Confirmed with Link: Blues sign Stastny!!!!!4 years, $7 million

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Schwartz isn't eligible to receive an offer sheet yet. His options are essentially sign with the Blues or go to Europe :laugh: He doesn't have any other options if he wants to continue playing professional hockey.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Agreed. But that is the only way we can get it done without shipping someone out. We can leave Jaskin in the AHL and save 3/4 million. We could also trade Leopold or Paajarvi, or demote Paajarvi. Leopold would require us to sign another 7th D. There are options, but if Schwartz and Sobe sign cheaper than we expect, we don't need them.

I was all for moving Berglund when I thought we were getting an upgrade at wing. Now that we are just doing it to cut salary, I don't like it. Losing Berglund and slotting up Jaskin or Paajarvi makes us worse. I like doing something with Paajarvi or Leopold for cap relief.

I'm confused on how we are crunched for cap space now. I thought with Miller, Ott, Morrow & Roy falling off the books, added to what we already had in space, we were gonna have enough money to give Nuts his 7 mil and still have plenty left over to give Vladdy & Schwartz their raises? Did signing Lindy & Lehty put us in that big of a financial crunch that we might not be able to sign Vladdy & Schwartz??

If we dumped Leo for picks & pros do we have a NHL ready 7th man in our AHL pipeline?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm confused on how we are crunched for cap space now. I thought with Miller, Ott, Morrow & Roy falling off the books, added to what we already had in space, we were gonna have enough money to give Nuts his 7 mil and still have plenty left over to give Vladdy & Schwartz their raises? Did signing Lindy & Lehty put us in that big of a financial crunch that we might not be able to sign Vladdy & Schwartz??

If we dumped Leo for picks & pros do we have a NHL ready 7th man in our AHL pipeline?

Lehtera's contract was a bit of a surprise(to us anyway, I assume Army has known about it for quite a while). We have 6 million in cap space, so if we can fit Schwartz and Soby, we might not have to do anything. If not, we'll have to move some salary.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I thought qualifying offers kept other teams from messing with them?

We can't get rid of reaves...we're already soft as cotton as it is.

I wonder if well shake the "goon" name now....

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Also, I asked earlier this week if that 700K carryover bonus overage against our cap was gonna screw us somehow, and somebody replied it wouldn't matter because we weren't gonna be a cap team. So does this mean we have actually spent all the way to the cap for this season, after Vladdy and Jaden get their raises??

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

We can't get rid of reaves...we're already soft as cotton as it is.

I wonder if well shake the "goon" name now....

Reaves didn't do a damn thing for us, from the moment he got paid, and was completely nonexistent for the PO's. Seabrook's should've had some payback for what he did to Backes, that was the perfect situation where our enforcer should have collected on that bill. If Ryan's not going to do what he's paid to do (especially when it matters) then their is no point in having a enforcer. Even more so in this case of having such a high paid goon, who doesn't fight or dispense justice.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
From capgeek, signing Schwartz to a $3.5M bridge, Sobbotka to a $2.4M contract, dropping Porter to Chicago. Leaves us $35k lol

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Jaden Schwartz ($3.500m) / Paul Stastny ($7.000m) / Vladimir Tarasenko ($0.900m)
Alexander Steen ($5.800m) / David Backes ($4.500m) / T.J. Oshie ($4.175m)
Patrik Berglund ($3.700m) / Jori Lehtera ($2.750m) / Joakim Lindstrom ($0.700m)
Vladimir Sobotka ($2.400m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.100m) / Dmitrij Jaskin ($0.773m)
Magnus Paajarvi ($1.200m) / Ryan Reaves ($1.125m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($5.400m) / Alex Pietrangelo ($6.500m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($2.950m) / Kevin Shattenkirk ($4.250m)
Barret Jackman ($3.167m) / Ian Cole ($0.825m)
Jordan Leopold ($2.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Brian Elliott ($2.500m)
Jake Allen ($0.800m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$700,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,964,167; BONUSES: $971,667
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $35,833

Will Sobotka really get a one million dollar raise annually, he was making $1.4m? For a 3rd/4th liner wouldn't $2m (or 600K raise) be more than adequate?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Will Sobotka really get a one million dollar raise annually, he was making $1.4m? For a 3rd/4th liner wouldn't $2m (or 600K raise) be more than adequate?

He outscored Berglund in 17 fewer games played, and we just signed Bergie for 3.7x3. No doubt his agent is going to point that out in negotiations. Probably looking at 3.2-3.8 for Soby.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Schwartz isn't eligible to receive an offer sheet yet. His options are essentially sign with the Blues or go to Europe :laugh: He doesn't have any other options if he wants to continue playing professional hockey.

Why not? Ryan O'Reiley got offer sheeted coming off of his ELC, and he was the same age as Schwartz. That was under the new CBA as well, I believe. Anyone under 26 who has completed their ELC is an RFA and can be signed to an offer sheet subject to the right of first refusal and compensation.

Sort of. Qualifying offers allow the player to stay a restricted free agent. If you have a player who would be a restricted free agent, and you do not qualify them, they become a unrestricted free agent. That happened to Del Zotto. He is 24 and a UFA. If you qualify them, the player can accept that number and play under a 1 year contract, or more often you negotiate another contract. Another team can sign an offer sheet with the player. If this happens all negotiations between the player and the team that holds his rights stops. The holing team can either a) let the player go and receive draft picks based on a scale according to the AAV of the contract or b) match the offer sheet and keep the player. There is no other option. So if someone does offer sheet Schwartz for $5M for two years, we either pay that or lose him for draft picks.

A couple of things happened that crunched us against the cap. It was $2M less than expected. We signed Lehtera for $2M+ and we signed and kept Berglund for almost $4M. And Gunnerson, even with retained salary is a couple hundred thou over Polak. That is $8M in cost we didn't expect. Lindstrom's contract is less than a million and was signed long enough ago it was figured in our calculations.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He outscored Berglund in 17 fewer games played, and we just signed Bergie for 3.7x3. No doubt his agent is going to point that out in negotiations. Probably looking at 3.2-3.8 for Soby.

The Berglund signing double screws us. I was fine with it when he was trade bait. Now that we are dealing with it, it seems high :laugh: Army will counter Sobotka that his was a career year while Berglund is a multiple 20 goal scorer. I think we can get him for $3M AAV.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Why not? Ryan O'Reiley got offer sheeted coming off of his ELC, and he was the same age as Schwartz. That was under the new CBA as well, I believe. Anyone under 26 who has completed their ELC is an RFA and can be signed to an offer sheet subject to the right of first refusal and compensation.

Sort of. Qualifying offers allow the player to stay a restricted free agent. If you have a player who would be a restricted free agent, and you do not qualify them, they become a unrestricted free agent. That happened to Del Zotto. He is 24 and a UFA. If you qualify them, the player can accept that number and play under a 1 year contract, or more often you negotiate another contract. Another team can sign an offer sheet with the player. If this happens all negotiations between the player and the team that holds his rights stops. The holing team can either a) let the player go and receive draft picks based on a scale according to the AAV of the contract or b) match the offer sheet and keep the player. There is no other option. So if someone does offer sheet Schwartz for $5M for two years, we either pay that or lose him for draft picks.

A couple of things happened that crunched us against the cap. It was $2M less than expected. We signed Lehtera for $2M+ and we signed and kept Berglund for almost $4M. And Gunnerson, even with retained salary is a couple hundred thou over Polak. That is $8M in cost we didn't expect. Lindstrom's contract is less than a million and was signed long enough ago it was figured in our calculations.

That's correct about 95% of the time. Schwartz is a bit different though. Schwartz signed his contract following his sophomore year at Colorado College, at the age of 20, but he only played 7 games that season, so that doesn't count as a "season" as it's judged by the CBA, he would have to play 10 or more. What makes Schwartz weird is that since we signed him so late in the year, it burned a year of his ELC, but it didn't count as a "season played". In order to be eligible to sign an offer sheet, a player that signs his ELC under the age of 21(which Schwartz did) must play at least 3 "seasons"(over 10 games). Schwartz has only played two, the lockout shortened season, and the following. He's kind of stuck in the middle. He can't sign an offer sheet. It's pretty confusing and silly. This link should help:

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/6/21/4436012/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-3-free-agency

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
That's correct about 95% of the time. Schwartz is a bit different though. Schwartz signed his contract following his sophomore year at Colorado College, at the age of 20, but he only played 7 games that season, so that doesn't count as a "season" as it's judged by the CBA, he would have to play 10 or more. What makes Schwartz weird is that since we signed him so late in the year, it burned a year of his ELC, but it didn't count as a "season played". In order to be eligible to sign an offer sheet, a player that signs his ELC under the age of 21(which Schwartz did) must play at least 3 "seasons"(over 10 games). Schwartz has only played two, the lockout shortened season, and the following. He's kind of stuck in the middle. He can't sign an offer sheet. It's pretty confusing and silly. This link should help:

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/6/21/4436012/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-3-free-agency

Gotcha. I had heard that rule before, but like you said it is obscure, and honestly didn't think about it. I didn't realize we had signed Schwartz so late that it applied. Cool, well that much is good. Then that should help us get a lower deal out of him, not that I want to play hardball and have him be disgruntled.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Cannot question Stillman's will to win after a move like this. I have said this before, but he is easily the best owner we have had since the Solomans.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Steener and Backes told army to do what he had to do to assemble a championship team in regard to stastny's contract With those attitudes...I'm sure they pour over into the youth. These boys want to win!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Reaves didn't do a damn thing for us, from the moment he got paid, and was completely nonexistent for the PO's. Seabrook's should've had some payback for what he did to Backes, that was the perfect situation where our enforcer should have collected on that bill. If Ryan's not going to do what he's paid to do (especially when it matters) then their is no point in having a enforcer. Even more so in this case of having such a high paid goon, who doesn't fight or dispense justice.
Oh I hear you....other then destroying toews in game one....never seen him. I'd day no retaliation on Seabrook was Hitch's doing. But I'd still like to have him vs not having him :/

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think Armstrong has this mapped out to the penny. I was a little surprised at the 200k salary retention with the Polak trade, but now it looks like that amount may well make the difference.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008

Berglund has multiple 40+ point/20g seasons to his name, lead the team in goals during the lockout season. Sobotka had one year where he out scored him. That's not a real strong bargaining position for Sobotka's camp.

I love Sobotka but if he's going to cost 3+ million ship his ass out.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
As a team we need to find the right balance of grit and skill.

I am still not sure if we are there yet. We took a huge step in the direction of skill, but we are looking a little softer with the departures of Polak and Ott. Concerns me a bit.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Berglund has multiple 40+ point/20g seasons to his name, lead the team in goals during the lockout season. Sobotka had one year where he out scored him. That's not a real strong bargaining position for Sobotka's camp.

I love Sobotka but if he's going to cost 3+ million ship his ass out.

Soby has never cleared 40 points. He had a good year centering two of our top 3 wingers. When he was out Berglund stepped in and the line rolled on. There wasn't a production drop.

I love his faceoff ability and drive, but his offensive game isn't all that impressive. I would move him fairly easily if we have to move someone.

Honestly, I think this year will see Jaskin and Rattie in the AHL. Unless Jaskin's skating has dramatically improved.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
$3.8 million for Sobotka??? Not a chance, Maybe $2.5-2.8 million.

I hope you're right, but I think his agent has a lot of ammunition to work with. I still think there's a chance he wants Berglund money when he has(in my opinion) played just as well as Berglund over the last few seasons. Bluebeard has a good point that while Soby outperformed Berglund last year, that was his first time(statistically anyway) he had done so in his career. If he does come in around 3.3 or higher, one of Soby or Berglund has to go. We can't have that much cap tied up in our third line. We'll see.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
As a team we need to find the right balance of grit and skill.

I am still not sure if we are there yet. We took a huge step in the direction of skill, but we are looking a little softer with the departures of Polak and Ott. Concerns me a bit.

I would have loved if we picked up Steve Downie, especially for that contract.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I hope you're right, but I think his agent has a lot of ammunition to work with. I still think there's a chance he wants Berglund money when he has(in my opinion) played just as well as Berglund over the last few seasons. Bluebeard has a good point that while Soby outperformed Berglund last year, that was his first time(statistically anyway) he had done so in his career. If he does come in around 3.3 or higher, one of Soby or Berglund has to go. We can't have that much cap tied up in our third line. We'll see.

I think they'd let Sobotka hold out if they try to do something hardball. When guys like Steen/Backes are approving Stastny's salary to create a winner, I think Vlad would have a lot of pressure on him to get on the ice (and that's he'd want to). And with the Center depth the team picked up, Vlad needs to be a little careful not to be replaced. I love Sobotka and want him on the team, but its a loss they could absorb if they needed to.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008

Let's also not forget Sobotka missing a fair amount of games due to injuries. That's another sort of thing that gets brought up. Sobies agent can say, well he's been pushing Berglund in on ice performance, Armstrong can use Berglund's superior career stats and the fact that Berglund has only missed a handful of games in his entire NHL career.

I see Sobotka slotting in right around 2-2.25million on something like a 3 year contract. Or maybe a four year back loaded deal where he hits 3 towards the end if his camp is really busting Armstrong's balls on paying him more.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Another thing that is great about the Stastny situation is that he gets to go through training camp with us to get adjusted. Getting him at the trade deadline may have been a Miller situation for bit as he played with one team his whole life and suddenly is on a new team in the same division. The Blues would have to juggle lines in the regular season to try and find something. Now they can do it during training camp.

Now, instead of being traded, he makes the choice to come to St. Louis and gets the entire offseason and training camp to become acquainted with everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad