Confirmed with Link: Blues Trade Husso to Detroit

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
A 3rd round pick is the highest draft pick I've ever seen traded for a player's rights as an unrestricted free agent. It's usually a 6th or 7th round pick, so Army did well to get a 3rd.

Also I wouldn't be so sure Lindgren will be handed the backup role next year. I'm guessing they will acquire a guy with more NHL experience to complete for the backup job.
I understand. Was banking on Army pulling off his magic as he usually does. Everyone around here is always so joyous on those occasions when he does fleece a team. I don't get the piling on of hoping it would happen for what I view as a valuable player but butthurting will commence over opinions I guess.

I dunno. Joel Hofer seems to have impressed a lot of people on the farm as well so we seem to have at least two valuable prospects in him and Lindgren. I just look at the cap and don't see outright paying a backup unless Tarasenko goes and a G comes back in trade maybe?

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I understand. Was banking on Army pulling off his magic as he usually does. Everyone around here is always so joyous on those occasions when he does fleece a team. I don't get the piling on of hoping it would happen for what I view as a valuable player but butthurting will commence over opinions I guess.

I dunno. Joel Hofer seems to have impressed a lot of people on the farm as well so we seem to have at least two valuable prospects in him and Lindgren. I just look at the cap and don't see outright paying a backup unless Tarasenko goes and a G comes back in trade maybe?

True, everyone has their opinion and as long as they are respectful then they should be treated with respect in return. Husso was a valuable player and it's no fun seeing good players head elsewhere. I heard an interview with Strickland and he said Armstrong really did see if he could move the money to possibly re-sign Husso (perhaps the reason for the Krug rumors), but he wasn't able to make it work. Unfortunately this was the most likely scenario all along, considering his contract situation and how many teams are desperate for quality goaltending.

Regarding the backup, Strick also mentioned how teams need 2 proven guys in today's NHL and wondered if the Blues would feel confident going with a Binnington/Lindgren or Binner/Hofer tandem. My guess is that they acquire another veteran goalie for around $1-$2 million and let him compete with Hofer for the backup job in camp next year. In the same interview he mentioned that the Habs are shopping Jake Allen, and it could be something the Blues look into but it was pure speculation on his part.

Reactions: eibyyz

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Wings fan here, posted this on trade board, but wanted to get feedback from Blues fans...

Great trade for StL.

Good trade for Det.,

1. medium risk w/med.to high reward contract. Perfect for our timeline/rebuild phase.

He was the goalie I wanted in UFA as 1a/1b w/Ned, both being unproven starters over even 1 full season.

2. Future starter (til Cossa makes it)

3. potential trade piece later to recoup 3rd+

Wondering if Army made it known to other GM's the asking price was a 3rd & some balked in trade talks (overconfident / underestimating G mkt.)

Also if Husso spoke to other teams (per Army) ?? & chose Detroit.

Fight Night @ The Joe
Bruise Bros. Probert & Kocur, + Grimson later vs. Twist & Chase

1657370288753.png

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It's kind of interesting the Blues and Red Wings have gone from hated rivals to incredibly common trade partners.

I'm fine with the deal overall, good value even if I'm not in love with our goaltending going forward. This teams identity is it's forwards, and keeping Perron is pretty vital imo at the moment.
Probably has more to do with rebuild phase vs. Cup window phase.

Wings are nearing the end of the initial rebuild (about 65%+ complete, still need 2C, 2RW & 1 Top4 LD). STL seem to be in the mid-ish stage of their Cup Window.

So basically our 2 teams are yin-yang timelines so to speak. They counter/balance/complement the other.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Lindgren isn’t really a prospect. He’s 28, just a few months younger than Binnington.

Also, he’s also a pending UFA. He could also easily sign elsewhere or the Blues just decide he’s not the guy they want and try to sign someone more proven.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Wings fan here, posted this on trade board, but wanted to get feedback from Blues fans...

Great trade for StL.

Good trade for Det.,

1. medium risk w/med.to high reward contract. Perfect for our timeline/rebuild phase.

He was the goalie I wanted in UFA as 1a/1b w/Ned, both being unproven starters over even 1 full season.

2. Future starter (til Cossa makes it)

3. potential trade piece later to recoup 3rd+

Wondering if Army made it known to other GM's the asking price was a 3rd & some balked in trade talks (overconfident / underestimating G mkt.)

Also if Husso spoke to other teams (per Army) & chose Detroit.

Fight Night @ The Joe
Bruise Bros. Probert & Kocur, + Grimson later vs. Twist & Chase

View attachment 566601
Yes, good trade by both sides. The Blues got a 3rd (which they turned into a raw but talented Finnish lottery ticket) for a guy they were going to lose in a week anyway. And the Wings secured one of the top names in what was bound to be a competitive UFA goalie market.

And a definite win for Husso too. He’s not on a Cup contender anymore (at least for now) but he just set himself up for life with that contract. He’s still developing too and will only get better. I think he’ll do well for the Wings.

Also, funny story from Chaser there. I miss the days of Probert/Grim Reaper/Twist/Chase…but upon reflection, it’s probably not just them I miss but Hull, Oates, Shannahan, Yzerman, Federov etc. as well.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
True, everyone has their opinion and as long as they are respectful then they should be treated with respect in return. Husso was a valuable player and it's no fun seeing good players head elsewhere. I heard an interview with Strickland and he said Armstrong really did see if he could move the money to possibly re-sign Husso (perhaps the reason for the Krug rumors), but he wasn't able to make it work. Unfortunately this was the most likely scenario all along, considering his contract situation and how many teams are desperate for quality goaltending.

Regarding the backup, Strick also mentioned how teams need 2 proven guys in today's NHL and wondered if the Blues would feel confident going with a Binnington/Lindgren or Binner/Hofer tandem. My guess is that they acquire another veteran goalie for around $1-$2 million and let him compete with Hofer for the backup job in camp next year. In the same interview he mentioned that the Habs are shopping Jake Allen, and it could be something the Blues look into but it was pure speculation on his part.
I think there’s an extremely good chance we see a veteran goalie brought in on a cheap deal or PTO. The Blues seem to love having competition for spots throughout the lineup and I’m sure they’re not going to go into a season where they view themselves as contenders with a tandem of Binnington/CL or Hofer. At least I’d hope not.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Lindgren seems to be just what we need in the back-up, and we have several good goaltening prospects in the minors.

I wish we could have kept Husso, but it was time for his big payday and we couldn't afford him.

I wish money didn't play such a large role in roster construction. I wish rainwater was beer.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

People are piling on because you are complaining about your lottery ticket not coming in. This was Army magic. Got 3rd for guy who was leaving next week for nothing.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Let's not forget that Detroit's 3rd was 8 picks into the round which is pretty close to a 2nd round pick in my book. Don't think Armstrong could have done much better than he did.

Reactions: LogosBlue

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Lindgren seems to be just what we need in the back-up, and we have several good goaltening prospects in the minors.

I wish we could have kept Husso, but it was time for his big payday and we couldn't afford him.

I wish money didn't play such a large role in roster construction. I wish rainwater was beer.
in chuckie we trust

all aboard the sideburns train, CHOO CHOOOOOOOOOO

sign him army

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I think there’s an extremely good chance we see a veteran goalie brought in on a cheap deal or PTO. The Blues seem to love having competition for spots throughout the lineup and I’m sure they’re not going to go into a season where they view themselves as contenders with a tandem of Binnington/CL or Hofer. At least I’d hope not.
I think they'll bring in competition but Armstrong has handed the backup goalie job before without any competition before.

He did it with Chad Johnson (which was a huge mistake) and Husso in 2020-2021 as well as last year.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
DA Will save money in the backup goaltender role this season and it will be Chuckies or Hofers to lose.

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017

Allen's salary next season is like 3.7MM so it begs the question what was offered to Husso that he declined and how much would MTL eat in order to stay below that budget whatever it was. Plus, I dunno if I want that guy back. Too fragile in the brain.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
A 3rd round pick is the highest draft pick I've ever seen traded for a player's rights as an unrestricted free agent. It's usually a 6th or 7th round pick, so Army did well to get a 3rd.

Also I wouldn't be so sure Lindgren will be handed the backup role next year. I'm guessing they will acquire a guy with more NHL experience to complete for the backup job.
Doesn't Lindgren already have more NHL experience than Husso?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Allen's salary next season is like 3.7MM so it begs the question what was offered to Husso that he declined and how much would MTL eat in order to stay below that budget whatever it was. Plus, I dunno if I want that guy back. Too fragile in the brain.
It would make my day. Get my old bashing boy back.

Shakey Allen snake bitten.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

I would rather just throw Hofer into the fire, if we are going to resurrect the long dead spirits from the crypts.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
It is going to be Tomas Greiss. No terms yet probably because they are doing medicals and crossing all the T’s. Not confirmed yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad