Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The Blues have not been shy about parting with former 1st rounders when they’re not projecting to make it. So far, I can’t think of any times that was regrettable. Schmaltz, Tage Thompson, Bokk (still early there).

Maybe Kostin doesn’t hold much trade value, but I don’t get the sense the team is running out of patience with him. I’ve personally thought his lack of hockey sense and ability to integrate with his teammates in a line is going to be what holds him from becoming a useful NHL player. If he grows his hockey sense with maturity overall, I could see a guy like Maroon being a comparable.

He skates much better then Maroon. I dont know about hockey sense. As for his ice tim in the KHL, can’t imagine they would give a guy who will be gone in a month or two much ice time. Especially if he missed a fair amount of camp.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Pronman ranked the top-155 players under the age of 23. Kostin was 137:

137. Klim Kostin, RW, St. Louis
May 5, 1999 | 6-foot-3 | 212 pounds
Tier: Very good NHL player
Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 65
Hockey Sense: 55
As an evaluation, Kostin’s a difficult one. He looks like a big-time player. He’s 6-foot-3, he skates well, he can get inside and play a powerful style, and he has skill. The skill and playmaking pops here or there, but what makes him tough to get a handle on is the offense is inconsistent versus men. I would see shifts this past season where he’d dangle a defensemen while skating at full speed, or pull up and make a cute pass through a tough passing lane. But I’d also see shifts where he’d looks basic with the puck or tunnel-visioned. I’ve seen enough good moments from him over the years to know he has offense in him, and could see him become an NHL scorer, but if you told me he ended up a bottom-six forward, I think that’s a very reasonable outcome, too.

Thomas was number 20. Kyrou #86. Perunovich #109. Hofer #148.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The Blues have not been shy about parting with former 1st rounders when they’re not projecting to make it. So far, I can’t think of any times that was regrettable. Schmaltz, Tage Thompson, Bokk (still early there).

Maybe Kostin doesn’t hold much trade value, but I don’t get the sense the team is running out of patience with him. I’ve personally thought his lack of hockey sense and ability to integrate with his teammates in a line is going to be what holds him from becoming a useful NHL player. If he grows his hockey sense with maturity overall, I could see a guy like Maroon being a comparable.

Minor quibble, but it took us 7 years to cut bait on Schmaltz. Maybe there were opportunities to do so earlier with him, maybe not. But that was a first we flushed down the toilet. I’m not sure Schmaltz ever got a real shot at the pros (he always played very little whenever he did get called up, not a great way to establish yourself).

Meanwhile a guy like Brady Skjei, who went two picks after Schmaltz, has been contributing at the pro level for 5 years now. It would have been nice to have that flexibility and depth all those years.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Pronman ranked the top-155 players under the age of 23. Kostin was 137:

137. Klim Kostin, RW, St. Louis
May 5, 1999 | 6-foot-3 | 212 pounds
Tier: Very good NHL player
Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 65
Hockey Sense: 55
As an evaluation, Kostin’s a difficult one. He looks like a big-time player. He’s 6-foot-3, he skates well, he can get inside and play a powerful style, and he has skill. The skill and playmaking pops here or there, but what makes him tough to get a handle on is the offense is inconsistent versus men. I would see shifts this past season where he’d dangle a defensemen while skating at full speed, or pull up and make a cute pass through a tough passing lane. But I’d also see shifts where he’d looks basic with the puck or tunnel-visioned. I’ve seen enough good moments from him over the years to know he has offense in him, and could see him become an NHL scorer, but if you told me he ended up a bottom-six forward, I think that’s a very reasonable outcome, too.

Thomas was number 20. Kyrou #86. Perunovich #109. Hofer #148.

The one redeeming thing I have to observe about Kostin is a comparable: Denis Gurianov. It took him seemingly forever to break into the league. But he broke out this year and was a big part of the Stars’ success during the playoffs. I’m curious to see if the same ever happens to the elder Svechnikov, and hopefully Kostin too.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don’t think this can be highlighted enough.

also, Kostin’s underlying AHL numbers were quite positive. He played pretty darn well last year despite the negativity of his growth. He’s tracking well to become an NHL player.
And his numbers have improved, so it's not like he's plateaued or declined like some other prospects do that eventually flame out.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Klim is still super young and we gotta remember he basically lost his draft year season. And taking that on top of the fact that he’s had to develop in the “jungle” (AHL) which is regarded as one of if not the hardest leagues for young guys especially teenagers to break into and develop in, but once he’s ready, he’ll be ready.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, just echoing the last couple posts, Klim is still really young to be succeeding in the AHL.

There are plenty of examples of guys who scored at a similar pt/game pace to Kostin (.625 pts/g) in their 20 year old season in the AHL and went on to be effective NHL players, including: Mathieu Perreault (.649), Alex Tuch (.649), Brandon Saad (.645), Justin Bailey (643), Richard Panik (.641), Teuvo Teravainen (.641), Cedric Paquette (.629), Cody Eakin (.628), Richard Zednik (.625), Andrew Mangiapane (.621), Brandon Dubinsky (.606), Jaden Schwartz (.576), Sammy Blais (.573)....ect

Power forwards take longer to develop. I'm still excited about Kostin's potential, way too soon to write him off IMO.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Yeah, just echoing the last couple posts, Klim is still really young to be succeeding in the AHL.

There are plenty of examples of guys who scored at a similar pt/game pace to Kostin (.625 pts/g) in their 20 year old season in the AHL and went on to be effective NHL players, including: Mathieu Perreault (.649), Alex Tuch (.649), Brandon Saad (.645), Justin Bailey (643), Richard Panik (.641), Teuvo Teravainen (.641), Cedric Paquette (.629), Cody Eakin (.628), Richard Zednik (.625), Andrew Mangiapane (.621), Brandon Dubinsky (.606), Jaden Schwartz (.576), Sammy Blais (.573)....ect

Power forwards take longer to develop. I'm still excited about Kostin's potential, way too soon to write him off IMO.

Wow, Richard Zednik. There’s a name I haven’t heard in awhile

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Wow, Richard Zednik. There’s a name I haven’t heard in awhile
tenor.gif

Haha kind of a random name to throw in there, but I always liked his game and he had a pretty solid career overall.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Just realize that Mikkola is already 24-year old. Either you give him icetime or trade him. He would fit other NHL team 3rd pair last year. Wasted potential imo.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Just realize that Mikkola is already 24-year old. Either you give him icetime or trade him. He would fit other NHL team 3rd pair last year. Wasted potential imo.
Because we could get so much in return for 24 year old career minor leaguer? If he is good enough to make team he should do so.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I get people saying that Mikkola has to prove it, but right now he has Krug, Scandella, and Gunnarsson in front of him. Even if you remove Dunn, the cards are still stacked against him.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I get people saying that Mikkola has to prove it, but right now he has Krug, Scandella, and Gunnarsson in front of him. Even if you remove Dunn, the cards are still stacked against him.

Gunnar is 36 years old to start this next season, he isn't going to impede Mikkola getting a spot. At this point he's clearly lost a step and I would think the team views him as the 7th D. Dunn still being here would be the only potential roadblock for Mikkola.

Speaking of which, what do you think the hold up is regarding Dunn being traded?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Gunnar is 36 years old to start this next season, he isn't going to impede Mikkola getting a spot. At this point he's clearly lost a step and I would think the team views him as the 7th D. Dunn still being here would be the only potential roadblock for Mikkola.

Speaking of which, what do you think the hold up is regarding Dunn being traded?
The thing is that Berube really seems to rely on Gunnarsson a lot. I can see Mikkola and Gunnar platooning. In regards to Dunn, they might be waiting to see how Perunovich adapts to the professional game. I am not sure if it wise to trade Dunn before we know what we have in the college star.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

Gunnarsson will be 34.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The thing is that Berube really seems to rely on Gunnarsson a lot. I can see Mikkola and Gunnar platooning. In regards to Dunn, they might be waiting to see how Perunovich adapts to the professional game. I am not sure if it wise to trade Dunn before we know what we have in the college star.
As with many things in life, a lot of that depends on the money involved. I think if Dunn accepts a 1-2 year deal at $1.5M or less he will be back. If he (and his agent) are set on a much higher figure, either on a short or long-term deal, I think it is unlikely he will be back.

Like it or not, a lot still depends on the likelihood of Steen returning this season. I think most are penciling in Tarasenko at some point, so we have to be careful not to spend that portion of our current LTIR reserve. Most signs seem to point to Steen not returning, but I don't see that as 100% at the moment. If Steen doesn't return, we have roughly $5.2M to spend on Dunn's extension and our 14th forward. If there is any possibility that Steen returns at some point, you have some cap to clear before than can happen, even before Dunn's extension, which will likely necessitate a trade unless Tarasenko's return is delayed until at least the playoffs.

While most of this has nothing to do with Mikkola or Perunovich, whether or not there is an opportunity for either is inextricably tied to what we decide to do with Dunn, barring a long-term injury on the blue line. So, indirectly as it may be, whether or not either or both get an opportunity this season can somewhat be tied back to what will happen with Steen.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Like it or not, a lot still depends on the likelihood of Steen returning this season. I think most are penciling in Tarasenko at some point, so we have to be careful not to spend that portion of our current LTIR reserve. Most signs seem to point to Steen not returning, but I don't see that as 100% at the moment. If Steen doesn't return, we have roughly $5.2M to spend on Dunn's extension and our 14th forward. If there is any possibility that Steen returns at some point, you have some cap to clear before than can happen, even before Dunn's extension, which will likely necessitate a trade unless Tarasenko's return is delayed until at least the playoffs.

I'm by no means a LTIR-expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong. But let's say we start Steen and Tarasenko on LTIR. Don't we bank capspace as long as we're under the cap? So if one of them returns and we have banked enough cap we can activate Steen/Tarasenko without having to move someone?

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'm by no means a LTIR-expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong. But let's say we start Steen and Tarasenko on LTIR. Don't we bank capspace as long as we're under the cap? So if one of them returns and we have banked enough cap we can activate Steen/Tarasenko without having to move someone?

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall having heard LTIR space doesn't allow a team to accumulate banked space.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall having heard LTIR space doesn't allow a team to accumulate banked space.
My understanding is that you only bank space to the extent you are under the cap. Having a player on LTIR allows you to exceed the cap, but you do not bank any additional space to use later by not utilizing all of the additional LTIR space available. If your roster, including the players on LTIR, exceeds the $81.5M ceiling, you cannot bank any space at all as far as I understand the cap rules.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
My understanding is that you only bank space to the extent you are under the cap. Having a player on LTIR allows you to exceed the cap, but you do not bank any additional space to use later by not utilizing all of the additional LTIR space available. If your roster, including the players on LTIR, exceeds the $81.5M ceiling, you cannot bank any space at all as far as I understand the cap rules.

Thanks for clearing it up! :)

Reactions: MissouriMook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: