Blues Prospects Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It’s not just me that thinks our drafting... leaves something to be desired. Team Canada invites ZERO Blues prospects to the World Juniors camp. The roster is a long list of guys we passed over in the last 2-3 years, plus (obviously) the guys who were drafted high. Point being, we’re not identifying/prioritizing BPA in our drafting.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
It’s not just me that thinks our drafting... leaves something to be desired. Team Canada invites ZERO Blues prospects to the World Juniors camp. The roster is a long list of guys we passed over in the last 2-3 years, plus (obviously) the guys who were drafted high. Point being, we’re not identifying/prioritizing BPA in our drafting.

I think you're blowing this way out of proportion man... We didn't have picks available at 29/46 of the spots for players invited to the camp.

We had 5 picks available from inside the top 100 picks between the 2019/2020 drafts.

2020 #26 Jake Neighbours, F
2020 #86 Dylan Peterson, F
2020 #88 Leo Loof, F
2019 #62 Nikita Alexandrov, F
2019 #93 Colten Ellis, G

Of these, both Alexandrov and Ellis are too old to play in the 2021 WJC...

A grand total of 3 players taken outside the top 100 got invited - 1 was a forward (Mason Millman, #103 2019), the other 2 were goalies. So I'm going to ignore our later picks, because they just don't get invited to the WJC in general.

Okay, maybe you're unhappy with the picks we did make... But Alexandrov played well in the 2020 WJC.

Which leaves you to nitpick who was drafted at 26 in 2020. Bourque, Greig and O'Rourke were the only ones available at 26 that wouldn't have been a colossal reach for where they went that were invited to the 2021 WJC... Because no 2020 skater taken after #68 was invited - you can essentially only be angry about ONE pick of the 5 we had. So again, you're overreacting here.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Or it could have something to do with how the Blues have only drafted 2 Canadian players in the first three rounds of the last three drafts. Also, that "long list" of prospects the Blues passed over includes 6 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies. Long, in theory, until you realize that the Blues drafted Alexandrov instead of Clarke and Beckman. You can easily say that the Blues should have drafted Beckman, not so much in terms of Clarke. The Blues also picked Ellis instead of Millman and Spence. This is more debatable on who should have been drafted, but Ellis hasn't done anything to warrant regret at this point in time. He would most likely be invited had he not been older.

As for the rest the Blues passed over, they all came in the 2020 draft. The passed on Cormier, Sebrango, Hunt, Bourque, Grieg, Gonclaves, Schwindt, O'Rourke, Garand, and Levi. These are players the Blues had an opportunity to draft. However, only Garand and Levi were selected after the Blues 3rd round picks. Out of the remaining 8, I think the Blues were more than justified in not taking any of Hunt, Sebrango, Gonclaves, or Schwindt with the 26th overall pick considering no pundit had them in the 1st round. That leaves O'Rourke, Bourque, Grieg, and Cormier as potential 1st round picks that the Blues passed over (and Cormier wasn't selected until the 3rd round mind you). As for the two goalies, I can't say much on them because drafting goalies is a shot in the dark with a blindfold on.

So as for this "long list" of passed over prospects, I think there might be convincing arguments for about 5 - 7 skaters the Blues could have drafted instead of who they got. Even then, that list includes two defensemen that could have selected over Colten Ellis, so you would have to justify that argument by pointing out the lack of value Ellis has in comparison to Millman and Spence. I know that still leaves the two goalies the Blues could have picked, but it should say something that the Junior team invited more 2021 eligible goalies than drafted goalies.

I'm not denying that the Blues 2020 draft wasn't underwhelming at this point in time, nor am I saying that the Blues drafting is close to perfect. What I am saying is that what you posted this isn't great evidence to support your point.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Or it could have something to do with how the Blues have only drafted 2 Canadian players in the first three rounds of the last three drafts. Also, that "long list" of prospects the Blues passed over includes 6 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies. Long, in theory, until you realize that the Blues drafted Alexandrov instead of Clarke and Beckman. You can easily say that the Blues should have drafted Beckman, not so much in terms of Clarke. The Blues also picked Ellis instead of Millman and Spence. This is more debatable on who should have been drafted, but Ellis hasn't done anything to warrant regret at this point in time. He would most likely be invited had he not been older.

As for the rest the Blues passed over, they all came in the 2020 draft. The passed on Cormier, Sebrango, Hunt, Bourque, Grieg, Gonclaves, Schwindt, O'Rourke, Garand, and Levi. These are players the Blues had an opportunity to draft. However, only Garand and Levi were selected after the Blues 3rd round picks. Out of the remaining 8, I think the Blues were more than justified in not taking any of Hunt, Sebrango, Gonclaves, or Schwindt with the 26th overall pick considering no pundit had them in the 1st round. That leaves O'Rourke, Bourque, Grieg, and Cormier as potential 1st round picks that the Blues passed over (and Cormier wasn't selected until the 3rd round mind you). As for the two goalies, I can't say much on them because drafting goalies is a shot in the dark with a blindfold on.

So as for this "long list" of passed over prospects, I think there might be convincing arguments for about 5 - 7 skaters the Blues could have drafted instead of who they got. Even then, that list includes two defensemen that could have selected over Colten Ellis, so you would have to justify that argument by pointing out the lack of value Ellis has in comparison to Millman and Spence. I know that still leaves the two goalies the Blues could have picked, but it should say something that the Junior team invited more 2021 eligible goalies than drafted goalies.

I'm not denying that the Blues 2020 draft wasn't underwhelming at this point in time, nor am I saying that the Blues drafting is close to perfect. What I am saying is that what you posted this isn't great evidence to support your point.

Wow... Can't believe I completely overlooked the nationality aspect in my response above yours...

This short rest stuff at my new gig is going to take some getting used to.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
In other news, Jake Neighbours has been loaned to the Brooks Bandits of the AJHL.

https://www.foxsports.com/midwest/s...-neighbours-loaned-brooks-bandits-ajhl-110220

It's good that he will play, so I guess it's the best case scenario for him.

The WHL season supposedly starts on January 8th and some of the WHL teams are loaning their players to AJHL teams so they can get playing time until the WHL season starts. I wonder If I can get in and see a Bandits game as the company that I work for is a sponsor of the team and also gave any reports about Neighbours.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Jeremy Michel has 4 points in his last two games.

ML gets traded to transfers to the Armada and that team has not played since opening weekend. Must be Covid related, but I don’t know. Another Q team has only played in 3 games.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Austin Poganski - right wing power forward - 4th line forward
Niko Mikkola - leftside defensive defender - middle pair/bottom pair D.
Jake Walman - leftside offensive defenseman - bottom pair D.*

*I don't expect Walman to become a regular with the Blues due to a logjam on the left side with Perunovich and Mikkola probably ahead of him in the peckingorder. If he wants to reach his potential, he needs to be traded. He's waiver eligible BTW.

any plans to do a top prospects ranking? big fan of neighbours, curious where you guys have
him slotted.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
any plans to do a top prospects ranking? big fan of neighbours, curious where you guys have
him slotted.
We were waiting till after the draft, so I would expect that process to start soon. I think the election had been diverting people’s attention from the board the last few weeks, so now that is closer to conclusion, I would expect more hockey activity.

I think Neighbours is an interesting case of picking a good player, but with a lower ceiling than fans expected at our pick. I am not sure how that will or will not impact the prospect rankings. Our prospect pool is pretty bare on top end talent, so Neighbours should be high on the list regardless of what posters collectively thought about the pick.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
him slotted.
Right now I would rate him as our #3 F behind Kyrou (who is expected to "graduate" next season) and Kostin. I would also have Perunovich, Mikkola and Hofer ahead of him, slotting him at #6. If you were inclined to keep Husso in the prospect pool since he is technically on the NHL roster but has not yet played an NHL game, that would put him at #7.

It would have been nice to have been able to see some others in the conversation with a full regular season and playoffs. That could have boosted the position of some that I would put just behind Neighbours in Tucker, McGing and Alexandrov. As it stands, I think only Kyrou, Kostin, Mikkola and Perunovich are locks to have NHL careers, and I think you might get some push back about one or two of those names from others on our board. We have way too many low ceiling, high floor players in our prospect pool, but that should be unsurprising given that we've only missed the playoffs once (and that was by 1 point) since 2011.

Reactions: neelynugs

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Right now I would rate him as our #3 F behind Kyrou (who is expected to "graduate" next season) and Kostin. I would also have Perunovich, Mikkola and Hofer ahead of him, slotting him at #6. If you were inclined to keep Husso in the prospect pool since he is technically on the NHL roster but has not yet played an NHL game, that would put him at #7.

It would have been nice to have been able to see some others in the conversation with a full regular season and playoffs. That could have boosted the position of some that I would put just behind Neighbours in Tucker, McGing and Alexandrov. As it stands, I think only Kyrou, Kostin, Mikkola and Perunovich are locks to have NHL careers, and I think you might get some push back about one or two of those names from others on our board. We have way too many low ceiling, high floor players in our prospect pool, but that should be unsurprising given that we've only missed the playoffs once (and that was by 1 point) since 2011.
Not surprising we don't have lots of high-ceiling players based on where we picked. Tage and Bokk probably both had higher ceilings than any of our current forward prospects, but they also had low floors. Thomas is the only top 20 pick we have made over last decade. Neighbors is only current prospect who was even a top 30 pick.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Torepechenko has 5 goals in 13 Games .

Well, he is playing top 6 minutes in Kunlun, unlike Kostin who is either scratched or, mostly, on Avangard's 4th line. Weirdly enough Toropchenko hasn't gotten any assists yet this season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Well, he is playing top 6 minutes in Kunlun, unlike Kostin who is either scratched or, mostly, on Avangard's 4th line. Weirdly enough Toropchenko hasn't gotten any assists yet this season.
Funny that his KHL team is burying Kostin just like Blues. Don’t they know he is future star if only they played him more? So unfair that they expect him to produce and earn minutes. If they ain’t careful he is gonna take his ball and go, finding a league in Slovenia or somewhere he can get his rightful minutes.

Reactions: MissouriMook

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Funny that his KHL team is burying Kostin just like Blues. Don’t they know he is future star if only they played him more? So unfair that they expect him to produce and earn minutes. If they ain’t careful he is gonna take his ball and go, finding a league in Slovenia or somewhere he can get his rightful minutes.
I think Kostin is going to be a player who bolts back home and plays in the KHL and doesn't get a sniff in the NHL again. I know he is young, but he seems to have the personality that demands instant gratification. Maybe he'll mature this year and start to realize that hard work and experience is what earns you minutes. If so, then he may have a good future with the Blues, but I'll believe the so called proof is in the pudding

Reactions: Vollie27

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What I saw him last season pre-season games. He didn't seems to be that far from NHL level imo. He looks so much of Jaskin, but better legs and stickhandling. Drives hard to net. Noting that what Brouwer bring in the table, I really don't have any clue why not Kostin couldn't match and replace him. Same goes with Steen. He was superB at Cup run in 4th line, but he has lost his step or two vs. Cup run. I would rather see Poganski in vs. Steen.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I think Kostin is going to be a player who bolts back home and plays in the KHL and doesn't get a sniff in the NHL again. I know he is young, but he seems to have the personality that demands instant gratification. Maybe he'll mature this year and start to realize that hard work and experience is what earns you minutes. If so, then he may have a good future with the Blues, but I'll believe the so called proof is in the pudding
Okay there really isn't any evidence to support that he doesn't take his training seriously nor is the type of player that wants to take the easy way out.

I've seen this guy practice first hand and I find it hard to believe that he is the type of guy who doesn't believe in hard work. I remember back when he came to his first prospect camp after being drafted. He hadn't been in the states that long at the time yet he was always asking the trainers for help to understand the drills (or at least that's what I think he was doing given the circumstances). I'm sure that must have been a difficult thing to do for someone who had just turned 18 a few months prior in a different country on a completely different continent. He has progressed every year in the AHL where last year he was one of the most impactful players on the ice for San Antonio. His underlying numbers support his point totals as well, so it wasn't luck. He has been praised by his AHL coach for his training and regiment. Everything that I've seen from reports and from first hand accounts suggest that he trains hard and works just as hard. Has he shown times of immaturity? Of course with the whole World Junior situation. Has he shown times of having an ego? Yes, with some of his post-draft interviews where he was surprised that the teams that spoke to him the most didn't draft him. But has he shown any times where he isn't willing to take the time to work for his goals? Hell no.

If people think that he won't make the NHL because of some skill or play based reasoning, then I will more than accept that line of thought. I can't accept people just wanting to project that he has the attitude of an entitled infant despite the evidence that supports the contrary. This isn't a Mitch Miller or Ryan Merkley situation where the attitudes of the athletes have led to a negative career outlook.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Okay there really isn't any evidence to support that he doesn't take his training seriously nor is the type of player that wants to take the easy way out.

I've seen this guy practice first hand and I find it hard to believe that he is the type of guy who doesn't believe in hard work. I remember back when he came to his first prospect camp after being drafted. He hadn't been in the states that long at the time yet he was always asking the trainers for help to understand the drills (or at least that's what I think he was doing given the circumstances). I'm sure that must have been a difficult thing to do for someone who had just turned 18 a few months prior in a different country on a completely different continent. He has progressed every year in the AHL where last year he was one of the most impactful players on the ice for San Antonio. His underlying numbers support his point totals as well, so it wasn't luck. He has been praised by his AHL coach for his training and regiment. Everything that I've seen from reports and from first hand accounts suggest that he trains hard and works just as hard. Has he shown times of immaturity? Of course with the whole World Junior situation. Has he shown times of having an ego? Yes, with some of his post-draft interviews where he was surprised that the teams that spoke to him the most didn't draft him. But has he shown any times where he isn't willing to take the time to work for his goals? Hell no.

If people think that he won't make the NHL because of some skill or play based reasoning, then I will more than accept that line of thought. I can't accept people just wanting to project that he has the attitude of an entitled infant despite the evidence that supports the contrary. This isn't a Mitch Miller or Ryan Merkley situation where the attitudes of the athletes have led to a negative career outlook.
Well said. My worry is that he just isn’t good enough to be impactful NHLer.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111

I don't for a second doubt his commitment to working out hard and training at max effort. I question does he have the maturity to realize that getting to the NHL is a process and unless you are a high level talent (which he isn't right now), you work hard, pay your dues, and hopefully, you make the show. His maturity is what I question the most. Look at Kyrou who has a much higher skill cap than Kostin. I've yet to see him really complain about his pathway to the NHL, and I believe that he will be rewarded with this efforts to become a complete player. Maybe going and playing in the KHL this year and only getting limited minutes will cause him to change. Its happened to players before.

I look at Hull and his time in Calgary. Now Kostin doesn't compare to Hull skill wise, but there was a sudden maturity gained when he came to the Blues and Sutter had a come to Jesus meeting with him. Maybe Kostin is due for his own enlightening?

Reactions: Vollie27

FrontYardSpecial

Jan 22, 2014
Sorry but where are the sources that point to Kostin having attitude problems? Everything I’ve heard up to this point is quite the opposite.

For example, during last year’s preseason there was an article by JR in the Athletic talking about how hard he works.
Will Klim Kostin's productive training camp performance be enough to make the Blues' roster?

Chris Butler explains how he let Kostin borrow his Life Time membership so he could work out over the All Star break. He went in the mornings and then back in the afternoons.

“This is a guy who’s shooting pucks in a storage locker at his apartment in San Antonio for two hours a day in 90-degree weather,” recalled Chris Butler, who also played with Kostin on the Rampage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad