot of people in here lauding how great they are and what an example of what a good hockey team looks like. They came within a crossbar of blowing a 4-1 lead at home in the 3rd period and losing the game! If the Jets had done that this place would have self destructed, complete meltdown. It's also not as if they gutted it out and took back the game, they won the freaking lottery on the most unlikeliest of goals you're going to see in a long time.

I'm going to take away how impressive it was that the Jets clawed their way back into that game, short handed no less. Considering the players out of their lineup , it was a great display of will and character to get themselves back in that game, it displayed to me they are nowhere near folding their tents. I just hope they can refocus on that and bury that ending where it belongs, in a dumpster behind the Scottrade Centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad