Blues Trade Proposals - Part VII

illninofan*

David Solomon ‏@solomonsside 49m

For those asking about who'll play center for the #stlblues, just remember it's still early. No doubt though losing out on Lehtera hurts.

David Solomon David Solomon ‏@solomonsside 1h

Hitchcock told John Hadley Berglund & Backes will see time on wing in exhib & likely can come out of camp at LW & RW respectively. #stlblues

Not sure how I feel about that, to be honest.

On the positive side, this probably means that Army and Hitch definitely have a plan of some kind.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not sure how I feel about that, to be honest.

On the positive side, this probably means that Army and Hitch definitely have a plan of some kind.

Yeah, they are banking on adding a top 6 center then. Going to be an interesting draft and free agency for sure.

I think both could do well on the wing, but I'd rather keep Backes and his defense abilities at center. Having Berglund on the wing might be the best place for him to produce offensively though. Less responsibilities means he can focus on scoring.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Stewart is moved for a center, Backes could shift over and if Perron is moved for a center then Berglund could shift over, that's the way I see it.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Unless they are thinking about signing a center for cheap during free agency and then trading for another one.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well we're at least going to be adding one center either through a trade or free agency.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
That's a pretty interesting piece of information. I still don't understand moving Backes to the wing though. He's put up a 30-30 season at center, and is consistently in the 50 point range while playing exceptional defense. I don't think putting him on the wing fully utilizes all of the tools that make Backes an elite player. Then again, there's a reason Hitch has a Cup and I'm merely an observer.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Schwartz on the short list of center options. If he can translate his rabid puck pursuit across more ice, it could work. His lack of size and/or +speed negates his effectiveness streaking up the boards. We're already a good sized team. It doesn't kill our defensive system to be small (and lightning quick) in the middle, and big on the wing.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Schwartz on the short list of center options. If he can translate his rabid puck pursuit across more ice, it could work. His lack of size and/or +speed negates his effectiveness streaking up the boards. We're already a good sized team. It doesn't kill our defensive system to be small (and lightning quick) in the middle, and big on the wing.

If Sobotka can play there effectively, I think its not inconceivable that Schwartz could get time there. I've thought that at times during games watching him play. I'll be a bit surprised is that's really the plan, but he fits there as well or better than a guy like Oshie.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
I would like to see Berglund on the wing, backes should stay at center though. and to all the people saying Elliot for a sixth on the previous thread, first Elliot is worth more, and second trade value doesn't always equal value to the team. Elliot has a lot of value for this team, more so than anything we will bring back in a trade for him. so we shouldn't trade him unless someone offers more than he should be worth.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'll say it again, I'm really only interested in Brayden Schenn on Philly, but no way the Flyers move him before Couturier.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
Well, fellow Blues fans, I needs some help...

I admit I am not good with trade value stuff so I wanna get better and looking for explanations...so flaming me really isn't necessary!

Its about a Philly fans prosposal everyone but me seems to hate: Halak+Shatty for the Schenns.

For sure it starts with the management. If they don't want to trade Jaro and start with Elliott and Allen we can forget about the rest.

But if they do I really think this ain't a bad deal

-we dump Halak, save his salary
-we get an adequate top-4 RHD replacement for Shatty. Downgrade for sure but we get bigger, stronger and cheaper
-get much needed center depth and maybe, MAYBE even a even more needed center solution

Braydens 2-way play would fit well with us, he has one year remaining on his ELC but shouldn't he hard to re-sign with his bro under contract.
If he fails and is nothing more than a 2/3 line center he can at least replace Bergy and make him a trade bait...

So please tell me where I am that far off!? Or do I undervalued our own guys that much?!

Thanks!

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012

I admit I am not good with trade value stuff so I wanna get better and looking for explanations...so flaming me really isn't necessary!

Its about a Philly fans prosposal everyone but me seems to hate: Halak+Shatty for the Schenns.

For sure it starts with the management. If they don't want to trade Jaro and start with Elliott and Allen we can forget about the rest.

-we get an adequate top-4 RHD replacement for Shatty. Downgrade for sure but we get bigger, stronger and cheaper
-get much needed center depth and maybe, MAYBE even a even more needed center solution

Braydens 2-way play would fit well with us, he has one year remaining on his ELC but shouldn't he hard to re-sign with his bro under contract.
If he fails and is nothing more than a 2/3 line center he can at least replace Bergy and make him a trade bait...

So please tell me where I am that far off!? Or do I undervalued our own guys that much?!

Thanks!

I think youre over valuing both Schenns but a decent amount. not crazy over value but enough to make this trade unbalanced. I also don't like replacing shatty with schenn because that take away one of our 2 offensive defenseman and replaces him with a defensive defenseman.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
I think youre over valuing both Schenns but a decent amount. not crazy over value but enough to make this trade unbalanced. I also don't like replacing shatty with schenn because that take away one of our 2 offensive defenseman and replaces him with a defensive defenseman.

Ok, might be right since I am a Schenn fan right from the start.

I don't really see the problem with the second part. We have to switch the corps abit but

Jax-Petro
JBo-Schenn

or

JBo-Petro
Leopold-Schenn

are IMO more than solid top-4 defenses

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm all for moving Berglund to wing if we can get add another couple of centres, I think that would be the best position for him.

The idea of moving Backes to RW is just stupid. There is no situation where we add 3 better centres than Backes, and he isn't going to be anywhere as effective on wing.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Ok, might be right since I am a Schenn fan right from the start.

I don't really see the problem with the second part. We have to switch the corps abit but

Jax-Petro
JBo-Schenn

or

JBo-Petro
Leopold-Schenn

are IMO more than solid top-4 defenses

What Jackman-Pietrangelo pairing are we going to get? The one from 2011/12 or the one from 12/13? Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo is working great, so there is no need to mess with that.

Leopold isn't good enough for second pairing anymore. While he was miscast on the Blues with Shattenkirk, he was still crap for the Sabres. Also, we'd still have the problem of Jackman-Polák on the pairing.

Moving Shattenkirk without sourcing a proper puck-moving defenseman (like Goligoski) to replace him is pointless.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
With that announcement of Berglund and/or Backes to the wing, that means that The Blues plan to pick up a 1st or 2nd line centre. My guess is that Backes will stay at centre, and Berglund will move to wing when a winger (Stewart?) is packaged for a #2 centre. But, I wonder if that will mean that Steen will be the #3 centre?

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
With that announcement of Berglund and/or Backes to the wing, that means that The Blues plan to pick up a 1st or 2nd line centre. My guess is that Backes will stay at centre, and Berglund will move to wing when a winger (Stewart?) is packaged for a #2 centre. But, I wonder if that will mean that Steen will be the #3 centre?

Sobotka will be the third center before Steen will.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Thanks!

At this point Schenn is no better than Berglund. He had a great month last season, but that was it. I'm not paying what it would take for him just to get another extremely inconsistent producer.

Schenn has no puck-moving ability and we got Bouwmeester to play with Pietrangelo, so Schenn isn't a fit unless we completely screw up the pairings.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Now that the cup is over there should be a flurry of moves. With the blues and with other NHL teams. Berglund was the first step.

Something big is gonna happen, I feel it.

This next week will be huge leading up to the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad