Confirmed with Link: Blues Trade Husso to Detroit

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I guess I just don't get it from Husso's perspective. Why not wait 5 days and see what you can get from the rest of the league? Is Detroit really gonna pull the offer away? If they are offering 4.75 today, why wouldn't they also be offering it 5 days later?

Are they like, okay, we acquired your rights and are willing to pay you 4.75, but this offer only lasts 5 days then you can pound sand.
Ask Pietrangelo

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I guess I just don't get it from Husso's perspective. Why not wait 5 days and see what you can get from the rest of the league? Is Detroit really gonna pull the offer away? If they are offering 4.75 today, why wouldn't they also be offering it 5 days later?

Are they like, okay, we acquired your rights and are willing to pay you 4.75, but this offer only lasts 5 days then you can pound sand.

They might pull the offer. They want a goalie and they want that piece in place ASAP. They are willing to pay a bit extra to make sure that piece is in place ASAP. So if Husso doesn't sign before UFA opens, they could move down the list rather than get in a bidding war or risk coming away with nobody. "Hey, we will give you $4.75M/3 right now. If you want to talk to other teams, that offer stands for as long as we need a goalie, but we will be actively talking to other goalies as well. We feel that is more than fair offer. If you aren't sold on what we are offering, we will have to look elsewhere."

Last edited:

ValHaller

May 23, 2022
St. Louis, MO

Chances he was talking to just Detroit are very slim. Like I said, it's legal tampering since Doug probably had handshake agreements with teams to let them speak with Husso.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010

Good question, I’m guessing it works something like this: GMs agree to what the deal would be if an agreement is reached. Then Detroit talks to Husso and finds out what he wants, makes a pitch about the organization, and makes an offer. If you tell the other team you couldn’t reach an agreement then sign them in free agency you get hit with tampering or at the very least lose trust to do business with other teams.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Chances he was talking to just Detroit are very slim. Like I said, it's legal tampering since Doug probably had handshake agreements with teams to let them speak with Husso.

I'm not saying it was just Detroit. But Doug had already negotiated the price if there was an agreement to any team that got the right to talk to him. If you want to talk to Husso, you will pay a 3rd for his rights when you reach an agreement.

ValHaller

May 23, 2022
St. Louis, MO
I'm not saying it was just Detroit. But Doug had already negotiated the price if there was an agreement to any team that got the right to talk to him. If you want to talk to Husso, you will pay a 3rd for his rights when you reach an agreement.
We're saying the same thing.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Not bad to get something for his rights. Detroit is really loading on Blues, Husso, Sundqvist, Fabbri, and Walman now

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Imagine you're someone that has spent their entire life trying to be an NHL starter and you're like 27 and still haven't made a payday and someone comes along and offers you more money in one year then you've made you're entire life so far. Are you going to risk them rescinding it because you're greedy?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I guess we must have let Detroit have a discussion with him before making the trade.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Its unfortunate for us that it took him so long to develop and finally had his good year immediately before he became a free agent. Would have liked a few more years of real production out of him. Such is life though, goalies are hard to predict. Good luck to him in Detroit and Im glad we got an asset for him.
I have no hard feelings.

We drafted him 94th overall and got 2 NHL seasons out of him at league minimum salary. His contribution this year was a huge reason we made the playoffs. His contribution last year wasn't as important, but he was an adequate backup who went 9-6-1 for a team that was in more of a playoff battle than they expected for the first few months of the season.

And then we snagged the #73 overall pick for him 8 years after his draft season.

That's a resounding success out of a 4th round pick.

Mar 6, 2012
Kaskimaki... don't know anything about him, but good name!

Blues have drafted two players with great names so far.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I have no hard feelings.

We drafted him 94th overall and got 2 NHL seasons out of him at league minimum salary. His contribution this year was a huge reason we made the playoffs. His contribution last year wasn't as important, but he was an adequate backup who went 9-6-1 for a team that was in more of a playoff battle than they expected for the first few months of the season.

And then we snagged the #73 overall pick for him 8 years after his draft season.

That's a resounding success out of a 4th round pick.
I do not believe Husso's play in 2020-2021 was adequate. Part of that has to do with the team overall, but he did not play well.

Otherwise I agree with the rest of your post.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

The goalie market is a game of musical chairs. There are X goalies with starter potential on the market and Y teams who need a guy with starter potential. Once a team signs a goalie, they are then out of the market. It isn't like other positions where teams are happy to pay good players even if they already have a good player at that position.

Going to the open market as a potential starter carries some risk that there are no more chairs when the music stops and then you go from asking for starter money to asking for tandem or high end backup money. If a team is offering legit starter money before the game even starts, you take it. If Husso rejects their offer to test UFA and then Detroit signs Campbell, their offer is off the table. There is a very real chance that their offer evaporates because they aren't just going to wait around and do nothing to solve their goalie issue.

Husso might have been able to get a better offer after the start of free agency. But I doubt it would have been much better. Anything with a 4 year term at a comparable AAV would have him competing with Kuemper and Campbell, who have longer track records. If the Wild trade Talbot, that might take another team out of the marketplace. Realistically, he probably wasn't going to beat this offer by a wide margin and there was tangible risk that the market would evaporate around him if he waited.

He's made about $2M in his career and almost all of his earnings came in the 2 years where escrow was the highest it has ever been. $14.25M sets him up financially for the rest of his life no matter what happens the rest of his career. Even if he implodes this year and gets bought out, he is going to make $10M+ as a result of signing this contract. This contract was just about his best-case scenario in the UFA market and eliminated all future risk today.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I do not believe Husso's play in 2020-2021 was adequate. Part of that has to do with the team overall, but he did not play well.

Otherwise I agree with the rest of your post.
I agree that he didn't play well, but he was adequate in the sense that he wasn't single-handedly losing games despite being a rookie making league minimum. He was below league average, but there were 13 goalies with 12+ games played last year with worse SV% at 5 on 5. 17 goalies had a worse GSAA.

If you're investing as little as you are allowed to invest in the backup position and giving that job to a guy with zero NHL experience, all you can reasonably ask is that the guy plays well enough that you can make the playoffs if the starter and the rest of the team does their job. You have to expect pretty sizeable growing pains and just hope that there are enough competent nights to bank points. I think Husso gave us enough of those nights, which is why I describe him as adequate that year.

He wasn't good, but he was good enough to help the team play at a 93 point pace in games he started and he played a big role in the team winning 1 of his 2 relief appearances. We only played at an 88 point pace with Binner in net, so it's not like we had a fantastic team that should have been at a 100+ pace with anyone in net. Binner absolutely got the tougher assignments and I'm not trying to say that Husso outplayed him because he earned a better point pace. We clearly felt a need to score more goals in front of Husso in 2021 and Binner was clearly the better goalie in 2021. But within the context of what our team was that season, Husso did his job as a rookie making league minimum. That's what I meant when I said adequate.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’m not surprised his rights were traded but slightly surprised it ended up being Detroit.

Happy the Blues were able to get something for an asset they were going to lose in a week anyway and happy for Husso for being able to cash in. Good luck to him in Detroit.

Reactions: stl76

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
I understand the move, completely. I don't however, understand how Army only got a 3rd out of it. I know Huss was walking in 5 days but he couldn't have gotten at least a low 1st or 2nd rd pick for him earlier? Man.....I dunno.....

So the “goalie controversy” is over and Binny won.
far from it. Chucky most likely is coming up next season and when he inevitably shines in his rather few starts, Blues fans will be back once again to the goalie controversy threads. I'm not saying I am in favor of either or (I do think competition brings out the best in goalies) but that's been the running history here.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I understand the move, completely. I don't however, understand how Army only got a 3rd out of it. I know Huss was walking in 5 days but he couldn't have gotten at least a low 1st or 2nd rd pick for him earlier? Man.....I dunno.....

far from it. Chucky most likely is coming up next season and when he inevitably shines in his rather few starts, Blues fans will be back once again to the goalie controversy threads. I'm not saying I am in favor of either or (I do think competition brings out the best in goalies) but that's been the running history here.

Dude what? How do you think the rights to a UFA goalie is going to fetch a first? I'm starting to question your craftiness.

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
Dude what? How do you think the rights to a UFA goalie is going to fetch a first? I'm starting to question your craftiness.
I don't think. That's Army's job and he's done fantastic work with it. JS I'm underwhelmed by the return is all. Georgiev fetched three picks. Husso was worth most of at least two picks regardless of UFA status. Even Mrazek as a UFA got a decent 2nd rd pick.

Go ahead be a jerk and take things far too seriously. Just a conversation.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't think. That's Army's job and he's done fantastic work with it. JS I'm underwhelmed by the return is all. Georgiev fetched three picks. Husso was worth most of at least two picks regardless of UFA status. Even Mrazek as a UFA got a decent 2nd rd pick.

Wtf? Georgie’s was RFA so rangers controlled him. Husso was UFA so Detroit couid have just waited a week. And mrazek? When was he traded as UFA? Toronto just paid a 1st to make him go away.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

What are you talking about? Mrazek's UFA rights have never been traded, especially for a 2nd.

He's been traded twice

This year
Mrazek+25th Overall for 38th Overall

Mrazek for 2 3rd rounders.

Most UFA rights barely even get a 4th, and if your lucky you can get a 3rd.

Reactions: tfriede2

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

Husso was a UFA and would've left in a few days without the Blues getting anything in return.

Georgiev was a RFA and under team control still.

Way different situations.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

A 3rd round pick is the highest draft pick I've ever seen traded for a player's rights as an unrestricted free agent. It's usually a 6th or 7th round pick, so Army did well to get a 3rd.

Also I wouldn't be so sure Lindgren will be handed the backup role next year. I'm guessing they will acquire a guy with more NHL experience to complete for the backup job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad