Blues Trade Proposals 2021-2022 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Barbashev's value is probably similar to Copp. I don't see him being moved, we just won't be able to get a return greater than the value he'll bring the club next season.

While I don't think he'll score like he did in that stretch earlier in the season, he does have 15 points in his past 20 games. No reason even after a regression to mean that he can't bring a Saad like contribution over a full season of 40-50 points. He's at an 82 game pace of 59 points, which I doubt he repeats in future years.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If we were to trade Barbashev in the offseason, what do you think he would be worth?
He's one of those guys that is worth more to his current team than anyone would be willing to pay for him, especially with just one year left before he is a UFA. He is one of a small group of players that you allow to reach free agency and hope that the market is softer than the player thinks. If someone throws big money at him you wish him well. If not, you welcome him back at a reasonable price. I wouldn't be offering him more than $4M a year at this point on his next extension, and that's only if he's willing to go no more than 2 years. If he's looking for term, I'm not offering more than $3M but willing to go just a little higher if necessary. Ultimately, I think Army tells his agent that we need to see him do this again next year before we look at any combination of big money and big term.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He's one of those guys that is worth more to his current team than anyone would be willing to pay for him, especially with just one year left before he is a UFA. He is one of a small group of players that you allow to reach free agency and hope that the market is softer than the player thinks. If someone throws big money at him you wish him well. If not, you welcome him back at a reasonable price. I wouldn't be offering him more than $4M a year at this point on his next extension, and that's only if he's willing to go no more than 2 years. If he's looking for term, I'm not offering more than $3M but willing to go just a little higher if necessary. Ultimately, I think Army tells his agent that we need to see him do this again next year before we look at any combination of big money and big term.
I’d sell high on him. He isn’t someone who drives line so can’t afford to pay him. Cash him in to give us assets and cap room to upgrade on D.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
My thinking is that there is going to be subtraction from the forward group so that we can upgrade the defense. If Barbashev puts up 40-50 points again next season I definitely see him making 4 plus on his next deal. We can’t keep all of Barbashev, Thomas, Kyrou, Perron, Tarasenko, and ROR and upgrade the defense with the salary cap.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
My thinking is that there is going to be subtraction from the forward group so that we can upgrade the defense. If Barbashev puts up 40-50 points again next season I definitely see him making 4 plus on his next deal. We can’t keep all of Barbashev, Thomas, Kyrou, Perron, Tarasenko, and ROR and upgrade the defense with the salary cap.
Another thing that has to be considered though is that Barbashev is 26. He's always going to be only a complimentary player, but if him and Toro are nice complimentary pieces to guys like Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Neighbours, Bolduc, etc., then that's starting to look like a solid group of young players that can keep us competitive for years. You also got Parayko who is still just 28 and Husso 27.

Basically I'm of the opinion that while our best shot for the Cup may be in the next 2 years, we aren't going rebuild after that. If Armstrong plays his cards right we should be set up to remain competitive. Perron, Tarasenko, ROR are obviously all much better players than Barbashev but at what cost will it take to re-sign them?

If Barbie needs to be included in a package for a LHD or something we need, absolutely I'd do so. Or if his contract demands get ridiculous then he can GTFO. But just presenting other factors that may see him as a guy we keep while we let older players go.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If we can extend Barbashev for Saadish money, and he produces Saad like numbers next season, I'd absolutely keep him. There are other players that we should look to move before him to create cap space for a LHD upgrade.

We'll get more clarity this summer with what happens to Perron, and then ROR and Tarasenko with 1 year left. I imagine Army already has an idea of what players will be kept, what their asking prices could be, and who he's willing to let walk.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If we can extend Barbashev for Saadish money, and he produces Saad like numbers next season, I'd absolutely keep him. There are other players that we should look to move before him to create cap space for a LHD upgrade.

We'll get more clarity this summer with what happens to Perron, and then ROR and Tarasenko with 1 year left. I imagine Army already has an idea of what players will be kept, what their asking prices could be, and who he's willing to let walk.
Disagree. Saad has much longer history of offensive production. Can only pay so many complimentary players.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I’d sell high on him. He isn’t someone who drives line so can’t afford to pay him. Cash him in to give us assets and cap room to upgrade on D.

I agree. I love Barby, but he probably outpriced himself out of our range with his good play this season. If he continues like this next season and hits UFA, I can easily see other teams offer him something in the 4-4.5 million range. That's not something we can and should compete with as we need that cap at other positions. This offseason is the time to sell high. Maybe we can pack him with Tarasenko for a really good left handed defender. Barbashev alone is worth a 1st + decent prospect IMO.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Disagree. Saad has much longer history of offensive production. Can only pay so many complimentary players.
That's why I qualified it with another year of similar production. If Barbie produces 40+ points next season, then I'm confident in him being a 40-50 point guy moving forward from that point.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That's why I qualified it with another year of similar production. If Barbie produces 40+ points next season, then I'm confident in him being a 40-50 point guy moving forward from that point.
Even if he is, I still don't think we can afford that going forward. Need to price in big raises for Thomas and Kyrou after next year. Want to keep ROR if possible. Need D upgrade. Just don't see how we pay him $4.5mm or so without losing someone more important.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Even if he is, I still don't think we can afford that going forward. Need to price in big raises for Thomas and Kyrou after next year. Want to keep ROR if possible. Need D upgrade. Just don't see how we pay him $4.5mm or so without losing someone more important.
A lot depends on Thomas and Kyrou too. Thomas is already playing a pretty complete game, so if he is near ppg production again, I honestly don't know if we can keep all the big priced tag players anyway. Or what happens with goaltending situation. To me, there are too many unknowns to really project what our exact roster will look like 2 seasons from now.

We definitely will lose some people though.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Barbashev has had the worst defensive impact on the team each of the last 3 seasons. This would be a great time to sell high.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Simon Edvinsson & Detroit 1st (top-3 protected) or Jake Sanderson & Ottawa 1st (top-3 protected) or Luke Hughes & NJ 1st (top-3 protected)

for Kyrou, Perunovich & STL 1st

Doubt any of the rebuilding clubs would be interested; but it would fix some payroll issues moving forward and rebalance the depth for the Blues.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I know this doesn't mean a whole lot but in a trade thread on the main board there are already fans of a couple teams (Detroit & Anaheim) that say they'd be interested in Scandella.

Hopefully he's not too hard to move in the offseason.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I know this doesn't mean a whole lot but in a trade thread on the main board there are already fans of a couple teams (Detroit & Anaheim) that say they'd be interested in Scandella.

I expect over the summer if we wanted to move him we could get a pick for him. 3rd or 4th maybe?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I've said this a ton, but I just don't understand why so many Blues fans insist that Scandella has negative trade value. He's not a top pair guy and he can't be the backbone of a 2nd pair. But he's absolutely capable as a complimentary guy on a 2nd pair or as the rock of a defensive 3rd pair. As the 106th highest paid D man in the league, he isn't out-earning that type of contribution. 2 more years of term isn't bad and his trade protection isn't robust (7 team no-trade list).

This season he's playing just shy of 18 minutes a night and he he's +14 despite getting heavy defensive usage. He's been a plus player in each of his 3 years as a Blue and is a +32 overall in that stretch. +/- is far from a great stat and requires context. However, it can be informative with the right context. Being a plus player over a large sample is a good thing. Being a plus player relative to your teammates is a good thing. He's 6th on this team in +/- and was 2nd last year. He isn't an offensive guy, but his 16 point pace is passable for a guy whose job is solely preventing goals. He plays 2:17 a night on the league's 6th best PK, which is more than any other player on the team (although he's 5 total minutes a night behind Prayko/Bortz due to fewer games played).

He's far from a perfect D man, but he is a perfectly fin #4/5 NHL D man and that is exactly how he is paid. I just don't get this notion that he is a boat anchor that needs to be fired into the sun.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'd put it this way:
Dealing Sundqvist created cap space, and was the main reason for the trade. Getting Leddy as a rental was a good move, too, but I doubt anyone in the organization is viewing this as a long-term move planning to re-sign him for top pairing duties.

However, Husso as a tandem goalie may have eclipsed the top-pairing defense in terms of where the available cap space will be allocated as a priority. No one would argue with this. (OK, ONE person would argue with this and would go with Lindgren.)

Maybe they'll do something like move Scandella, re-sign Leddy for a smaller role and acquire Chychrun in a big trade that involves mainly futures. Resign Husso and spend more than we all prefer at goalie, while hopefully Binnington rehabilitates his value. Depends whether Mikkola is a total bust or just over his head. That also may mean that Perron has to walk.

Reactions: mk80 and Blueston

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
What kind of contract are you giving Husso? If he pulls a Binnington next year you’re really screwed with two bloated and un-movable contracts.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What kind of contract are you giving Husso? If he pulls a Binnington next year you’re really screwed with two bloated and un-movable contracts.
Husso won't get anything longer than 2 or 3 years, so term won't be an issue. He'll probably be around 3ishM. Now if he plays a significant part in winning at least 2 playoff rounds, then his cost will go up a decent amount IMO.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Husso won't get anything longer than 2 or 3 years, so term won't be an issue. He'll probably be around 3ishM. Now if he plays a significant part in winning at least 2 playoff rounds, then his cost will go up a decent amount IMO.
If I were Husso, I'd test the UFA market if 3x3 was the Blues' offer. I think he can beat that on the open market and even if he doesn't beat it he could go somewhere with better defensive structure and/or a clearer path to a long term #1 job.

Anton Forsberg just got $2.75M x 3. Vejmelka got $2.725M x 3. Cal Peterson got $5M x 3 before this year started (.916 through 54 games). Merzlikins got $4M x 2 after his 31 game rookie season and then got a $5.4M x 5 extension after his sophomore season.

There are enough small-sample-sized comps for him to push for a desperate team to make a reckless offer to him. He's be foolish not to try and max out this deal. He's made NHL minimum the last 2 years and was on a 2 way deal (and largely in the AHL) before that. He needs to maximize his earnings on the next deal and if he isn't getting a great offer from the Blues he should absolutely use UFA to get himself that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad