Blues Trade Proposals Part 4

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Sabre fans like Schwartz, Oshie and Berglund. Cole might look good opposite Myers also. Mabe one of those forwards for him. Oshie would be prime

Are you throwing in Pominville as well then I assume? Because Doug Armstrong would crack up to hear Cole+Oshie for Sekera.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
We got overrun by the Kings because they boarded our best player out of the series. Even when Pietrangelo returned, we didn't have the transition game he normally provides. People make too much of this whole size thing, unless they are saying that the Kings are obviously a dynasty in the making because the Blues are a pretty big team in comparison to most.

Have a read of just why Sekera is so good here.

Great write up. Thanks for the link.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The Vlasic + Pavelski + 2d for Stewart + Schwartz offer made by a Sharks fan in a trade board thread is the most interesting Sharks offer I've seen. If the Sharks offered that the Blues almost have to take it.

Vlasic solves the LHD problem. Pavelski is a very legitimate scoring line center. The Blues give up two quality wingers but they have Jaskin, Rattie very near ready with some other possibilities in the pipeline. They'd be adding high picks rather than subtracting so they can keep things stocked (a mid-2d this year is going to land a good player). Hell, they could trade Cole and a pick between 2d and 4th for Briere given how his actual salary fits the Blues and how clutch he is in the postseason.

Steen-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Pavelski-Briere
Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Nichol-Porter/Reaves
Porter/Reaves

Vlasic-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
Redden

3 goalies

Next year Jaskin (or Rattie) replaces McDonald:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Jaskin-Pavelski-Briere

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'd want their first or Hertl coming back in that deal. If that means Stewart, Schwartz & 2nd for Pavelski, Vlasic & 1st/Hertl then so be it, but I wouldn't be interested in getting value back in a 2nd. Particularly with Pavelski playing so poorly (albeit injured).

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
The Vlasic + Pavelski + 2d for Stewart + Schwartz offer made by a Sharks fan in a trade board thread is the most interesting Sharks offer I've seen. If the Sharks offered that the Blues almost have to take it.

Vlasic solves the LHD problem. Pavelski is a very legitimate scoring line center. The Blues give up two quality wingers but they have Jaskin, Rattie very near ready with some other possibilities in the pipeline. They'd be adding high picks rather than subtracting so they can keep things stocked (a mid-2d this year is going to land a good player). Hell, they could trade Cole and a pick between 2d and 4th for Briere given how his actual salary fits the Blues and how clutch he is in the postseason.

Steen-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Pavelski-Briere
Porter/Reaves

Vlasic-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
Redden

3 goalies

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Jaskin-Pavelski-Briere

If I could swap Stewart with either Perron or Oshie I do it in a heartbeat and start the "We want the cup" chant.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Toughness comes from within. Anaheim's a big team and their guys were saying the game was physical and tough the other day with the Blues. The Blues have a team capable of being tough. Are they mentally tough enough to be physically tough consistently, that's the playoff 64,000 question. But I don't think having or not having one guy will make the difference in that department. I do know that adding Vlasic to the blueline would be fantastic and would make the Blues very deep and dangerous.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011

Steen-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Pavelski-Briere
Porter/Reaves

Vlasic-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
Redden

3 goalies

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Jaskin-Pavelski-Briere

I would try and do something around Vlasic+Pavs for Stewart+Jaskin+1st, or Stewart+Cole+Jaskin+2nd, or even Stewart+Cole+1st. Not sure if that would be enough for San Jose, but I don't want to trade two of our top 9 wingers without for sure knowing we could get Briere. The Briere trade would have to be first imo.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Would rather do something like Oshie+Cole+1st for Pavelski+Vlasic

Steen-Backes-Stewart
Perron-Pavelski-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Berglund-McDonald

Vlasic-Pie
Jax-Shatty
Russell-Polak

And replace Amac with Jaskin/Rattie if need be next year. Hell I would even throw McDonald in the trade too, to be honest.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
The Blues could make any number of different moves to improve the blue line.

Hell, if we're throwing out names I would be on the phone with Paul Holmgren inquiring about the availability of Kimmo Timonen who the Flyers might be willing to part with since they will be nowhere close to resembling a cup contender by the time his deal expires next season.

Cole + 1st. I'd do that in a second especially since he's not a rental.

If this team could take on money for next season the Blues could add a significant piece. But they can't unless they trade a solid roster player. Which sucks.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
The Blues could make any number of different moves to improve the blue line.

Hell, if we're throwing out names I would be on the phone with Paul Holmgren inquiring about the availability of Kimmo Timonen who the Flyers might be willing to part with since they will be nowhere close to resembling a cup contender by the time his deal expires next season.

Cole + 1st. I'd do that in a second especially since he's not a rental.

If this team could take on money for next season the Blues could add a significant piece. But they can't unless they trade a solid roster player. Which sucks.

I don't see how we can't take on money. We went after Matt Carle and Jason Garrison this off-season, and you know we weren't offering them one-two year deals in the 2-3 million range. This was with the knowledge of how our roster would look this year, and also with the knowledge that we would need to resign our RFAs, some to pretty significant raises.

I think we can pay Garrison type money if we need to, but would prefer to pay Sekera type money.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't see how we can't take on money. We went after Matt Carle and Jason Garrison this off-season, and you know we weren't offering them one-two year deals in the 2-3 million range. This was with the knowledge of how our roster would look this year, and also with the knowledge that we would need to resign our RFAs, some to pretty significant raises.

I think we can pay Garrison type money if we need to, but would prefer to pay Sekera type money.

We can afford to take on money this season. Last summer, signing Garrison/Carle wouldn't have been an issue financially for this season. It almost certainly would have been an issue next season and we'd have had to move someone to make room for the RFA we are giving out in the summer.

As things stand right now, we can probably afford to sign everyone we need to and be fine. If we add someone in FA or for picks/prospects then that might change. It's all gues work though, but it is tough to see us jumping to a $60m salary bill next season.

I still wouldn't be surprised if something happened with Pittsburgh, but that solely depends on how we view Després. With Jackman playing well enough with Pietrangelo just now, we might think Jax-Petro & Després-Shatty works in the short term, and next season have the Després-Petro pairing. I'd prefer someone with more experience (one of the 3 born in the former Czechoslovakia please!), but I think this might be more realistic.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
We can afford to take on money this season. Last summer, signing Garrison/Carle wouldn't have been an issue financially for this season. It almost certainly would have been an issue next season and we'd have had to move someone to make room for the RFA we are giving out in the summer.

As things stand right now, we can probably afford to sign everyone we need to and be fine. If we add someone in FA or for picks/prospects then that might change. It's all gues work though, but it is tough to see us jumping to a $60m salary bill next season.

I still wouldn't be surprised if something happened with Pittsburgh, but that solely depends on how we view Després. With Jackman playing well enough with Pietrangelo just now, we might think Jax-Petro & Després-Shatty works in the short term, and next season have the Després-Petro pairing. I'd prefer someone with more experience (one of the 3 born in the former Czechoslovakia please!), but I think this might be more realistic.

It's true, I've done the math, and I see us sitting around 53-56 million next year in actual salary. That's pretty much our limit (sadly) in actual dollars we can afford. I guess it will be up to Stillman and Co to get creative to find a way to squeeze that 3ish million we will need for that last Dman to really put us over the top.

I think the one thing we can all agree upon is that we aren't winning a Cup until we get that last piece (Impact Left Side D).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think our budget next season could be around 58ish with playoff revenue from this season and raised prices for next season. Especially since we haven't spent to the budget this season, that money will carry over to next season.

If Army has asked about JayBo, we have a decent amount of room left in the budget.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
This is weird. I don't like the idea of trading Stewart and Schwartz for Vlasic and Pavs. Weird because this actually fills our needs. Partially because I think long term we would be better off keeping both. Partially because I don't think Rattie or Jaskin will be playing for the Blues full time next season. I also don't like the idea of trading for Briere, I could careless if he is PPG in playoffs, father time had his way with Langs too..

I would feel more comfortable if I felt we could replace what Stewart and Schwartz bring and what they will bring in the future.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's true, I've done the math, and I see us sitting around 53-56 million next year in actual salary. That's pretty much our limit (sadly) in actual dollars we can afford. I guess it will be up to Stillman and Co to get creative to find a way to squeeze that 3ish million we will need for that last Dman to really put us over the top.

I think the one thing we can all agree upon is that we aren't winning a Cup until we get that last piece (Impact Left Side D).

We are all guessing when it comes to the financials of the team.

Schwartz - Backes - Oshie ($900k - $4.75m - $4m)
Perron - Berglund - Stewart ($3.5m - $3.8m? - $4.25m?)
Steen - Lehterä - Tarasenko ($3.57m - $2.25m? - $900k)
Porter - Sobotka - Reaves ($600k? - $1.4m - $600k)
Cracknell - Nichol ($550k? - $650k?)

????? - Pietrangelo (????? - $6.25m?)
Jackman - Shattenkirk ($3.25m - $4.75m?)
Russell - Polák ($1.5m? - $3.1m)
Cole ($1.5m?)

Halák ($4.5m)
Allen ($1m?)

Some of the deals might come out at a little more, some at a little less, but I don't think any of the numbers are really that outlandish. That would see our salary bill at around $57.5m without any potential backloading of the RFA contracts and with that 1 LHD spot to fill.

But to be honest, I expect we'll continue to backload contracts and we'll be at around $54m total for that line up next season. So we would have space to add a LHD, but it will create headaches going forward. However, we'd be able to move a winger in the summer of 2014 to make way for Rattie/Jaškin (saving ~$3m) and hopefully Hakanpää could make Polák a trade chip as well (saving ~$2m).

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Not sure what the Rivermen franchise is worth, but it occurs to me that:
- long-term its better to control the AHL affiliate for developing players, so that's a negative (selling the Rivermen)

- Short term maybe it raises enough money to bankroll one more pricey roster player?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Not sure what the Rivermen franchise is worth, but it occurs to me that:
- long-term its better to control the AHL affiliate for developing players, so that's a negative (selling the Rivermen)

- Short term maybe it raises enough money to bankroll one more pricey roster player?

Selling the Rivermen would raise how much? $6m maybe? That is only really an attractive option if we are losing a small fortune in Peoria.

Even then, I would imagine that Stillman would rather just move the it to somewhere that might be more profitable. Particularly with the influx of talent that we are going to have invested in the AHL from next season onwards.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I would try and do something around Vlasic+Pavs for Stewart+Jaskin+1st, or Stewart+Cole+Jaskin+2nd, or even Stewart+Cole+1st. Not sure if that would be enough for San Jose, but I don't want to trade two of our top 9 wingers without for sure knowing we could get Briere. The Briere trade would have to be first imo.

I highly doubt Jaskin and Stewart go. If Stewart goes we need Jaskin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad