Blues Trade Proposals Part 4

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Possible center targets I have in mind are Pavelski, Filppula, Ribeiro, Anisimov, Little, and Burmistrov. All would have different asking prices, but nothing too unreasonable.

I'd really want to know what the asking price for Burmistrov would be. He is getting scratched now, and I don't really think that is fair on his performance so far, but they are winning. His offensive game still needs to come together, but he is a solid defensive player and physical.

I expect they would want something around Berglund for Burmistrov though...

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Possible center targets I have in mind are Pavelski, Filppula, Ribeiro, Anisimov, Little, and Burmistrov. All would have different asking prices, but nothing too unreasonable.

I may be in the minority, but if Pavelski were signed for longer I would consider a deal based around him and Oshie. I like Oshie a lot, but Pavelski would give us three excellent centers and open up some space on right wing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sounds like the Flames are interested in Read. We can probably take Giordano off our list as the Flames will continue to not do an actual rebuild. I'd also imagine Stewart is clearly not available since the Flames have 2 defensemen that would from an ability wise work for us.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Given the Penguin's need/desire for a winger for Crosby and our need for a minute chewing LHD, how off-base is a trade based on Stewart and Orpik?

Orpik is regressing, so doesn't make much sense.

Pittsburgh's problem is defense, so if they are offering defense, it's probably because they aren't very good anymore.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So Redden hasn't had a "minus" game since that LA disaster, so does anyone think we really need to get a defenseman at the deadline? Redden has been getting limites, but that could be due to special teams, and situations when we are either winning or losing and Russell or Polak get more minutes.

Our situation isn't ideal, but unless we get a gift of a deal, I don't see Armstrong doing anything.

Ideally we could play both LA and Chicago before the deadline to see if this lineup with the way they are playing can beat those teams.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Allen maintains the starter role and has a good playoffs, do you think we'd consider moving Halak and expect Allen to follow Cam Ward's path or do you think we stay conservative in fear of Allen turning into another Steve Mason? Although Mason's stats were boosted by his shutouts, and when he didn't get a shutout he wasn't that impressive.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Given the Penguin's need/desire for a winger for Crosby and our need for a minute chewing LHD, how off-base is a trade based on Stewart and Orpik?

Blues can't afford to give up Stewart's size and toughness up top. They would miss him more than people realize. Remember, this isn't last years Stewart we are talking about. This years Stewart is Iginla-light.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Blues can't afford to give up Stewart's size and toughness up top. They would miss him more than people realize. Remember, this isn't last years Stewart we are talking about. This years Stewart is Iginla-light.

I would do something more around Despres and one of their LHD surplus they have in their system like Morrow that are ready. Maybe a top six for Bennett, Despres, and Morrow/Demoulin/Samuelsson deal. We'd be set for the next 5 years on LHD and have partners for both Pietro and Shatty. Bennett looks like a potential top 6 player as well. You ask why the Pens would do this? they just lost a couple prospects of theirs do to a surplus and they signed elsewhere. They are flooded with defensive NHL ready prospects.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
So Redden hasn't had a "minus" game since that LA disaster, so does anyone think we really need to get a defenseman at the deadline? Redden has been getting limites, but that could be due to special teams, and situations when we are either winning or losing and Russell or Polak get more minutes.

Our situation isn't ideal, but unless we get a gift of a deal, I don't see Armstrong doing anything.

Ideally we could play both LA and Chicago before the deadline to see if this lineup with the way they are playing can beat those teams.

Yes. A good game for Redden is him not making one or two egregious mistakes. He's not anything close to a reliable top 4 defenseman that is going to be close to mistake-free defensively against quality competition in the playoffs. Which is the only thing the Blues need in a top 4 defenseman. He will not be able to provide that stable, rock solid, defensive element on a game to game basis.

The Blues chances for a solid post-season run go up dramatically with a better second pairing defenseman. Unfortunately, they aren't a lot of sellers and the buyers are all looking for the same pieces and raising the costs. It also doesn't help that a potential seller like Winnipeg is now suddenly playing well and much less inclined to move the bodies that are helping fuel their run up the standings, even if they're UFA.

Ron Hainsey is a good example of what could be a really solid addition (his game this season has been described as exactly what I wrote above, "rock solid") but suddenly the Jets are playing well and their GM won't move him unless he gets offered a premium price (which according to the Winnipeg paper is now pegged as a 1st rounder). Their schedule is pretty easy leading up to April 3rd and they could very easily be leading their division by the trade deadline.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yes. A good game for Redden is him not making one or two egregious mistakes. He's not anything close to a reliable top 4 defenseman that is going to be close to mistake-free defensively against quality competition in the playoffs. Which is the only thing the Blues need in a top 4 defenseman. He will not be able to provide that stable, rock solid, defensive element on a game to game basis.

The Blues chances for a solid post-season run go up dramatically with a better second pairing defenseman. Unfortunately, they aren't a lot of sellers and the buyers are all looking for the same pieces and raising the costs. It also doesn't help that a potential seller like Winnipeg is now suddenly playing well and much less inclined to move the bodies that are helping fuel their run up the standings, even if they're UFA.

Ron Hainsey is a good example of what could be a really solid addition (his game this season has been described as exactly what I wrote above, "rock solid") but suddenly the Jets are playing well and their GM won't move him unless he gets offered a premium price (which according to the Winnipeg paper is now pegged as a 1st rounder). Their schedule is pretty easy leading up to April 3rd and they could very easily be leading their division by the trade deadline.

I personally don't buy Hainsey being that much of an upgrade over Redden. Hainsey isn't physical, wouldn't play on the PP, might be used on the PK, but that's debatable, maybe Shatty wouldn't play on the PK as much if Hainsey came.

So it comes down to even strength, and if Redden continues to play mistake free hockey like he has, Hainsey won't really improve us. IMO Redden has only been bad during the horrific stretch that the entire team had.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I would do something more around Despres and one of their LHD surplus they have in their system like Morrow that are ready. Maybe a top six for Bennett, Despres, and Morrow/Demoulin/Samuelsson deal. We'd be set for the next 5 years on LHD and have partners for both Pietro and Shatty. Bennett looks like a potential top 6 player as well. You ask why the Pens would do this? they just lost a couple prospects of theirs do to a surplus and they signed elsewhere. They are flooded with defensive NHL ready prospects.

The most we could likely get out of Pittsburgh would be Després, 1st and a project prospect like Oskar Sundqvist.

They aren't giving up their only real cost controlled winger with top-6 upside when they have raises to Letang and Malkin coming up, and there is no way they move both Morrow and Després in the 1 deal. They have plenty of defensive prospects, but some are much closer than others and Morrow, Després and Harrington are the best ones at this point.

Zero interest in giving up Stewart though.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
The most we could likely get out of Pittsburgh would be Després, 1st and a project prospect like Oskar Sundqvist.

They aren't giving up their only real cost controlled winger with top-6 upside when they have raises to Letang and Malkin coming up, and there is no way they move both Morrow and Després in the 1 deal. They have plenty of defensive prospects, but some are much closer than others and Morrow, Després and Harrington are the best ones at this point.

Zero interest in giving up Stewart though.

Not Stewart, but a cost controlled winger like Perron. You might be surprised. They had to trade Lovejoy for one. There have been more they had to move. Just a thought. You may be surprised for the right piece of the puzzle for them.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I personally don't buy Hainsey being that much of an upgrade over Redden. Hainsey isn't physical, wouldn't play on the PP, might be used on the PK, but that's debatable, maybe Shatty wouldn't play on the PK as much if Hainsey came.

So it comes down to even strength, and if Redden continues to play mistake free hockey like he has, Hainsey won't really improve us. IMO Redden has only been bad during the horrific stretch that the entire team had.

Well, I really disagree with that take since Redden hasn't been anywhere close to mistake-free.

And more significantly, if you swapped Redden into Hainsey's role this season with Winnipeg and Redden was forced to play almost 24 minutes a night against excellent competition as a result of injuries to Winnipeg's top 4 d-men there is no way Redden, at this stage in his career, would be able to handle that workload and responsibility.

Hainsey has had a really excellent year defensively at even strength and he plays over 3 mins a game on the PK. He would be a fairly large upgrade if he plays for the Blues like he 's done for the Jets this year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well, I really disagree with that take since Redden hasn't been anywhere close to mistake-free.

And more significantly, if you swapped Redden into Hainsey's role this season with Winnipeg and Redden was forced to play almost 24 minutes a night against excellent competition as a result of injuries to Winnipeg's top 4 d-men there is no way Redden, at this stage in his career, would be able to handle that workload and responsibility.

Hainsey has had a really excellent year defensively at even strength and he plays over 3 mins a game on the PK. He would be a fairly large upgrade if he plays for the Blues like he 's done for the Jets this year.

We don't need someone to play 24+ minutes though, so who cares about how Redden would perform in Hainsey's role.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Not Stewart, but a cost controlled winger like Perron. You might be surprised. They had to trade Lovejoy for one. There have been more they had to move. Just a thought. You may be surprised for the right piece of the puzzle for them.

Després, Bennett and Morrow is their equivalent of Schwartz, Jaškin & Rattie. I'm sure that the Penguins will give up a lot in the right deal, and I would listen to their offer for Perron, and it might be more than I expect... but it won't be that much more!

I think the Penguins are a pretty risky trade partner though. If we are sure about Després, then I'll happily take Després+... but we could get someone more proven for the asset cost.

We don't need someone to play 24+ minutes though, so who cares about how Redden would perform in Hainsey's role.

Once we are in the playoffs it does become more difficult to play the protection game with our defensemen. We are getting by with Redden, and he is doing well in the role being asked of him. Ideally, we need to add someone before the deadline if we are really serious about a Cup run this year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If we can't resign Stewart, Bennett and Despres/Morrow for Stewart could make sense at the draft, but I don't know if Pittsburgh would do it though.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Després, Bennett and Morrow is their equivalent of Schwartz, Jaškin & Rattie. I'm sure that the Penguins will give up a lot in the right deal, and I would listen to their offer for Perron, and it might be more than I expect... but it won't be that much more!

I think the Penguins are a pretty risky trade partner though. If we are sure about Després, then I'll happily take Després+... but we could get someone more proven for the asset cost.

I agree with you, but we would have cost controlled assets for a few years too that would help us out with the budget contraints we will have. Hopefully between two of the D in the deal and Edmundson, we will get two of our top 4 to pan out as partners with Pietro and Shatty.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Armstrong, McDonald, and 2 scouts are at the Buffalo/Montreal game. Probably scouting some of the rentals that Buffalo has.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Probably evaluating Robyn Regehr if they're looking at Buffalo. UFA, prorated 4M is less than a million. 2d round pick is probably the most Buffalo would get, plus maybe a conditional middle pick if Regehr re-signs with his acquiring team.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Armstrong, McDonald, and 2 scouts are at the Buffalo/Montreal game. Probably scouting some of the rentals that Buffalo has.
FWIW St. Louis scouts have been in attendance at the last three, maybe more, Buffalo games, as they were noticed in Buffalo on Saturday, DC on Sunday and now today in Montreal .. but then again, there's the GM meetings in Toronto tomorrow and this is one of the closest games for early arrivals seeing that the Leafs don't play tonight.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Probably evaluating Robyn Regehr if they're looking at Buffalo. UFA, prorated 4M is less than a million. 2d round pick is probably the most Buffalo would get, plus maybe a conditional middle pick if Regehr re-signs with his acquiring team.

Or Leopold. Leopold better fits with the other players we have shown interest in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad