GDT: Blues vs. Coy --ope!-- San Jose Sharks| 7pm, FSMW|

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Listening to this interview with JR...it does not sound good for Parayko

Blues Insider Jeremy Rutherford – 101 ESPN

"There is an injury...if it were a knee and he needed surgery then they would do that or shoulder and he needed rehab time they would take him out. It's neither of those situations. Potentially this could be something that goes on and on and on..."

When asked if sitting him would help... "I think that would help but it's not going to cure it...even with those types of breaks were not going to see Parayko get back to the level of player we know he can be...whether they'll need to address it in the off-season I'm not quite sure yet."

Yikes.
Hopefully it is not something with his back. All of that sounds not great, though.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

"There is an injury...if it were a knee and he needed surgery then they would do that or shoulder and he needed rehab time they would take him out. It's neither of those situations. Potentially this could be something that goes on and on and on..."

When asked if sitting him would help... "I think that would help but it's not going to cure it...even with those types of breaks were not going to see Parayko get back to the level of player we know he can be...whether they'll need to address it in the off-season I'm not quite sure yet."

Yikes.
Yikes, indeed.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

...that Faulk was already our #1?
4yksf4.jpg

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So it groin or hamstring injury. It could tell how it affect his skating so much.

Jbo had quite bad and it taked almost full year to get back in normal skating. Tho I dont remember did Jbo go surgery or not.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Yikes.
Thanks for posting the link to the conversation on 101. After listening to JR dance around the specifics of the injury, and pairing that with what I've seen from him on the ice, my guess is that this is something along the lines of a bulging/herniated disc. Maybe our medical contributors can weigh in on this, but having experience with back issues myself, I would think that something like that would require at least 6-8 weeks of rest to address, with or without surgical intervention.

scottyajak

Apr 14, 2019
Well, we all saw it and playing through whatever it is wasn't working. I got worried when last game Colt actually skated the puck into the offensive zone and just put a really weak wrist shot on net.

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Thanks for posting the link to the conversation on 101. After listening to JR dance around the specifics of the injury, and pairing that with what I've seen from him on the ice, my guess is that this is something along the lines of a bulging/herniated disc. Maybe our medical contributors can weigh in on this, but having experience with back issues myself, I would think that something like that would require at least 6-8 weeks of rest to address, with or without surgical intervention.
Could be a back issue. I would think a bulging disc-type thing would fall under "rest/rehab it and let it get better" which JR makes it sound like won't do the trick. My current inclination is to think it's something chronic, degenerative or arthritic and they're trying to make the best of it they can right now.

Whatever it is, I'll bet we find out what it is before the expansion draft. If it's serious, I'd expect Parayko to not be on our protected list and we'd dare Seattle to waste a pick on him.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Could be a back issue. I would think a bulging disc-type thing would fall under "rest/rehab it and let it get better" which JR makes it sound like won't do the trick. My current inclination is to think it's something chronic, degenerative or arthritic and they're trying to make the best of it they can right now.

Whatever it is, I'll bet we find out what it is before the expansion draft. If it's serious, I'd expect Parayko to not be on our protected list and we'd dare Seattle to waste a pick on him.
Not to speculate too much, as it could be any number of things, but Zibanejad (and a number of other players) has an ongoing struggle from when he had Covid.

And yeah, hope it isn't serious.

Really excited to play a new team

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Given the club's pretty extreme secrecy, I get the sense that JR's comments are much more speculative than they are "I know exactly what's going on but have agreed not to tell."

But I'm probably still biased from him casually teasing a locker room issue by talking about it all the time in comments but refusing to clarify or "report" on it because his sources were off the record. That bull shit has caused me to take any of his non-detailed and sourced reporting with a pretty major grain of salt. I don't know whether the locker room was cancer, but I know that "off the record" doesn't mean that a reporter can talk about it in the comments but not actually report it. "Off the record" sure as hell doesn't mean "spread rumors about this but just don't clarify when asked."

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Yikes.

He’s skating fine laterally, his stops and starts look fine. I’m not sure what it could be? Meniscus? Ankle?

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019

He’s skating fine laterally, his stops and starts look fine. I’m not sure what it could be? Meniscus? Ankle?

Doctor here.

It could literally be any number of things. Attempting to speculate at this point is rather pointless and also none of anyone's business.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I don't buy that it's COVID-related. Not that he couldn't be having issues related to it, but if he is I'm not sure how "keep playing a physical, strenuous sport" fixes it any more than it would fix fighting through PCS issues.

He's clearly got issues turning at times. We've seen him get beaten to the outside quite a bit, he's not following through, he's tentative and trying to use his reach instead of closing the gap and using his size. What's causing that, I don't know. If I knew, I could probably fix my own hip/back issues.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Doctor here.

It could literally be any number of things. Attempting to speculate at this point is rather pointless and also none of anyone's business.

it’s definitely my business. He plays on my team

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
(Little late to the party but I have to get this out of my system)
Wait; the Blues are playing somebody other than the Coyotes?
OIP.HYqKIXWMDYxnE13BE5Vz2gAAAA

As for Parayko: personally I've been thinking it's something in his back for a while now. His skating hasn't been hurt to much, it's more that he's afraid to turn or use any upper body strength for fear of "tweaking" something. I seem to recall him getting a pretty good shot from behind during the bubble( IIRC it was from everyone's favorite diver, Roussell) and I'm wondering if he didn't get a fracture on one of his ribs that isn't healing right.
Admittedly, we don't have nearly enough information to know for sure and it's never good to speculate. I think this is a case where JR should either ask the question outright and give people a legit answer or STFU.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
JR’s cryptic comments made me think sports hernia. It’s the type of injury that can linger and not really be worsened by playing. Totally speculative, but it would make the situation make sense. I don’t think we’ve even heard an upper vs lower body report from the Blues.

I don’t understand the earlier comment that it’s none of our business. In the age of legal sports gambling, injuries to professional athletes are a matter of public interest. Most leagues have requirements to divulge a certain level of detail publicly. I don’t see the harm in having a speculative discussion in a setting like this board. None of us are claiming to have Parayko’s private information.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Doctor here.

We love guessing game. Not our business? If its critical to his health or is some serious illness that Parayko and team doesnt want to tell publicly then yes it's not our business at all, it's his private manner. He is Blues hockey player and we just listened Blues writer tell something about it. Ofc we'll speculate what is his injury.

Hey doc why dont you just keep your work views at work and not in free time in hockey forum or give your analysis what could be wrong in him or just shhhhh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad