Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs. Wild| Meaningless Match vs Minnesota Pt. 1|

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I will be watching with a very, very close eye on the Vegas and Colorado games.

This is the scenario.

Vegas has 1 game left tonight against San Jose. If they win they are locked in as our opponent. If they lose it opens the window for the Avs.
The Avs have two games left against the Kings. They need 3 of 4 points if the VGKs lose in regulation tonight and 4 of 4 if Vegas earns a single point.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018

This is the scenario.

Vegas has 1 game left tonight against San Jose. If they win they are locked in as our opponent. If they lose it opens the window for the Avs.
The Avs have two games left against the Kings. They need 3 of 4 points if the VGKs lose in regulation tonight and 4 of 4 if Vegas earns a single point.
The Avs own the tiebreaker and control their destiny....if the Avs win out they will be your opponent

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

This is the scenario.

I hate to say it...but....go....Sharks
giphy.gif

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Hmm. Good to know I did not realized they owned the tie breaker.
Yeah, Colorado coming back to win in regulation over Vegas the other night could prove to be the deciding moment. If Vegas loses tonight, you have to think Colorado could take 2 points in 2 games vs LA, and sweeping both doesn’t seem like the tallest hurdle.

It could still go either way. Personally, I’m just glad those teams are in “meaningful” games down the stretch so they may not be resting guys as much as they might. The Presidents Trophy is meaningless in post-season preparation, but they’re fighting for it anyway.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, Colorado coming back to win in regulation over Vegas the other night could prove to be the deciding moment. If Vegas loses tonight, you have to think Colorado could take 2 points in 2 games vs LA, and sweeping both doesn’t seem like the tallest hurdle.

It could still go either way. Personally, I’m just glad those teams are in “meaningful” games down the stretch so they may not be resting guys as much as they might. The Presidents Trophy is meaningless in post-season preparation, but they’re fighting for it anyway.

I really hope Vegas' salary cap shenanigans come back to haunt them. They played the Blues with 1 less skater and played Colorado with 5 D and 10 forwards because they are so close to the cap. Would be hilarious if they run their team into the ground and are spent by the time they get to the playoffs.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
I feel like I would rather play the Avs than Vegas. If we can squeak it out against the Avs and Minny can beat Vegas, then we can surely take Minny and who knows what happens from there.

I don't really consider us a true contender but I also think we're underestimated. I think a lot of our point earning troubles had to do with injuries, and when we're at full strength we can be the better team on any given night. Bring on the playoffs.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I just hope our players don't think these last couple games are meaningless. If I were Berube I'd be pissed if that were the case.

A shutout would be nice in one of these last two games.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I really hope Vegas' salary cap shenanigans come back to haunt them. They played the Blues with 1 less skater and played Colorado with 5 D and 10 forwards because they are so close to the cap. Would be hilarious if they run their team into the ground and are spent by the time they get to the playoffs.
I expected that to be a problem when I looked at their Cap situation as they pursued Pietro and couldn’t trade Fleury. Then they played several times with a short roster. You’d think guys would have to play longer minutes and show more wear because of it. It would irritate me for that deliberate strategy to be rewarded as appearing successful. I really don’t like that franchise. I still don’t understand how an UFA like Pietro (or anyone) would be attracted to a place that has so brutally shopped so many of their players, including free agents they’d signed.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I just hope our players don't think these last couple games are meaningless. If I were Berube I'd be pissed if that were the case.

A shutout would be nice in one of these last two games.
The young guys playing will certainly take them very seriously. Those guys are fighting to prove they deserve an NHL career.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
can kostin steal sandford's spot in two games? (not an expectation, just a musing)

I don't think anyone is expecting Kostin to become a Brett Hull-like scoring machine. All we want is consistent effort that results in decent production. What's frustrating about Sanford (and Kerbs said this on the air during a recent game) is that he'll play a few great all around games to make you think he'll stay in the lineup, only to seem disengaged (Kerb's own word there) for the next few games. I think this makes Sanford the modern day Stephane Matteau. I've never come close to playing hockey at the level that Sanford has (only played street and roller in local leagues and was strictly a checking line center), but I did learn while playing that consistent effort is paramount to helping your team win. If Kostin can at least bring a consistent effort every time he plays (although everyone has an off game), I can see Berube keeping him in there for the playoffs.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
If Kostin really impresses the next two games, I wanna see this in the playoffs

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Kostin-Thomas-Hoffman
Barbashev-Bozak-Clifford/Blais
That's every bit as competitive a group of forwards as in '19. It's the D that's a bit weaker, but we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad