Confirmed with Link: Blues sign Beau Bennett (1 year @ $650k)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
He's probably the best tweeter in the game.

Ehhh Luongo's tweet game is strong.

Like this signing for the Blues. Hopefully Beau can stay healthy and provide some depth scoring on our right side.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
dont mind this, basically a replacement for upshall. doubt he sees much playing time anyways

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's a shame as the Devils are my Eastern Conference/#2 team generally. I was sort of hoping the Blues would look at Smith-Pelley, who at least on eye test had some good points, good at the net, down low, could score a goal. Or maybe I just caught his good games. Don't quite recall Bennett in particular last year.
I think you're better off with Beau than DSP. Smith-Pelley was really awful last year. He had that one hot streak to end the 15-16 season and that was it.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

He has a good sense of humor about having glass bones and paper skin--he retweeted this from last year's parade.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
yeah his twitter game is strong

glad to have him, if hes healthy he has a lot of skill and is defensively responsible

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
On July 1, the St. Louis Blues signed Beau Bennett to a one year deal. The injury prone Bennett wasn’t the most sought after free agent; but St. Louis fans seem to be excited about the signing. The argument is that the right winger will add a lot of strength to the Blues bottom six. While he does add depth, it’s not at the level of what most people are hoping. Instead, he’s likely to be one of the AHL’s best players this season.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/24/beau-bennett-changed-teams-not-expectations/

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Bennett will wear #78.

If I was the coach his chances of getting sent to the AHL just went up with that selection.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Bennett will wear #78.

If I was the coach his chances of getting sent to the AHL just went up with that selection.

Seems pretty presumptuous of the kid to wear that number so soon after the Evgeny Grachev era.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
On July 1, the St. Louis Blues signed Beau Bennett to a one year deal. The injury prone Bennett wasn’t the most sought after free agent; but St. Louis fans seem to be excited about the signing. The argument is that the right winger will add a lot of strength to the Blues bottom six. While he does add depth, it’s not at the level of what most people are hoping. Instead, he’s likely to be one of the AHL’s best players this season.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/24/beau-bennett-changed-teams-not-expectations/

They do? Most line-ups I see for next year consider him an extra, if he's considered at all. I do think he's the favorite for 3rd RW...but I haven't seen much, if any, "excitement" about the Beau Bennett signing. I think most people are surprised he's healthy enough to be ready for next season, but 'excited' isn't a word I'd use to describe the response to his signing.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

From the article: "At this point, it would’ve been best to let Bennett return to the AHL without waiver worry with a two-way contract versus one-way deal if he remains healthy through training camp."

How are we supposed to take any hockey writer seriously when they don't understand how waivers work. The real difference between a 1-way v. 2 way contract has nothing to do with waivers, despite how old EA games worked. It only has to do with the salary difference between the NHL and AHL.

From the article: " Agostino was called up. In seven games, he had three points. While he didn’t light up the scoreboard, he was a reliable fourth line player until the Blues were healthier."

IIRC, I don't think he was once on the 4th line, but played exclusively 3rd line during his time up with the big club last year.

From the article: "Even if this is the case, Bennett is still a valuable asset to the Blues. In the worst case scenario, he provides a lot strength to the Blues AHL team. "

Blues don't have an AHL team. We are spreading our guys out amongst a few until we get one next year.

Maybe you should have someone who actually watches the team your authors are writing about fact-check the articles. Also, where are you getting Blues fans that think he is anything more than an injury fill-in? How you describe him, sounds exactly like how Blues fans here view him, so where is the disconnect?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I feel like these HF sponsored websites just write articles for the sake of putting out content. Like how does Beau fricking Bennett warrant such a lengthy discussion? Not to mention, the writer's knowledge on hockey and the Blues seems suspect. 95% of these articles is just stat regurgitation with no actual discussion provided.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I feel like these HF sponsored websites just write articles for the sake of putting out content. Like how does Beau fricking Bennett warrant such a lengthy discussion? Not to mention, the writer's knowledge on hockey and the Blues seems suspect. 95% of these articles is just stat regurgitation with no actual discussion provided.

They don't have anybody who has ever watched a Blues game on staff, so a Pittsburgh guy took a stab at it since he knows something about Bennett?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It's actually a 16 year old kid from Washington, IL.

Ok, and? The article was bad. It might be a pretty good article for a 16-year old to post on a personal blog. But if LWoS is trying to present itself as a professional source for hockey analysis, that article doesn't cut it. The author seemed to know a bit about Bennett's career, but did not seem to be very current on the Blues or what Blues fans are saying. So I guessed he may have been a Pittsburgh fan. Probably not if he is from just outside Peoria, although that doesn't discount it. But his age is irrelevant to the conversation. LWoS needs to either not post articles from 16-year olds, have someone with more hockey knowledge proof-read the articles, or more clearly state its just a spot for fans who don't know much to post whatever they feel like.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
No, the point is, that site is just another Bleacher Report, just another crap blogger site that will give "positions" to any random person as a way to get clickbait while paying them crap. This is one of the big problems in media, over-saturation, just leads to crap, and companies take advantage of it. These sites generally don't give a **** about quality because that's not what they are looking for. They want to push out as much quantity as possible at a very low cost.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
No, the point is, that site is just another Bleacher Report, just another crap blogger site that will give "positions" to any random person as a way to get clickbait while paying them crap. This is one of the big problems in media, over-saturation, just leads to crap, and companies take advantage of it.

Gotcha. I totally agree with that point. I thought you were trying to defend it because he was only 16.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Regardless of how old the writer is, that was a frustrating read. I don't know what the fascination/preoccupation is with trashing players that haven't even played for us yet, but it's sort of ridiculous. Bennett hasn't done a whole lot at the NHL level, but his underlying numbers are good enough that he deserves to keep playing. If he doesn't gel here, he costs us essentially nothing (Mackenzie MacEachern costs us more). Relegating him to AHL-fodder before camp is crazy to me.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Regardless of how old the writer is, that was a frustrating read. I don't know what the fascination/preoccupation is with trashing players that haven't even played for us yet, but it's sort of ridiculous. Bennett hasn't done a whole lot at the NHL level, but his underlying numbers are good enough that he deserves to keep playing. If he doesn't gel here, he costs us essentially nothing (Mackenzie MacEachern costs us more). Relegating him to AHL-fodder before camp is crazy to me.

It's a smart, small bet that is encouraging mostly because it hints that maybe we're taking an improved approach to filling depth. Of the Army criticisms, the one that rings most true to me is that he puts too many dollars and term into depth players. Ott is the first and clearest example that comes to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad