Blues Trade Proposals 2021-2022 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
Y'all can flame me for this thought, and I'll totally understand. But...should Army consider selling Husso at the deadline? Value will be high, especially to someone that has the need and money to extend him long term. As awesome as he has been, he's still a pending UFA and we don't have the money to extend him at his current level of play.

I know that could impact our ceiling this year, but here's the reality - Binner's won a Cup before, and you play the $6M man when the puck drops in the first round.

Reactions: Admos

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Y'all can flame me for this thought, and I'll totally understand. But...should Army consider selling Husso at the deadline? Value will be high, especially to someone that has the need and money to extend him long term. As awesome as he has been, he's still a pending UFA and we don't have the money to extend him at his current level of play.

I know that could impact our ceiling this year, but here's the reality - Binner's won a Cup before, and you play the $6M man when the puck drops in the first round.
He doesn't have the Value to make a trade with it.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
He doesn't have the Value to make a trade with it.
When he walks in the summer, the Blues get nothing. If they trade him at the deadline for anything, that's more than they get if they go through Door B.

And I would argue that he definitely has value right now. Don't see why he couldn't fetch a 2nd round pick from a team with both an immediate and long-term need in net.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
When he walks in the summer, the Blues get nothing. If they trade him at the deadline for anything, that's more than they get if they go through Door B.

And I would argue that he definitely has value right now. Don't see why he couldn't fetch a 2nd round pick from a team with both an immediate and long-term need in net.

He's worth more to the team right now than a 2nd.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

What has he done for this massive pay raise? He's played less than 15 games this year and only 5 of those games were against playoff teams. Yes he's doing well. But I highly doubt he's getting this 3-4mil contract everyone's claiming.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Goalies just don't carry much value in trades, especially someone like Husso.

The scenario that I'm hoping for is Husso is open to coming back for about 2 years 2ishM, but I could definitely see him taking a similar deal somewhere else where he has a better shot at winning the starting job permanently. And we'd be able to do that by letting Perron walk, trading Tarasenko, and my other ideal scenario would be convincing Kuzmenko to play with Buchnevich and Barbashev. I suppose. It's definitely risky, but having a quality backup is important, and if we could convince Kuzmenko, then we add some upside to the forwards after moving talent out.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019

The scenario that I'm hoping for is Husso is open to coming back for about 2 years 2ishM, but I could definitely see him taking a similar deal somewhere else where he has a better shot at winning the starting job permanently. And we'd be able to do that by letting Perron walk, trading Tarasenko, and my other ideal scenario would be convincing Kuzmenko to play with Buchnevich and Barbashev. I suppose. It's definitely risky, but having a quality backup is important, and if we could convince Kuzmenko, then we add some upside to the forwards after moving talent out.
I could definitely jive with this. I agree that we're going to be unable to keep Perron, and Vladi will be traded this summer. Tying up $8M in a Binner-Husso tandem would be dynamite.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Worked out pretty well the last time the Blues traded a netminder for a 2nd round pick.

It's a tough decision for Armstrong to make for sure.
And the time before that we got Tommy Vannelli unless some GM offers a first its not worth trading him. Goaltenders really don't have value like young forwards or defenders.

ArenaRat

Jan 19, 2022
Nola

He's likely growing more confident by the day that he could eventually take over as the Blues #1, and (in his mind), 2 years should be more than enough to do it. Knowing this team as he does, and feeling how good it can be playing with these guys, what better situation could there be in the league? If I'm Husso, I'm only passing on a 2 year deal in STL for a really juicy opportunity. And if I'm DA, no way I'm dealing Husso at the deadline with Binnington looking shaky (and even if he gets back on track). We have a team that can compete with anyone, and it's unlikely anyone gives up enough at the deadline to price in Husso's potential. So I think a 2 year deal has a shot, and that would be a win-win.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's likely growing more confident by the day that he could eventually take over as the Blues #1, and (in his mind), 2 years should be more than enough to do it. Knowing this team as he does, and feeling how good it can be playing with these guys, what better situation could there be in the league? If I'm Husso, I'm only passing on a 2 year deal in STL for a really juicy opportunity. And if I'm DA, no way I'm dealing Husso at the deadline with Binnington looking shaky (and even if he gets back on track). We have a team that can compete with anyone, and it's unlikely anyone gives up enough at the deadline to price in Husso's potential. So I think a 2 year deal has a shot, and that would be a win-win.
He'll get an opportunity where his competition isn't in a long-term deal with a sizable cap hit, and that'll give him a much better chance at becoming a starter. If he's content with being in a tandem of a premium backup role, then great, but if he wants to start, he'll leave.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If someone offers a 1st, I think you're dumb not to jump at that. Anything less though and it's kinda eh. why bother.
As an organization we seen to place little value on any pick outside top 40 or so. We have pretty much never dealt anyone unless they can return pick in top 50. And we always seem to have few picks bc we have routinely dealt lower picks for guys to take flyers on (yak, soshnikov, that awful defenseman who played like 1 game for us). So unless we get back pick in top 50 (or someone who can help us now), I would be absolutely shocked if we dealt Husso.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
As an organization we seen to place little value on any pick outside top 40 or so. We have pretty much never dealt anyone unless they can return pick in top 50. And we always seem to have few picks bc we have routinely dealt lower picks for guys to take flyers on (yak, soshnikov, that awful defenseman who played like 1 game for us). So unless we get back pick in top 50 (or someone who can help us now), I would be absolutely shocked if we dealt Husso.
Gusarov?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I don't think that offer is enticing enough for him to sign it before the offseason. We'll have to make it worth his while, otherwise he has nothing to lose by waiting a few months to see what other offers are out there.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Re need to upgrade Mikkola/Scandella and move Parayko to the second pair with the new partner. Give Faulk and Krug more minutes (mainly Faulk) and send Parayko to live with Pronger in his dungeon of Defensive torture.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
What has he done for this massive pay raise? He's played less than 15 games this year and only 5 of those games were against playoff teams. Yes he's doing well. But I highly doubt he's getting this 3-4mil contract everyone's claiming.

The scenario that I'm hoping for is Husso is open to coming back for about 2 years 2ishM, but I could definitely see him taking a similar deal somewhere else where he has a better shot at winning the starting job permanently.

If he hit the market today, he doesn't get a massive raise. But he isn't, so for now we are projecting his value. If his hot streak ends and then he looks like a backup for 2+ months, then the conversation about needing to keep him will disappear. We'll look at him a decent backup who can get hot for a couple months move on. But if he continues to look good the rest of the year, then we will be looking at a guy with a 30+ game sample at .925+ SV%.

Nedellkovic played 23 regular season games at .932 and 9 playoff games at a .920. Prior to that 4 NHL starts. He got 2 years at $3M AAV as an RFA.

Adin Hill had 49 games with Arizona spread over 4 seasons. He posted a .909 overall, with a .913 (in 19 games played) last year and .918 (in 13 games played) the year before that. He got 2 years at $2.175M AAV as an RFA.

Brossoit had 82 career games played and 65 starts over 2 teams and 7 seasons when he hit UFA for the first time last summer. I feel comfortable saying that his sub-.900 SV% over 4 seasons in Edmonton through his early 20s were largely irrelevant to teams bidding on him this summer. Just looking at his time in Winnipeg, he played in 54 totals games (45 starts) with a .913. He never hit 20 starts in a season and he got 2 years at $2.325M AAV as a UFA.

Driedger had 35 games played (34 starts) over 2 seasons in Florida. He posted an awesome .931, went nto the playoffs as the #1 last season and promptly got lit up and replaced. He was selected by Seattle at the expansion draft and got 3 years at $3.5M and a limited NTC as a pending UFA.

Those are the recent comps for guys who hit free agency with a limited proof of concept. The two guys who had simply proven to be backups got 2 years at $2.175M and $2.325M. The two guys who posted great numbers and at least briefly took over the net got $3M+. The RFA got 2 years at $3M while the UFA got a 3rd year and hit $3.5M.

If Husso takes and holds the net for the remainder of the season, he will be looking for (and very likely get) a contract like Driedger's. Better if he has some playoff success and/or continues his ludicrous level of play. If his play dips enough that he and Binner are a legit tandem for the remainder of the season, then he likely can't demand quite the contract Driedger did. But he's be crazy not to see if there is a market for him at $3M AAV on a 2 year deal. If his play dips enough that he is relegated to pure backup (less than 15 starts between now and the end of the year), then he is probably looking at deals like Hill and Brossoit got. If that happens, then I'm not sure why the organization would be looking to create a 2 year roadblock for Hofer after Husso was deemed too unreliable.

Husso would be crazy to take 2 years at $2M at the moment. His play needs to massively fall off in order to not get offered that somewhere this summer. He's looking at double those total dollars if he can be an average-to-slightly-above-average goalie over the next few months. Potentially triple those total dollars if he's noticeably above average and wins a playoff round as a #1. He has every reason to bet on himself with very little risk beyond injury. And if his play falls down enough that he's looking at $2M AAV offers, then it no longer makes sense for the Blues to keep him.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
All of those guys had a significantly better resume than Husso. Sure, if Husso ends the season with a near split of the starts with Binnington, resulting in 25-30+ starts, and a .925-.930+ sv%, then he'll be a better comp to those guys. Nedeljkovic also had 9 playoff starts last year with great numbers, so if Husso wins the starting job for the playoffs and performs, then yes, he'll get more money.

I personally think it's silly to just assume that Husso will finish the season with 25-30 starts and numbers that demand $3M+ on a multi year deal. A desperate team might offer him that, but it wouldn't be a good idea. This is just like the Barbashev stuff, where you shouldn't just make the assumption that their current level of performance will just continue the rest of the season or is close to their new base level of performance when we know it's an outlier on their ability.

And your comps don't even disagree with what I posted, 2 years and 2ishM is right in line with everything you posted. So, chill with these novel posts where you are just nitpicking where there is hardly a disagreement to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad