Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Dbrownss said:
Idk I'm usually too busy beating my head against the wall when we face the Canucks to pay attention to their players. Edler seems like a less Boumeester/ better Gunnarsson

We can predict quite lightly that Gunnar won't continue Blues after coming season.

Edler is all the way better player and that contract 5mill.$x4 years more is cheap cheap fun fun. Only problem is can our prospects be capable play top4 minutes and step up that we need new top4 LHD. So many if's our d-core.

• Jbo condition?
  • Gunnar really top4 dmen?
  • Can Lindbohm play consistency top4 role?
  • Parayko ready for NHL?
  • What Edmundson and Abeltshauser can show?

I would rather give our future guys icetime then Gunnar another contract after this season. That would help maybe give opportunity give Backes extension.

So we could see unpredict lines in d-core after coming season:

Code:
Lindbohm - Pietrangelo
Edler - Shattenkirk
Parayko - Bortuzzo

Edit.

I'm really suprise how good stats Edler has and you couldn't even compare Gunnar to Edler. I think we should compare Edler to Jbo. I think I would take Edler every day of week.

Lurking behindnet, Paul Byron d-zone starts to o-zone finish is suprisingly good. Boy can hit also. Looks like very good 3rd liner and that size. One guy that I'm jealous to Calgary is Lance Bouma. Sigh.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think the Blues have to do something with the defense by year's end. You'll have 5 guys on the right-side who are NHL players (Petro, Shatty, Bortuzzo, Schmaltz & Parayko)...while the left-side is pretty weak: J-Bo, Gunnarsson & Lindbohm.

(Not counting Butler, Harrold, Benoit, because they're stop-gap #7 types with no future with the organization outside of that role).

If Armstrong wanted to swing for the fences, and was convinced that Schmaltz & Parayko were the real deals...he could give himself a lot of flexibility and restock the pipeline by trading either of Petro or Shatty. You'd have to think that he'd be able to get a bounty of prospects and picks for either...though I'm sure many on this board would be terrified of what kind of return he'd actually come back with.

Stillman: "What do you mean you traded Pietrangelo? He's the best damned defender on this team. You better be telling me it's in a package for Malkin...or at the very least 3 first-round picks from a bottom-feeder".

Armstrong: "Even better, Tom. I got us a 'heavy' 3rd liner, a pair of 4ths, and a magic lamp whose genie will grant us 3-wishes...once we figure out the correct rubbing technique to wake him up".

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think the Blues have to do something with the defense by year's end. You'll have 5 guys on the right-side who are NHL players (Petro, Shatty, Bortuzzo, Schmaltz & Parayko)...while the left-side is pretty weak: J-Bo, Gunnarsson & Lindbohm.

(Not counting Butler, Harrold, Benoit, because they're stop-gap #7 types with no future with the organization outside of that role).

If Armstrong wanted to swing for the fences, and was convinced that Schmaltz & Parayko were the real deals...he could give himself a lot of flexibility and restock the pipeline by trading either of Petro or Shatty. You'd have to think that he'd be able to get a bounty of prospects and picks for either...though I'm sure many on this board would be terrified of what kind of return he'd actually come back with.

Stillman: "What do you mean you traded Pietrangelo? He's the best damned defender on this team. You better be telling me it's in a package for Malkin...or at the very least 3 first-round picks from a bottom-feeder".

Armstrong: "Even better, Tom. I got us a 'heavy' 3rd liner, a pair of 4ths, and a magic lamp whose genie will grant us 3-wishes...once we figure out the correct rubbing technique to wake him up".

And a butt-load of magic beans!

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

Depending on what type of offers such a proposal might fetch, I would probably prefer they deal Shatty plus rather than Petro. If a Shatty plus deal could get us a left handed D-man on the par of Petro, I think it would be a positive move.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Pietrangelo and Tarasenko should both play their whole careers as Blues, unless the team completely falls apart and enters a new rebuild from the ground up.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah saying someone should play their whole career here when they're under 25 is a bit strange. That doesn't happen much anymore and a lot can happen in 10 years.

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
Stealth JD;105568819 [B said:
I think the Blues have to do something with the defense by year's end.[/B] You'll have 5 guys on the right-side who are NHL players (Petro, Shatty, Bortuzzo, Schmaltz & Parayko)...while the left-side is pretty weak: J-Bo, Gunnarsson & Lindbohm.

Seems like they are ALWAYS worrying about defense and just never seem to find the magic bullet. idk. our D is one of tops in the league (on paper?) maybe? idk...i just seems like we are always needing more offense, but find better defense. when the D throws up in their mouths a bit, the team spirals out of control. can't win 2-1 1-0 games all the time. We have the makings of great offensive players...but we just can't seem to pull it together.

i'm disheartened by the Oshie trade. i really think we could have gotten more and furthermore, should have gone in a different direction the Brouwer, but now we have to make due with what we got or look at shipping out Backes as he appears to be our only legitimate trade chip on the block. just my opinions though. flame away.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So where does this offensive catalyst come from? You guys keep going there and rightfully so, to a point. We've seen first hand high end scorers crap the bed. Steen constantly wiffs, Schwartz is 1 and done, Stastny was a no show. Seriously....we were a top team with offense last year. At the end of the day, it's coaching to me but that's not changing this year. In the post today, Hitch laid out his plan in simple terms....it sounds nice and I guess we'll see how it goes. Our hopes for more offense will come from in house with the prospects and players we have. Oshie wasn't going to return a better scorer without tacking on one of our better prospects.... do you really want that? Especially when everyone wanted futures for Oshie at the same time....

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It's rare, but if ever there were two payers special enough to warrant doing what you need to to keep it's those two.

Yeah, it's not like it's unheard of. Does anyone see Toews or Kane going anywhere? Doughty? Kopitar? Crosby? Sure, it could happen if we went through a major rebuild, but I think those two are as safe as anyone to stick around. What could we possibly get that would be worth giving up one of those guys? You almost never get "fair" value for star players.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, it's not like it's unheard of. Does anyone see Toews or Kane going anywhere? Doughty? Kopitar? Crosby? Sure, it could happen if we went through a major rebuild, but I think those two are as safe as anyone to stick around. What could we possibly get that would be worth giving up one of those guys? You almost never get "fair" value for star players.
Look at Martin St. Louis, Ray Bourque, and so many other players that I'm not even gonna bother listing.

In 10 years the Blues might not be a good team anymore. Or what if they somehow draft an absolute stud on defense who actually does become the next Pronger and then they can sell high on Pietrangelo? Lots of things happen in sports. What if Pietrangelo gets tired of losing here and walks as a free agent when his deal is up? What if he wants to play a portion of his career in Canada closer to home? At some point players move on. The only reason Patrick Marleau hasn't been traded by the Sharks is because he refuses to waive his NTC.

It's just pointless to say "this guy should play his whole career here" when he's 24 years old. The chances of both of them playing another 16 straight years in St. Louis is possible but it's nothing you should be counting on right now in today's cap world. The only thing that really matters is that they are here for the majority of their prime.

I mean all of those guys you listed could play for a new team at some point, who knows. They're all young. Maybe Pittsburgh keeps Crosby around, but Pietrangelo and Tarasenko aren't Crosby anyways.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Look at Martin St. Louis, Ray Bourque, and so many other players that I'm not even gonna bother listing.

In 10 years the Blues might not be a good team anymore. Or what if they somehow draft an absolute stud on defense who actually does become the next Pronger and then they can sell high on Pietrangelo? Lots of things happen in sports. What if Pietrangelo gets tired of losing here and walks as a free agent when his deal is up? What if he wants to play a portion of his career in Canada closer to home? At some point players move on. The only reason Patrick Marleau hasn't been traded by the Sharks is because he refuses to waive his NTC.

It's just pointless to say "this guy should play his whole career here" when he's 24 years old. The chances of both of them playing another 16 straight years in St. Louis is possible but it's nothing you should be counting on right now in today's cap world. The only thing that really matters is that they are here for the majority of their prime.

I mean all of those guys you listed could play for a new team at some point, who knows. They're all young. Maybe Pittsburgh keeps Crosby around, but Pietrangelo and Tarasenko aren't Crosby anyways.

Okay, I guess you take the Blues Lifer tag more literally than I do. I consider Bernie Federko a Blues lifer. He's not technically, but he played all of his meaningful games in St. Louis. I also consider Jax a Blues lifer. You're right, it's not all that likely that Tarasenko and Pietrangelo never play for a different team. But I think it's pretty damn likely that all of their meaningful games, when they are in their prime, are played in St. Louis.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Okay, I guess you take the Blues Lifer tag more literally than I do. I consider Bernie Federko a Blues lifer. He's not technically, but he played all of his meaningful games in St. Louis. I also consider Jax a Blues lifer. You're right, it's not all that likely that Tarasenko and Pietrangelo never play for a different team. But I think it's pretty damn likely that all of their meaningful games, when they are in their prime, are played in St. Louis.

You understand what I was getting at. I'm surprised this is a point of contention for anyone.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

For all intents and purposes Bourque and St. Louis played their entire careers with one organization. One or two years tacked on at the end doesn't really chang that.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Seems like they are ALWAYS worrying about defense and just never seem to find the magic bullet. idk. our D is one of tops in the league (on paper?) maybe? idk...i just seems like we are always needing more offense, but find better defense. when the D throws up in their mouths a bit, the team spirals out of control. can't win 2-1 1-0 games all the time. We have the makings of great offensive players...but we just can't seem to pull it together.

i'm disheartened by the Oshie trade. i really think we could have gotten more and furthermore, should have gone in a different direction the Brouwer, but now we have to make due with what we got or look at shipping out Backes as he appears to be our only legitimate trade chip on the block. just my opinions though. flame away.

If Doug Armstrong really could have gotten more out of the trade, he would have. You don't think Armstrong wants the best possible bang for his buck? Armstrong took the best deal available for a player than 70% of the fanbase was using as the most recent scapegoat for this year's playoffs. He wasn't going to get anymore than what he got from any other team.

I don't understand why people think that Armstrong is just shipping off players for minimal value. He really only has 1 of those trades on his resume in the time that he has been with the Blues, and even in that case, it was more of a cap issue.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Didn't Army even told by himself "don't trade for just sake of trade." "No trade is better then poor trade."

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not exactly sure what they see in brouwer....but they seem to view him as a better fit then Oshie. It seems this isn't a bad trade in the world of Armstrong. It's been almost a month now, it's time to stop complaining and let's see how it shakes out. I have a hard time seeing the pan out...but what the hell.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
He's a consistent 20 goal scorer with a cup ring on a team that struggles to score in the playoffs. I'm not sure where all the hate for Brouwer comes from

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's scored 20 goals by leeching off of top talent in roles that he never should've been in. He's essentially the bigger more physical version of D'Agostini. While D'Agostini impersonated a speedy sniper, Brouwer impersonates a physical power-forward. In their proper 3rd line roles, they are no more than an average 3rd liner that gets 30ish points.

Berglund-Backes-Brouwer has no quality creators or distributors, so it will likely be an epic disaster and the line combos will be thrown off very early on, just like they were last season.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He's a consistent 20 goal scorer with a cup ring on a team that struggles to score in the playoffs. I'm not sure where all the hate for Brouwer comes from

The scores at the exact same pace as Oshie in the regular season and his playof ppg average is even worse than Oshie's. His even strength scoring numbers are for all intents and purposes the same as Patrik Berglund. Frankly the "he has a cup" argument is a bit of a misnomer. He was a bit player. Take him off the Hawks in 2010 and they still win the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad