Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs. Wild| Meaningless Match vs Minnesota Pt. 1|

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Great game!

I was a little worried when the Wild had a big push to start, but the Blues weathered the storm, and settled into their game. Ville Husso was outstanding, and I'm very happy for him to get his first shutout and the team to finally have one!

Also thought Kostin looked good, he made a few plays that I thought "that works in the KHL but can't do that here" but other than that I thought he did well, and those mistakes are easily cleaned up.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
To me he didn’t standout, which for a d-man isn’t bad at all. But granted, I wasn’t giving every minute of the game my induced attention

He blew his coverage over skating his man headed into the corner then fell down leaving his mark with 8-12 feet of space for several seconds. Dangerous play on something that shouldn't have been but other than that one glaring error he was solid.

A couple things I've noticed with him the last few viewings is that he's cut down drastically on those type of boneheaded mistakes and looks much more comfortable getting pucks out under pressure which is encouraging.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
I agree completely. He's a great announcer that tries to call the game without being to much of a homer and has fun while doing it.

This right here is one of the reason why I like our announcing a lot. I get being somewhat homers, but our guys are no where close to some teams announcing and radio guys. We definitely have one of the better TV & radio broadcast IMO.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
How did Kostin look last night? Couldn't get around the game being blacked out for me and wasn't able to watch.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
How did Kostin look last night? Couldn't get around the game being blacked out for me and wasn't able to watch.

He was decent, but didn't stand out a lot to me. He was throwing his body around as you'd expect and led the team with 6 hits in under 13 minutes of ice time. But the only other thing he did to stand out for me was make a dangerous pass in front of our own goal that thankfully we didn't get punished for.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Kostin need to improve his first strides, get more explosiveness. He looked too much of Perron skating. I didnt like that at all.

Over that, his passing was crisp, see the ice and game well. He has hockey IQ offensively, knows where to be. Need more games to see what player he reminds of. Overally after 1st game. He belongs NHL level.

Easily 3rd liner and at best 2nd liner. Like it.

Oh now I see who he reminds of. Maroon at boards. Puck possession monster, good luck to take away a puck away from him.

Improve his skating and we have lethal top6 winger.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He blew his coverage over skating his man headed into the corner then fell down leaving his mark with 8-12 feet of space for several seconds. Dangerous play on something that shouldn't have been but other than that one glaring error he was solid.

A couple things I've noticed with him the last few viewings is that he's cut down drastically on those type of boneheaded mistakes and looks much more comfortable getting pucks out under pressure which is encouraging.
He's using his body more effectively in his hitting and using body leverage to impede the progress of opposing forwards. He's been on a slow and steady course in improvement of his physical game, which will help his overall game a lot. But the big addition he needs is adding significant muscle and muscle bulk - which I hope will come this offseason.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
no, but it DOES show you the potential

Even earlier in the year, I had always thought he doesn't make the big gaffes that Allen did (and apparently still does), but he was just weak. Last night proved to me how strong he can potentially be.

He's very solid in terms of his positioning and doesn't overslide like Allen, but again, he was always susceptible to giving up weak goals.

I think we have a potentially great goaltending pair for the foreseeable future.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Even earlier in the year, I had always thought he doesn't make the big gaffes that Allen did (and apparently still does), but he was just weak. Last night proved to me how strong he can potentially be.

He's very solid in terms of his positioning and doesn't overslide like Allen, but again, he was always susceptible to giving up weak goals.

I think we have a potentially great goaltending pair for the foreseeable future.
Really? I thought he has been similar to Allen in terms of over-sliding mixed with having a not so great glove hand. His biggest attribute is his athleticism, but he does need to settle down quite a lot in the crease for me to feel better about him moving forward.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad