Confirmed with Link: Blues sign Justin Selman (Univ. of Michigan)

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Watched UND vs Michigan the other night and I will say that this guy did not really stand out at all. Only game I've seen of his though

WiscoBlues

Feb 1, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Can anybody give a quick scouting report on this kid?

via Penalty Box Radio:

"Justin Selman is a big-bodied winger that can be an asset on special teams. While on the penalty kill, he has an active stick to tie up lanes, but can over-commit. Luckily, his speed helps him recover if he does over-commit in playing the puck. Overall, he’s positionally aware and keeps his head on a swivel, especially while killing penalties. He’s aware of where opposing players are and communicates that well with teammates. Offensively, he reads plays well and finds open space. Not afraid to screen the goaltender. Keeps his feet moving and can fly when entering the zone. Great hand-eye coordination. While unselfish in passing the puck when needed, he needs to make the decision to shoot it more often if a clear passing lane isn’t present."

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Interesting signing. He played well at the development camp last summer, and he has obviously continued to impress in college.

Can't say that I've seen much of him, but that scouting report makes him sound pretty good. If he is a big-bodied, 2-way player with speed then he might develop into a decent third liner.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Chicago depth...would be surprised if he made the Big Show...but we'll see.
There's already a lot of RW depth ahead of him...but whatever.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Glad the Blues believe in Justin. Played roller hockey with him as a young teenager and I hope he continues to work hard and provide your organization a boost, whether it be at the AHL or NHL level. Would've never anticipated being a Chicago Wolves fan but whaddya know?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Glad the Blues believe in Justin. Played roller hockey with him as a young teenager and I hope he continues to work hard and provide your organization a boost, whether it be at the AHL or NHL level. Would've never anticipated being a Chicago Wolves fan but whaddya know?

We know how that feels!

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
Can anybody give a quick scouting report on this kid?

Seems like a guy that needs a lot of open space to make an impact. He dominated in the 3v3 at the prospect camp, but other than that was not much of a presence compared to the other guys.

Here's a cut from a prospect camp post I made on day 3:

"Once the scrimmage turned to the 3v3, Selman started to take over. First goal, he shoots down the wing alone, cuts in across the middle, dekes, and beats the goalie 5-hole. Second, he speeds down the other wing, beats 2 defenders with multiple dekes, and lifts it in short-side to beat the goalie. Probably the prettiest goal of the day. There was another goal just after this on the same shift which trickled in after some work in close by Selman and Yakimowicz - not sure which of the two gets credit for that."

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Hey look we signed a college free agent, now we can stop complaining about how we don't do that.

FirstRoundExit

Apr 26, 2015
via Penalty Box Radio:

"Justin Selman is a big-bodied winger that can be an asset on special teams. While on the penalty kill, he has an active stick to tie up lanes, but can over-commit. Luckily, his speed helps him recover if he does over-commit in playing the puck. Overall, he’s positionally aware and keeps his head on a swivel, especially while killing penalties. He’s aware of where opposing players are and communicates that well with teammates. Offensively, he reads plays well and finds open space. Not afraid to screen the goaltender. Keeps his feet moving and can fly when entering the zone. Great hand-eye coordination. While unselfish in passing the puck when needed, he needs to make the decision to shoot it more often if a clear passing lane isn’t present."

So a 6' tall, speedy winger who is defensively responsible and can kill penalties?

Sobotka a good comparison?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Interesting signing. He played well at the development camp last summer, and he has obviously continued to impress in college.

Can't say that I've seen much of him, but that scouting report makes him sound pretty good. If he is a big-bodied, 2-way player with speed then he might develop into a decent third liner.

This would be his upside potential. IF he's going to make it in The NHL, it will be as a 3rd or 4th Liner. He;s a decent skater at a decent size. So, it's worth a try, given that The Blues still have 4 contract openings left.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Hey look we signed a college free agent, now we can stop complaining about how we don't do that.

Now, we can be more specific in our complaining. We can complain that we never sign sleepers or "steals" from the college UFAs that end up as NHL Top 6 forwards and Top 4 defencemen, like DeKeyser.

FirstRoundExit

Apr 26, 2015
Now, we can be more specific in our complaining. We can complain that we never sign sleepers or "steals" from the college UFAs that end up as NHL Top 6 forwards and Top 4 defencemen, like DeKeyser.

Hey we don't know that yet, we could have a late bloomer on our hands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad