Not open for further replies.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
giphy.gif

Reactions: MissouriMook

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
What a game last night! I'm geeked to buckle up for another ride on the 2021 Blues train.

Some random thoughts on a gameday late morning:

• Guess there's about a zero chance of Seattle taking Sanford, eh? Here's hoping he stays in the press box the rest of the season.
  • Tyler Bozak needs more love. I want him back next year. 2 years/$6M ($3M AAV, obvi). Would you do it? Would the Blues do it? Should Tyler take that?
  • I'm feeling less and less worried about the Expansion Draft. My guess is Seattle takes a LD from us, likely Dunn but maybe Mikkola or Krug if the Blues are bold enough to expose him. But with Krug, Scandella, Dunn, Walman, and Mikkola - not to mention Perunovich in the wings - we have enough strength to withstand that loss.
  • Bold prediction here - next year we're going to look at Torey Krug the way we're looking at Justin Faulk this year. He'll be comfy in the system and the city and thrive. (Unless we're bold enough to expose him and protect Dunn, and see if Seattle bites.) Either way, not worried about LD as much as I was before.
  • #TeamMikeHoffman. That's it.
  • I love Jaden Schwartz, but he hasn't been very noticeable this season. If he gets into Playoff Schwartz mode over the next two weeks, man, that would be sexy.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
What a game last night! I'm geeked to buckle up for another ride on the 2021 Blues train.

Some random thoughts on a gameday late morning:

• Guess there's about a zero chance of Seattle taking Sanford, eh? Here's hoping he stays in the press box the rest of the season.
  • Tyler Bozak needs more love. I want him back next year. 2 years/$6M ($3M AAV, obvi). Would you do it? Would the Blues do it? Should Tyler take that?
  • I'm feeling less and less worried about the Expansion Draft. My guess is Seattle takes a LD from us, likely Dunn but maybe Mikkola or Krug if the Blues are bold enough to expose him. But with Krug, Scandella, Dunn, Walman, and Mikkola - not to mention Perunovich in the wings - we have enough strength to withstand that loss.
  • Bold prediction here - next year we're going to look at Torey Krug the way we're looking at Justin Faulk this year. He'll be comfy in the system and the city and thrive. (Unless we're bold enough to expose him and protect Dunn, and see if Seattle bites.) Either way, not worried about LD as much as I was before.
  • #TeamMikeHoffman. That's it.
  • I love Jaden Schwartz, but he hasn't been very noticeable this season. If he gets into Playoff Schwartz mode over the next two weeks, man, that would be sexy.
I've actually thought Schwartz has been about as noticeable as you can get without getting any points. Like, last night he blew past the Minnesota defense and drew that hooking call which lead to the Hoffman ppg. He is doing a lot of the little stuff

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'd have Husso in net tonight. 5th game in 8 days, tail end of a back-to-back, and Binner has faced 120 shots in the last week (and saw 243 attempts come his way). None of the previous 4 games were low-impact nights, so we need to be aware of wear and tear. We have another 5-in-8 day stretch from 5/1-5/8 and he needs a game off at some point. Up 3 points with 3 games in hand on Arizona (and up 5 points with 2 games in hand on SJ), we have enough cushion to play our backup once.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I'd have Husso in net tonight. 5th game in 8 days, tail end of a back-to-back, and Binner has faced 120 shots in the last week (and saw 243 attempts come his way). None of the previous 4 games were low-impact nights, so we need to be aware of wear and tear. We have another 5-in-8 day stretch from 5/1-5/8 and he needs a game off at some point. Up 3 points with 3 games in hand on Arizona (and up 5 points with 2 games in hand on SJ), we have enough cushion to play our backup once.
I agree. Husso in net, but maybe a short leash if he gives up one or two early

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Tyler Bozak needs more love. I want him back next year. 2 years/$6M ($3M AAV, obvi). Would you do it? Would the Blues do it? Should Tyler take that?

I love Bozak, but he is 35. If he won't take a 1 year deal, then we should move on. The bottom can drop out at any point on a 35 year old and I really don't want to commit a 2 year deal that takes him to 37. Additionally, a 1 year deal on a 35 year old can include easy to reach bonuses that have distinct cap advantages. If we are talking about a $3M cap hit for Bozak next year, it needs to be on a 1 year deal where most of that money is in the form of an easy to reach bonus that allows the Blues to roll the cap hit into the following season.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Looking forward to the game tonight. Would be huge to win another and really put a stamp on this playoff spot.

I hope either Parayko or MacEachern are in instead of Sanford.

Reactions: mk80

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I really hope Hoffman-Thomas-Kyrou stays together.

Also hoping Colt is back, and one of Clifford/MacMac replaces Sanford.

The fact that Berube had that line on the ice in the final minute says a lot. Guess it was pretty clear to everyone that line was dangerous all night. Man, where would this team be without Hoffman's heroics in recent weeks? Nice to see the kids turn it on as well. A lot to like about this team right now. We seem to have the Wild's number right now, let's keep it up tonight!

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I agree. Husso in net, but maybe a short leash if he gives up one or two early

If you're playing Husso, it's to give Binner a break; you don't throw him in after a bad period by the back-up. If that means Husso has to take a 9-goal pounding as the Wild's goalie did a few weeks back, then so be it.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The fact that Berube had that line on the ice in the final minute says a lot. Guess it was pretty clear to everyone that line was dangerous all night. Man, where would this team be without Hoffman's heroics in recent weeks? Nice to see the kids turn it on as well. A lot to like about this team right now. We seem to have the Wild's number right now, let's keep it up tonight!

Hard to believe Chief had Hoffman on the ice protecting a 1 goal lead with under a minute to go. I hope it shows Hoffmans commitment to working harder and not Chief throwing them a bone for a good game.

If you're playing Husso, it's to give Binner a break; you don't throw him in after a bad period by the back-up. If that means Husso has to take a 9-goal pounding as the Wild's goalie did a few weeks back, then so be it.

I think the call should be up to Binnington.

Reactions: thedustman

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think the call should be up to Binnington.
90% of starting goalies are going to tell you that they want to play every single time that decision is left up to them. I never told a coach I didn't want to go that night, even if I had something nagging from the night before. Binner is a super competitive guy and I can't imagine that the logic of "you need gas in the tank 3 weeks from now" will override the voice in his head screaming "that is your f***ing net, go protect it!"

"Do you want to get in there" is not a question the coach should be asking the goalie. It is the coaching staff's responsibility to manage the goalie's workload. For the long term good of the team, this is a night where you let your backup take a pounding instead of asking your starter to come save the day.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
hopefully Husso is ready, Wild likely gonna come out strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad