Blues Trade Proposals 2020-21 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Any team acquiring Eichel could conceivably LTIR and rehab him all season after letting him have his ADR-procedure, in hopes of having him healthy prior to the start of the playoffs. Could the Blues survive a season w/o Thomas, knowing they have a long-term, young replacement for top-6 center duties?

Regular Season:
Kyrou-ROR-Perron
Neighbors/Neal-Schenn-Buchnevich
Saad-Bozak-Tarasenko
Clifford-Joshua/Brown-Barby
LTIR: Eichel, Sunqvist

Playoffs:
Schenn-Eichel-Buchnevich
Kyrou-ROR-Perron
Saad-Bozak-Tarasenko
Neal-Sundqvist-Barbashev

To Buffalo: Thomas, 2022 1st (protected top-3), Bolduc/Kostin, conditional 1st ('23 or '24) based on games played or Eichel's perfermance post-surgery.

Give Tarasenko a full year to prove his heath and re-establish some value; and so long as he's dealt by next off-season, the salary cap issues are pretty much resolved.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Any team acquiring Eichel could conceivably LTIR and rehab him all season after letting him have his ADR-procedure, in hopes of having him healthy prior to the start of the playoffs. Could the Blues survive a season w/o Thomas, knowing they have a long-term, young replacement for top-6 center duties?

Regular Season:
Kyrou-ROR-Perron
Saad-Bozak-Tarasenko

Playoffs:
Schenn-Eichel-Buchnevich
Kyrou-ROR-Perron
Saad-Bozak-Tarasenko
Neal-Sundqvist-Barbashev

To Buffalo: Thomas, 2022 1st (protected top-3), Bolduc/Kostin, conditional 1st ('23 or '24) based on games played or Eichel's perfermance post-surgery.

Give Tarasenko a full year to prove his heath and re-establish some value; and so long as he's dealt by next off-season, the salary cap issues are pretty much resolved.

TBH I would go Thomas and 3x 1st's + Kostin. Eichel is a f***ing stud and with the complimentary pieces he would have here it would be awesome to watch. I mean I admit I have no interest in figuring out the cap so I'd leave that up to Army.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The problem with a move for Eichel is that you essentially are creating a huge hole this season and really looking towards next season. Given the age of our vets and the desire by the organization to be competitive, is this the right move? I also wonder about the cap. Tarasenko plus another big contract would have to be on the way out. Does this also limit our ability to shore up the LD?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Regular Season:
Kyrou-ROR-Perron
Saad-Bozak-Tarasenko

Playoffs:
Schenn-Eichel-Buchnevich
Kyrou-ROR-Perron
Saad-Bozak-Tarasenko
Neal-Sundqvist-Barbashev

It honestly doesn't matter if they survive the season without Thomas; they may not survive the season with him. Eichel and Buchnevich are pieces you can be sure are worth retooling around.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The problem with a move for Eichel is that you essentially are creating a huge hole this season and really looking towards next season. Given the age of our vets and the desire by the organization to be competitive, is this the right move? I also wonder about the cap. Tarasenko plus another big contract would have to be on the way out. Does this also limit our ability to shore up the LD?
But if you can make it to the post-season with Bozak as your 3C instead of Thomas; suddenly you get to cheat the system like Kane & and the Hawks and Kucherov & the Lightning by activating Eichel just in time for the post-season, while exceeding the cap by ~$8M/year.

Then - you get four more years of Eichel and Buch...teamed with Perron, ROR, Schenn, Kyrou and whomever you can get for Tarasenko.

fat-guy.gif

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
With the neck injury, anyone who gives up anything of value is taking a huge risk
I wouldn't give up anything but draft picks that are conditional based upon health
anyone who trades lots of value for Eichel without KNOWING his health at this point runs the risk of screwing their franchise for a decade
same reason Valdi wasn't traded, you cannot trade value for a hope and a maybe

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
With the neck injury, anyone who gives up anything of value is taking a huge risk
I wouldn't give up anything but draft picks that are conditional based upon health
anyone who trades lots of value for Eichel without KNOWING his health at this point runs the risk of screwing their franchise for a decade
same reason Valdi wasn't traded, you cannot trade value for a hope and a maybe
Taking basically 2 years off is a tall order for any player to recover from. That’s what Eichel faces, if they do the surgery tomorrow. I really don’t know where this saga goes next, but he’s probably never going to have the career he might have had.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
But if you can make it to the post-season with Bozak as your 3C instead of Thomas; suddenly you get to cheat the system like Kane & and the Hawks and Kucherov & the Lightning by activating Eichel just in time for the post-season, while exceeding the cap by ~$8M/year.

Then - you get four more years of Eichel and Buch...teamed with Perron, ROR, Schenn, Kyrou and whomever you can get for Tarasenko.

fat-guy.gif
How likely is he ready to go by the time playoffs hit and how likely are we to make them without Thomas?

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How likely is he ready to go by the time playoffs hit and how likely are we to make them without Thomas?

Uh-huh.
Army is either determining that...or sitting quietly on the side-lines because Eichel would break his philosophy of building with depth and not high-priced, top-end talent (i.e. Pietrangelo).

He and the organization have never been shy about acquiring premium talent via trade; so who knows. If you can upgrade the roster and improve your chances of winning now AND in the future, that's got to be a consideration regardless of player salary. But it's a huge gamble in the short-term without (1) believing your depth even without Thomas (in the event of injury, for instance) is good enough to beat out 3 or 4 teams in your own division for a playoff spot; and (2) confidence that post-surgery Eichel will be as effective as pre-injury Eichel, or at least close...and immediately. If both of those answers are an affirmative, that would take some major cajones to still pull off the move.

Not just:
paradise-pd-ball.gif

More like:
huge_balls_south_park.gif

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Buffalo won't even let potential trade partners see his medical evals, thats a huge red flag in itself.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
This may seem like sacrilege, but I am curious if Perunovich could not be a key piece in a big trade one day. He has got skill for days, but boy is he small for a defenseman. He could be quite the shiny object to land something significant down the road…

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Any chance they would take Krug if we take all of Jack’s salary? Krug plus obviously..then bring Perunavich up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad