Confirmed with Link: Blues Sign Jori Lehtera (No, not again. It was just the one time. Deep breaths.)

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I'm very glad I saw that we signed Stastny first, or else I would have though that this was our big free agent solution to our #2 center problem.

Anyway, can't have enough players competing for spots. It will be fun seeing what Lehtera can do on in the NHL.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm happy with getting Lehtera. I thought the ship had sailed long ago, but I'm thrilled he decided to give it a shot. I'm interested where he slots in.

Maya Blue

Jan 17, 2013
I'm quite happy with this signing. Under the radar but could pay big dividends.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
I'm happy with getting Lehtera. I thought the ship had sailed long ago, but I'm thrilled he decided to give it a shot. I'm interested where he slots in.

Agreed. His skating leave a lot to be desired but Lehtera will be given a shot in a bottom six role? Berglund days are numbered unless it's to wing you would think?

BluesBrother

Sep 22, 2009
Finland
I'm thrilled. Nice to see what he can do in NA. Played earlier in Tappara, which is my favourite team in sm-liiga. So, definitely one more reason to enjoy Blues hockey even more :handclap:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Was not expecting this at all but hey on the 3rd line this could be a great signing. Let's see what he can do.

All the sudden we have centers... Stastny, Backes, Lehtera, Sobotka, Berglund, Lapierre with Fabbri and Barbashev in the system??? Holy ****.

Just a few days ago we had Backes, Sobotka, Berglund and Max ****ing Gardiner.

:biglaugh:

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Agreed. His skating leave a lot to be desired but Lehtera will be given a shot in a bottom six role? Berglund days are numbered unless it's to wing you would think?

He'll be on ether wing. We currently have no needs to address (in theory), so we should finally get that prolonged look at Berglund on the wing that we've been teased with.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Finally. I think this is a good signing for the Blues. I could see him playing on the 3rd line or as a 2nd line winger.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Our bottom six is stacked. Really like the look of our 3rd line now if it does shake out to be Berglund-Lehtera-Sobotka.

Hell, you could slot Jaskin in there on the third line and then roll with a fourth line of Lapierre-Sobotka-Reaves and you still have Paajarvi, Porter and Cracknell waiting in the wings.

Underrated signing that really highlights just how successful our offseason as a whole has been.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Fans are going to love his media trolling while the media will be all like "wait...was he serious or not?" :laugh:

I was really impressed with the way he was able to elevate his play at Worlds after a bad first week. I think he's physically and mentally more prepared for NHL now. The fact that he signed with Blues, shows there was always mutual interest from both sides. They should know what they're getting. He played wing with Kontiola in the bronze medal game at the Olympics and throughout the Worlds so with the right type of center and winger (old line mate Tarasenko?).

Last edited:

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
BNZ: How does Jori Lehtera look so far? He was skating on the same line as Tarasenko, are they still linemates? If so, how is their chemistry?

ASR: Lehtera and Tarasenko have developed an excellent chemistry. I would risk to say that such a duo could be good in the NHL, too. In the NHL they would probably need a player like Max Pacioretti of the Habs to do the dirty work for them. In the KHL there is more space, less defense, and teams can afford three offensive forwards on the same line. This allow for lines like Sibir’s first, which is skilled enough to score beautiful combination goals.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
I see Lehtera slotting in on the wing at first. No need to kick Berglund to the curb for a a guy who has zero NHL experience. If Lethera can handle the tougher board play in the NHL he could be the type of guy that could get the puck on the half boards, buy a little time and have the hands to get the puck to Berglund for a shot or deflection.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I would love to see Lehtera come in and be the Blues version of Sodeberg.
Yes, I know there's some irony in the comment. It wouldn't be a post of mine without some sort of seasoning.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I would love to see Lehtera come in and be the Blues version of Sodeberg.
Yes, I know there's some irony in the comment. It wouldn't be a post of mine without some sort of seasoning.

More likely to be the Blues' new, slower Cajanek.

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
Didn't Lehtera win a fastest skating comp in the KHL? I remember watching him with Tarasenko and his skating wasn't that bad at all.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
His skating really did improve a lot. I don't know anything about his winning a competition, but I don't expect it to be an issue.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I just thought of this, but I wonder if the shenanigans with Russia and Ukraine is causing players in the KHL to want to leave. Donbass' arena got destroyed, and they're going to miss the next season, and I wonder if that kind of craziness pushed Lehtera, McRae and Komarov to want to come over.

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
I just thought of this, but I wonder if the shenanigans with Russia and Ukraine is causing players in the KHL to want to leave. Donbass' arena got destroyed, and they're going to miss the next season, and I wonder if that kind of craziness pushed Lehtera, McRae and Komarov to want to come over.

That could be a factor. Russia just seems so tedious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad