Confirmed with Link: Blues sign Justin Selman (Univ. of Michigan)

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Hey look we signed a college free agent, now we can stop complaining about how we don't do that.

It's funny how we bring up Sejna, but forget about Joe Mullen AND Curtis Joseph... Selman may never be more than Chris Porter....Low risk move. Better than some of the picks we have wasted...I appreciate them taking the chance. There are plenty of good kids in the college and junior ranks out there that haven't been drafted.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Any more good college FAs out there?

Drake Caggiula is on our radar, but I think he is on every teams radar.

Then there is the two drafted players, Jimmy Vasey and Mark Jankowski, that might choose to become free agents in August.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

Then there is the two drafted players, Jimmy Vasey and Mark Jankowski, that might choose to become free agents in August.

Ahti Oksanen; Hampus Gustafsson, Sarcino, Brandon Tanev, Troy Stecher probably are in the next tier. This year has some good 5-7 d-men with grit and size as well.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Every team will want to sign those 2. But, I suppose it won;t hurt for The Blues to try.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Every team will want to sign those 2. But, I suppose it won;t hurt for The Blues to try.

Years ago, Mike Van Ryn was signed by the Blues as a junior free agent after leaving college. The Blues have signed a few high profilers. Don't always pan out, but....Van Ryn was a decent player.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Now, we can be more specific in our complaining. We can complain that we never sign sleepers or "steals" from the college UFAs that end up as NHL Top 6 forwards and Top 4 defencemen, like DeKeyser.

We were one of the final teams in for Dekeyser, but he was always going to Detroit. It's a positive sign that we are exploring these markets though.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
via Penalty Box Radio:

"Justin Selman is a big-bodied winger that can be an asset on special teams. While on the penalty kill, he has an active stick to tie up lanes, but can over-commit. Luckily, his speed helps him recover if he does over-commit in playing the puck. Overall, he’s positionally aware and keeps his head on a swivel, especially while killing penalties. He’s aware of where opposing players are and communicates that well with teammates. Offensively, he reads plays well and finds open space. Not afraid to screen the goaltender. Keeps his feet moving and can fly when entering the zone. Great hand-eye coordination. While unselfish in passing the puck when needed, he needs to make the decision to shoot it more often if a clear passing lane isn’t present."

Sounds like Jacob Doty!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad